Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Token Ring fanboys meeting

Options
  • 16-02-2007 11:47am
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭

watty wrote:
    ...IBM AS/400 mainframe...
    I've got one under my desk right now (taking up valuable knee room). It's only got a Token Ring network adapter. I demand that my ISP give me a TR-compatible modem...

...oh wait, I am my ISP...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

oscarBravo wrote:
    I've got one under my desk right now (taking up valuable knee room). It's only got a Token Ring network adapter. I demand that my ISP give me a TR-compatible modem...

...oh wait, I am my ISP...

I am sure good old Madge will be able to knock one up for you!! :)

http://www.madge.com/

May even make you a WiFi enabled one too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I did once knock up a TR to ethernet Bridge using a 486-66 & NT4.0 I still have a bunch of ISA 16Mbps TR adaptors, a Mau (or was it a Cow? Some kind of hub ring thingy for T/R) and sundry RJ45, 9pin and Haemaphoditic T/R connectors.

I wonder is it worth sticking it all on eBay. Along with the 8" floppy drive and Baby AT clone 16MHz 286 Motherboards.

If it's ADSL and ethernet, then Vista Certification is irrelevent. Even Vista can connect to ANY ethernet based IP network. Unless you got some wierd non-Vista compatible HW that has an unsupported built in Network port?

Out of curiousity I installed a USB stack on NT4.0 once, of course even though the Win2K drivers would have worked they wouldn't install because the OS signature was wrong. I later installed the driver on W2K, copied all the files and registry entries to the NT4.0 system and indeed the USB scanner did work.

I'm sure though that this approach of manually installing a driver won't work to get an XP driver on Vista. It's only for lunatics anyway. Vista already has fairly identical USB to XP, so if the driver won't install it is not going to work.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

watty wrote:
    I did once knock up a TR to ethernet Bridge using a 486-66 & NT4.0 I still have a bunch of ISA 16Mbps TR adaptors, a Mau (or was it a Cow? Some kind of hub ring thingy for T/R) and sundry RJ45, 9pin and Haemaphoditic T/R connectors.
    I built a bridge myself - Pentium-90 running Debian and bridge-utils. I scavenged it for parts and haven't bothered replacing it; I never turn the '400 on. MAU is the correct term - Multistation Access Unit. Like a hub, but passive - powered by the ring itself.

Could we be any more off topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

oscarBravo wrote:

Could we be any more off topic?

Well, I think we have illustrated there is stuff out there beyond Win98/2K/XP and OS X. And none of it works with anybody's USB modem.

Your attic must be as bad as mine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement