Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hall of Fame 2007 discussion thread

• 17-02-2007 2:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭

WWE have already announced that Dusty Rhodes will go into the Hall of Fame this year.

Induction
    Dave Meltzer is now reporting that JR and Jerry Lawler will also be going into the Hall of Fame this year.

That makes for some very interesting inductions!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't think this year is the right year for the two you mentioned if Meltzer is correct. I'd rather see them go in when they've moved on.

I'd love for Macho Man to go in this year but I don't see it happening as it would definitely upstage Dusty and I doubt he'd like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

i might try get tickets for this itll be a nice extra to wresltemania,never was a fan of dusty rhodes though so i couldnt be arsed about him going in,jerry lawler should def be in but imo jr is the most overrated commentator ever,he always mixes up wrestlers,moves,dates,events,tag teams and god knows what else,and hes been spewing the same tired old catchphrases out for years,give me joey styles any day,anyway,would be cool to be in the same room with all the talent outside the event itself,and the crowds at the ceremonies are always very smart fans,remember hogans induction? they wouldnt let him talk for about 20 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

I have to argue with you there Krudler, JR is the best commentator ever, its just that recently he's began to loose the run of himself somewhat. Over the years JR's commentary has made decent matches great and his OTT comments just add to whatever was going on in the ring. Check out matches from the NWA with Ross on commentary such as the Flair Steamboat series. His commentary there is what Joey Styles aspires to. He's a shoe in for the HOF and if Lawlor gets in, he will be riding on JR's coattails imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The King will be inducted for his wrestling career, not his commentating.

He gave wrestling huge national exposure with his feud against Andy Kaufman and is one of the few people to hold a victory against Andre The Giant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Macho man would be great. If Bret Hart can be inducted than I think anyone is a possibility. The pop would be unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

The King will be inducted for his wrestling career, not his commentating..

I agree with krudler, but what chopperbyrne says is true.( I reckon it should be JR and coach commentating on raw every week.)

I am not a fan of dusty, i dont even know if i even remember him wrestling (when did he wrestle)?, I dont think i remember him. Years ago i was not much into wrestling and i know that even if i did watch wrestling i did not watch someone that look hideous to me, like dusty rhodes. I watched colourful wrestling characters back then. It is true what mr nice guy says--that dusty will not want anyone big stealing the show from him, so i reckon the king fits the bill and maybe ...ahhhh...... cant think of any right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

just say charlie mc hugh's message. i agree, they need someone big. come to think of it now they always mention the lesser names first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

People will only truly appreciate how good Jim Ross is/was when he's gone.

Dusty has always been the guy they have had in reserve. He was supposed to go in last year but with the Bret and Eddie going in as the "main event" (as described by Meltzer), they realised they could keep him for this year.

I'd love to see Randy Savage go in too.

Ricky Steamboat has to be inducted soon, but he hasn't been mentioned at all this year. The fact that he's working with WWE as a road agent makes his lack of an induction even more peculiar.
    I think I read that the Ultimate Warrior was being considered as well as Savage. Them two together, in tuxedoes no less, would be incredible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

i want roberts, di biase, lombardi and nailz. only joking just the first three.

• Advertisement

Double C wrote:
    Ricky Steamboat has to be inducted soon, but he hasn't been mentioned at all this year. The fact that he's working with WWE as a road agent makes his lack of an induction even more peculiar.

Apparently the reason why he isn't featured on tv is because his ex-wife owns from their divorce settlement the name Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat. They'd now have to feature him as as Richard Blood, his real name.

They obviously could still put him in. But from WWE' s perspective they seem to like to make money off the "main event inductee". When Hogan got in, they got a buy rate out of him next month. When Eddie got in, it came the night before Rey won which Eddie was central too in the storyline. When Bret got in it was roughly around the time his dvd got released. So maybe thats why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

DiBiase deserves to go in.

I'm not sure if they could get Savage to agree to it though.

A shame about the Ricky Steamboat thing if it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Just read that the Wild Samoans were doing an autograph signing at a WXW show and there was a sign saying that they would be inducted into the WWE HOF.

I would love to see Steamboat inducted, pity about the name thing though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

that steamboat name thing REALLY sucks....

