Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend me a FAST Automatic Diesel Estate that isn't....

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

There are no fast automatic diesel estate that is not german

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

There are no fast automatic diesel estate that is not german

...unfortunately....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

How fast does it need to be? The fastest non-German diesel auto saloon I can think of within budget is an Alfa 166 2.4JTD auto. Stock 175BHP and easily chipped to a lot more (200+). 0-100km/h in 8.9s

I could be wrong but none of the other diesels mentioned in this thread even break 10s in the 0-100km/h sprint iirc

Personally I'd go with a BMW530d or import a BMW330d from the UK although the latter is probably out of budget with VRT and all

Edit: oops you're looking for an estate! Does the Alfa 156 sportswagon with the same engine come with selespeed?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd say your best bet is to go to the UK and find a Ford Mondeo estate either with the 2.0 TDCi 130bhp engine or the ST220. Might be hard to find a nice clean ST220 2.2 TDCi though for €18k including VRT.

Edit: Actually I think the Mondeo is built in Germany these days too.

Import a Lancer Evo Estate for the win. :)

Ninja Edit: Ooops I see It meets none of your requirements but hey its probably the most powerful and fun estate to be had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

I'm sorry, but this thread is silly, only german cars have the big diesel engines and BMW/AUDI build the best out there, in your budget, the E39 530d touring , or the Audi A4/A6 Avant 2.6 TDI or if your lucky 3.0 TDI but probably not for 18K.

Not much out there can beat them in Diesel form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

SEAT ALTEA FR (170Bhp) With the DSG option, you could import an 05 from the UK.

German engineering without the badge, I have one in the 140 bhp tuned engine and that's fairly fast, so I'd say the 170bhp version would be a rocket.

Not an estate but a very competent half way house.

Here’s my Sport version :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Mc-BigE wrote:
    I'm sorry, but this thread is silly, only german cars have the big diesel engines and BMW/AUDI build the best out there, in your budget, the E39 530d touring , or the Audi A4/A6 Avant 2.6 TDI or if your lucky 3.0 TDI but probably not for 18K.

I agree and I think your best option would be to locate an Audi A6 2.5 TDI Quattro. This has 180bhp and is an animal on the road. Lovely V6 diesel. Beware the 2.5 non-quattro is only 150bhp. Quattro is what you want. UK have lots of them.

Mc-BigE wrote:
    I'm sorry, but this thread is silly, only german cars have the big diesel engines

And not much word back from the OP. Anyone mind if I close this now?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Honda Accord Aerodeck 2.2 iCTDI? Unfortunately not available as an autobox though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Mc-BigE wrote:

Fiat and PSA both make superior diesel engines too BMW & VAG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

prospect wrote:
    Fiat and PSA both make superior diesel engines too BMW & VAG.
    Which is why I suggested the only non-german 200bhp diesel estate, therefore meeting the criteria, but for some reason that wasn't good enough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Biro wrote:
    Which is why I suggested the only non-german 200bhp diesel estate, therefore meeting the criteria, but for some reason that wasn't good enough!!

Ahh you get used to the mis-informed 'bandwagonism' that plagues this forum.

:D

Wait till the Fiat 3.0V6 diesel is released.... when seemingly Saab will take the current Fiat 2.4Jtd on the 9-3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

Why does it have to be diesel? Is it some kind of company car/tax reason? Just wondering as otherwise some of the comments don't really make sense e.g.
    -3Litre being no problem
    -it needs at least 35mpg -> not that amazing even for a petrol when the majority of travel will be on motorway. Then you say you would sacrifice economy before power so surely its not that essential for it to be diesel if you're willing to go below 35mpg.

You mentioned maintenance costs being a major issue but don't diesels have to be serviced more regularly than petrol.

Also can't understand anything French or Italien being considered if reliability is a big concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 lugnut

I haven't replied before now as been on a few days break in a remote cottage in Galway and herself made me promise no phone or internet or else!!! (There's a lot to be said for it, great few days ;) ).
    GB15 wrote:
    Why does it have to be diesel? Is it some kind of company car/tax reason? Just wondering as otherwise some of the comments don't really make sense e.g.
    -3Litre being no problem
    -it needs at least 35mpg -> not that amazing even for a petrol when the majority of travel will be on motorway. Then you say you would sacrifice economy before power so surely its not that essential for it to be diesel if you're willing to go below 35mpg.

You mentioned maintenance costs being a major issue but don't diesels have to be serviced more regularly than petrol.

Also can't understand anything French or Italien being considered if reliability is a big concern.

Thank you everyone for the replies so far (I'm amazed at the amount of them and the quality of the suggestions) - unfortunately no one has managed to come up with a "fast automatic diesel estate that isn't German" but this is as I expected :(

To answer a few questions....

The company I work for gives 2 options - A crappy bog standard estate repmobile fully paid for or a *very* generous car allowance so you can run your own car (They only pay for fuel) with the only stipulation being that the car is diesel (They claim back the VAT I presume) and 'officially' does a minimum of 35mpg (I can't go below this, sorry if I gave the wrong impression).

The 'allowance' we get is based to an extent on engine cc, up to & including 3L, so almost negates the extra tax & ins (Not an irish Company obviously ;) )

Maintenance costs ARE a major issue as they come straight out of my pocket - I would only consider an italian marque if it had a PSA engine and even then with trepidation (Ran a Fiat from 28k to 115k and it was quiet good, never a bother from the engine but electrics cost me a fair few bob thinking back on it)..... The current car I run is a '98 Pug 406 auto diesel estate bought at 35k and currently at 257k and it has never left me down, has never had a major repair and doesn't feel like it ever will need one (Hence my affinity to Peugeot now - overall this car has been unbelievably inexpensive to run).

AlanD - I test drove an A6 Allroad yesterday in the UK, 180bhp 4wd, what an amazing car.... Has me reconsidering my non-German stipulation being honest!

Biro wrote:
    From Alfaromero.ie - 5 Dr 2.4 JTD Sportivo QTronic 49,000 .... 49k is a tad outside the criteria considering the budget is 18k ;-)
    Even the cheapest 2nd hand one is still going to be WAY too expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

he said 156 not 159, get them for peanuts, nice car too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

volvo.

comes with free pirate memory game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think a high mileage Alfa Diesel would depreciate like the titanic. At least you get something back on a German Diesel Estate.

Cyrus wrote:
    he said 156 not 159, get them for peanuts, nice car too :D

No doubt a nice car but I think better suited to use by an enthuisiast as opposed to being used as an unloved workhorse.
    If I was doing a lot less miles the Alfa would be a serious contender!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

A few days in remote Galway and off to test drive an A6 in the UK - hope you didn't have to drive that distance or you really do need something reliable!! ;)

I had a spin in an Allroad recently at work (depressing really some of the machines in the carpark where i work!) - the thing goes like a rocket but he's had a fair few problems with it - all sorted under warranty though. Wouldn't mind one myself if i didn't have to pay for repairs!

I wish the Japs would sink a 3+ litre diesel into saloons & estates - then we'd all be happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Stephen wrote:
    Honda Accord Aerodeck 2.2 iCTDI? Unfortunately not available as an autobox though.

did you read the posters question???:mad: rolleyes..................

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

what_car wrote:
    did you read the posters question???:mad: rolleyes..................

Jeez - chill out a bit :rolleyes: - you're not a Mod just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

DukeDredd wrote:
    ... Allroad .... the thing goes like a rocket but he's had a fair few problems with it - all sorted under warranty though. Wouldn't mind one myself if i didn't have to pay for repairs!

I can concur with that.........know someone who bought it new. No shortage of electric/electronic problems. I saw an 01 for sale in the UK a while ago for 9k. If they were that good, residuals would be much higher..........

530d Touring is yer man, it seems............dunno about the 35mpg, though.......and 18k isn't enough, either........

thought: if the car did less than the 35, say, 30 - couldn't the co just pay for the 35, and you pick up the difference?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

lugnut wrote:
    No doubt a nice car but I think better suited to use by an enthuisiast as opposed to being used as an unloved workhorse.
    If I was doing a lot less miles the Alfa would be a serious contender!
    Whether you like it or not, I do believe it fits your original criteria. I don't agree with your PSA statement though. PSA diesels are excellent, but so too are the Fiat ones. Ask any Vectra or 9-3/9-5 diesel owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

One of our company directors has an 04 530d beemer.

That yoke has been at the dealers more than he has driven it. It had a gazillion electric faults,from just niggely to pretty severe. For example it just stopped working for no reason and shut down completely while driving along on the motorway two or three times, not to mention the times when he could only get it to "limp home".

Late last year he finally got the whole wiring loom replaced and only since then has it been driving like it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

peasant wrote:
    One of our company directors has an 04 530d beemer.

That yoke has been at the dealers more than he has driven it. It had a gazillion electric faults,from just niggely to pretty severe. For example it just stopped working for no reason and shut down completely while driving along on the motorway two or three times, not to mention the times when he could only get it to "limp home".

Late last year he finally got the whole wiring loom replaced and only since then has it been driving like it should.
    That was the first of the new model e60 5 series. There were a lot of problems with this model early on. The modle that is going to sit in the OPs budget wil be the e39 5 series 530D, this is a much more reliable proposition for a software/electrics point of view. Having said that I have heard of a few turbos going on these....
    If you are looking for horror stories on any car I'm sure they will pop up.

Mc-BigE wrote:
    BMW 530d touring within 18K euros.

Good deal but not quite within budget. Current bid is £9,075 so we're talking €20k including VRT. Also the reserve has not yet been met, so the final costs will go up further

• Advertisement

is 6772 euros vrt according to the website and the car will probably make more than 10 or 11k stg. so thats more like 23K euros by the time its in Ireland

There are cheaper cars, but the sport model with the extra's would be worth getting the extra cash for IMO.

Advertisement