Good to see Curt Hennig getting inducted this year, he deserves it. It was also cool to see his old promos again. That one of him throwing the football, chasing it and catching it is one of my favourites ever, soo cheesey! He was a class act and another one (to the ever expanding list) that died too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Curt Hennig absolutely deserves it, one of the best wrestlers ever. I enjoyed seeing him so much when he made his return to WWE, 5 years ago I think it was

I was curious as to whether he was on the list that Hogan gave away on the radio, just saw that he wasn't. So either it wasn't a final list, or they tried to swerve us. Doesn't matter though, Mr Perfect deserves it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

If they tried to swerve us then Hogan must still be a possibility for mania.

Good to see Mr Perfect going in.

Apparently Bruno Sammartino and Ultimate Warrior refuse to be inducted (according to wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_Hall_of_Fame)

It's about time they put the Legion of Doom in there, along with the Honky Tonk Man, Ron Simmons, Jim Duggan, Ted Dibiase, and the Killer Bees.

Ron Simmons and JBL should be inducted (as the APA and individually.

Cactus Col wrote:
    It's about time they put the Legion of Doom in there, along with the Honky Tonk Man, Ron Simmons, Jim Duggan, Ted Dibiase, and the Killer Bees.

I don't think the Killer Bees are worthy of the Hall of Fame. Although Brian Blair's speech would be fun if Sheik is in attendance...

If you have Sikluna, Johnny Rodz, George Steele and James Dudley in your wrestling hall of fame, you can pretty much make an argument for most people.

Worthiness when it comes to the WWE Hall of Fame is subject to one guy and thats Vince McMahon.

I like the Hall of Fame. And I like guys who I grew up getting recognised 1 more time for what they have done. I like the speeches. I like the video packages. I like it all. But you can't take it too seriously.

When Vince McMahons limo driver or even Tony Atlas is in his hall of fame but Thez, Wahoo McDaniels, The Crusher, Samartino, Steamboat, Rude, Backlund, Savage, the Funks, Bruiser Brody etc...are not, you have to treat it with a pinch of salt.

I include the last few names because since Vince has bought most of the tape libraries he's begun to make the hall of fame not purely exclusive to guys who have worked in the WWE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Fozzy wrote:
    Curt Hennig absolutely deserves it, one of the best wrestlers ever.

co-sign.......
    I grew up watching Curt hennig and I have to say he has always been one of my top guys,pity he never became WWE champ though.However,he more than deserves an induction into the hall of fame..great to hear that he finally is going happen
    rip curt

• Advertisement

fatal wrote:
    co-sign.......
    pity he never became WWE champ though.

He probably would have but for his back injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

triple h wrote:
    I agree with krudler, but what chopperbyrne says is true.( I reckon it should be JR and coach commentating on raw every week.)

I am not a fan of dusty, i dont even know if i even remember him wrestling (when did he wrestle)?, I dont think i remember him. Years ago i was not much into wrestling and i know that even if i did watch wrestling i did not watch someone that look hideous to me, like dusty rhodes. I watched colourful wrestling characters back then. It is true what mr nice guy says--that dusty will not want anyone big stealing the show from him, so i reckon the king fits the bill and maybe ...ahhhh...... cant think of any right now.
    just cause you never saw him or weren't interested it doesn't mean he wasn't any good. and if you dont know him or didn't follow him why do you think he won't want anyone big stealing the show from him, Dusty belongs in the hall of fame, as does Curt Hennig. The King as stated would be inducted for his wrestling career not his commentating, its sad to see the current generations think of his commentating when thinking of his work
    would also agree with other named posibilities Dibiasie, Thez, Wahoo McDaniels, The Crusher, Samartino, Steamboat, Rude, Backlund, Savage, the Funks etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I don't know if anyone here saw it, but there was a classic memphis wrestling show on TWC the other day.
    It had Lawler cutting a ****ing great promo.
    The guy was brilliant in his day and is well deserving of a place in the HOF.
    He is wasted as a face commentator on RAW and should go back to the heel commentary.

As for Dusty Rhodes, "I never saw him, so he's not deserving".
    Right, we'll just have Snitsky, Nash and the whole WCW roster in there then?

Here's a monkey.
    chewbacca.jpg

Great to see Hennig make the HOF.
    What a class act.
    One of the best heels ever.
    I grew up hating him, and isn't that what makes a good heel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Jeff Jarrett should be in the Hall Of Fame;)

As was mentioned already good to see Mr Perfect is to be inducted. They should also induct Bruiser Brody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Double J told you to say that :D
    Have to say the First two HOF announcements for this week are "Perfect"
    I'd Also like to see Randy Savage get in as well since Hogan isn't in WWE at the moment or better yet get Hogan to induct him :D

Bret Hart was giving out about the WWE again, this time for not inducting Owen into the HOF this year. He stated that it is disrespectful to the Hart family after the manner in which he died.
    What do you guys think? I'm all for Owen being inducted as I think if he hadn't of died he would be on course for induction now, but without meaning to sound disrespectful, I don't think the HOF should be clogged with guys that have passed away i.e. if Owen and Mr Perfect are inducted, what about Davey Boy, Earthquake, Bam Bam, Pillman etc. Where do you draw the line?

Double C wrote:
    , I don't think the HOF should be clogged with guys that have passed away i.e. if Owen and Mr Perfect are inducted, what about Davey Boy, Earthquake, Bam Bam, Pillman etc. Where do you draw the line?

I disagree although Vince McMahon wouldn't. He apparently doesn't like to induct too many dead people in the 1 year as its a bit of a downer which I can see his point of view on.

But any Hall of Fame in any sport should be about talent and all that entails. Plain and simple. Not whether your dead or alive. Especially in wrestling with the way it is.

A Brian Pillman or a British Bulldog would not be clogging up a WWE Hall of Fame.

On Owen, of course he deserves to be recognised. On the other hand there would be an issue with his wife who from her book totally loathes the WWE and Vince McMahon. Its tricky.

A Brian Pillman or a British Bulldog would not be clogging up a WWE Hall of Fame.

On Owen, of course he deserves to be recognised. On the other hand there would be an issue with his wife who from her book totally loathes the WWE and Vince McMahon. Its tricky.

The Bulldog should be a shoe in for induction, maybe next year coinciding with Harry's debut, but I'm not so sure about Pillman as the majority of his career was spent in WCW, although when you look at Verne Gagne's induction this may not matter.

I saw a documentary about Owen's life and his wife was naturally very hostile toward the WWE so that's why I'm surprised at what Bret had to say.

Double C wrote:

I saw a documentary about Owen's life and his wife was naturally very hostile toward the WWE so that's why I'm surprised at what Bret had to say.

Where did you see Bret's comments?

• Advertisement

On another forum.
    In a recent interview aired on Wednesday 21st of February on my local radio station Beat Fm Bret Hart stated his anger and upset at WWE’s failure to induct his late brother Owen into this years HOF. He said that their over looking of Owen was disrespectful to the Hart family to Owens fans and Owens wife.

It doesn't give a source so it my not be completely reliable, so I can only assume he said it.

One of the next inductees will be
    Nick Bockwinkel, as he was announced at a recent indy show as a soon-to-be inductee. Never saw much of him, but he's deserving

Fozzy wrote:
    One of the next inductees will be
    Nick Bockwinkel, as he was announced at a recent indy show as a soon-to-be inductee. Never saw much of him, but he's deserving

He's a very articulate guy from interviews I've heard. His speech will either be really great or go on for 4 hours.

He featured alot on the AWA DVD and was very good on that. He's a real slick Vegas kinda guy and his speech should be good fun. Again though, he never wrestled for Vince so his induction in the WWE Hall of Fame seems a bit strange to me. Obviously its just Vince doing a decent turn for him, but still.

I think he was the guy who ended Verne Gagne's 7 year title run in the AWA in the 70's.

How was that AWA dvd?

I think ever since Vince started buy all the tape libraries from the old promotions (which he can make money from through dvds, 24/7 etc...) he's begun to change ever so slowly the WWE Hall of Fame into more of a wrestling one.

Bockwinkel does have a few links to the WWE though. He worked as a road agent for the company in the 1980's. Plus he was involved in the first ever AWA vs World Wide Wrestling Federation (WWWF) World Title Unification match, wrestling WWWF Titlist, Bob Backlund, to a double count-out, on March 25, 1979.

With Larry Hennig seemingly doing his sons induction, I'd say Heenan will do the honors for Bockwinkel.

The AWA DVD is excellent, well worth a watch. Gagne is a very proud man and who had a tremendus wrestling and promoting carrer and basically produced every major star of the 80's, only for Vince to take them off his hands. ECW's complaint of WWE and WCW taking all their big stars pales in comparison to this!
    I must complement WWE on their DVD's recently, I really enjoyed the AWA, Pillamn, Piper, McMahon, Bret and Warrior DVD's and cant wait for the Four Horsemen one, although I'll be giving the new DX one a miss!
    It was not Bockwinkel but Jerry Lawlor who was the latest induction on Raw this week.

• Advertisement

Double C wrote:
    I must complement WWE on their DVD's recently, I really enjoyed the AWA, Pillamn, Piper, McMahon, Bret and Warrior DVD's and cant wait for the Four Horsemen one, although I'll be giving the new DX one a miss!

]

Your right. Genrally you get your moneys worth and then some with the dvds they produce.

If your into some of the old stuff I'd really recommend the Heroes of World Class dvd. It wasn't done by the WWE but it is phenomenal.

Heres a link to it: http://www.highspots.com/product.asp?id=14894

A bunch of people review it underneath. Again I'd really recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

The King to be inducted into the hall of fame. I was surprised at this. Do you think he deserves it?

As a commentator, maybe, if you look at his work from a few years ago. As a wrestler, absolutely. He was a huge draw in Memphis when they were basically the centre of the wrestling universe. He's also worked as a promoter and booker, which he deserves credit for. The way he's portrayed in WWE these days, you wouldn't be led to believe how popular he was in Memphis. He was constantly winning and losing the belt there, but the fans never tired of him. I think he ran for mayor of Memphis a few years ago and finished very high, even though he did no campaigning

I think he's got the record for most ever title reigns too, over 100. And when you think of how he helped bring wrestling to mainstream America with Andy Kaufman, he definitely deserves to be recognised for his achievements

If your into some of the old stuff I'd really recommend the Heroes of World Class dvd. It wasn't done by the WWE but it is phenomenal.

Heres a link to it: http://www.highspots.com/product.asp?id=14894

Nice one, I'll see if I can get my hands on it, I want to see more of the von Erich's story, sad and all as it's going to be. Cheers fore the link.

Just an update from the observer site:

When Jerry Lawler was given word he was going into the WWE Hall of Fame and asked who he wanted to induct him, he immediately said, "Lance Russell." Panic attacks went off from Kevin Dunn who had to talk him out of it saying, "Nobody knows who Lance Russell is."

That bugs me. It would be really great to see Lance Russell induct Lawler.

• Advertisement

I guess J.R. will induct him then. I wonder what the odds are for The Kat to do the honours? :)

That's a bit stupid. Lance Russell could easily win over anyone who doesn't know him. What's the big deal with the inductor having to be well known? Is it even going to be on tv this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I guess J.R. will induct him then. I wonder what the odds are for The Kat to do the honours? :)

JR is supposedly going to get inducted this year, by Austin I would guess. I think someone like Andy Kaufman will induct 'The King'.

Unfortunately Andy's been dead for 20 or so years. I wouldn't be surprised if Andy's friend....Bob Zmuda, I think his name is..inducted Lawler. Or possibly Brian Christopher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Fozzy wrote:
    Unfortunately Andy's been dead for 20 or so years.

That could present a problem alright. I never thought of Brian Christopher, but that seems unlikely as he is not under WWE contract.

Jimmy Hart for the Lawler induction maybe. Both are pretty close.

Could be a good call. Hart's involved with Hogan having a match with Jerry Lawler in Memphis sometime soon (which I'm actually shocked by)

Speculating on the inductors is more fun than guessing the inductees, haha

No surprises with Nick Bockwinkel being announced this week.

Any ideas who else will be inducted?

I'd assume JR and Afa and Sika will be, since there's been a lot of rumours about them. The Wrestling Observer's reported something about Ric Flair being touted for an induction next year

From yesterdays observer update:

Mr. Fuji will be going into the WWE Hall of Fame this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement