Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supreme Commander

Options
  • 17-02-2007 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭

I'm amazed someone hasn't started a thread about this since it was released yesterday.

I got the beta a couple of weeks ago but it ran terribly as soon as a war got into full swing. The full version runs much better but I'm on the second mission and its already gone unplayable on the lowest setting. :o 1v1 skirmishes are still possible on the smallest maps but its still down under 10fps in anything heavy, so I've no real impressions yet, got an A64 X2 on order that should improve things dramatically. This game really needs a dual core CPU.

My specs for anyone interested:
    A64 3700+
    ATI X850XT
    2GB ram
    Clean windows install

Anyone else playing it? What are you specs and how is it running.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mac_leinn

Have it ordered from play.com. Was hoping it would arrive yesterday but no joy. :(
    Currently playing the demo on A64 3800+, 7900GT and 2GB DDR2-800MHz. The skirmish map and single player campaign in the demo sure does slow down once you have a couple of hundred units.

Which X2 did you order? (And would you mind posting back how much of a difference it makes please :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Try playing against other people online Ciaran, it's the AI that really kills it. I'm sure you could do 1v1 online with no slowdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

mac_leinn wrote:
    Which X2 did you order? (And would you mind posting back how much of a difference it makes please :) )
    I went for the 4200+ for about €150 from ebay.com
    Try playing against other people online Ciaran, it's the AI that really kills it. I'm sure you could do 1v1 online with no slowdown.
    I can't :( I've a "special" version of the game while I wait for An Post to deliver mine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Hmmm.. Been playing this for a few hours. My PC is well up to the job but it's just not 'ground breaking' like I was expecting. Maybe I'll change my mind as I progress:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I'm amazed someone hasn't started a thread about this since it was released yesterday.

There's threads on it on the strategy board....

myself and a few of the others were all in the beta, been playing some ranked matches this weekend, has been great, like shooting fish in a barrel ;)

• Advertisement

LoGiE wrote:
    Hmmm.. Been playing this for a few hours. My PC is well up to the job but it's just not 'ground breaking' like I was expecting. Maybe I'll change my mind as I progress:(
    online multiplayer ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

They need to get some patchs out theres no way this game should run so badly

Its still fun enough in muiltyplayer though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

A friend of mine bought it but won't have a machine to handle it for a month, so he bought me a copy too in exchange for letting him play on my machine. :)

From looking over his shoulder, it's quite pretty, it's very big (I like the zooming out to look at the whole continent, the scale of the thing is impressive in itself) and it looks like fun. I'll be having a go myself later today (I'm scared of going back to Okami and losing another 18 hours of my week...)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

got this the other day but only got round to playing today. very enjoyable, moreso then c&c generals (imo). extremely easy to use (i say this as someone who usually sticks to FPS on PC), etc. etc.

as for it running, it runs smooth as a whistle on my system. when full on war wages (loads of skirmishes and units all over the place, nearly filling parts of the screen type war) it starts to jump a bit, but it's never unplayable...

a64 3700+
    7600GT
    1.5GB RAM

as for it running, it runs smooth as a whistle on my system. when full on war wages (loads of skirmishes and units all over the place, nearly filling parts of the screen type war) it starts to jump a bit, but it's never unplayable...

a64 3700+
    7600GT
    1.5GB RAM
    :confused::confused::confused:

We should have to exact same performance, hope its not a ATI specific problem >_<

Do you know what FPS you are getting?

EDIT: Found a way to improve performance massively. In dxdiag set the audio acceleration to basic, I've gone from about 7fps nearly 30fps on the same map :D

This problem doesn't affect all sound cards but its worth a try if you are having serious performance issues.

• Advertisement

i've an X1900XT on pc and X1600 on laptop SC runs fine on both, maybe driver version?

got this the other day but only got round to playing today. very enjoyable, moreso then c&c generals (imo).
    Oh i agree, first properly addictive RTS i've played i years....i've played 2x more hours this weekend than i've slept :D

i've an X1900XT on pc and X1600 on laptop SC runs fine on both, maybe driver version?
    But what about the rest of your PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

/me stares in shock..

Its out? Holy shit.

/me runs to shop.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    But what about the rest of your PC?
    one 4200 X2 and the other is a core 2 duo 2.33ghz`(both have 2gigs of ram) ... i was more saying that there isn't any ATI related bug in the game...

one 4200 X2 and the other is a core 2 duo 2.33ghz`(both have 2gigs of ram) ... i was more saying that there isn't any ATI related bug in the game...
    Yeah after experimenting more its definitely down to my sound card. With the built in benchmark the game goes from unplayable to silky smooth when I disable the sound.

To run the performance test create a new shortcut to SupComm, right click on it, got to properties and add /map Perftest to the end of the target line. Add /nosound aswell if you want to disable sound.

cool handy to know, what snd card you got?

X-Mystique 7.1 Digital Live, but the chip it uses is from C-media which afaik makes chips for lots of sound cards so I doubt it just mine thats affected.

aye i wonder does it require alot of cpu time to do the sound, i've had that problem with some of the onboard sound cards i've used, or could just be some incompatiblity alright

That perf test is pretty cool. Got a 1.7 in 1680x1050 with the low preset. Got 39.8 in 1680x1050 with medium preset. Wonder what the huge difference between scores is, they were both totally smooth. Also, the fight between the MLs and the GC went differently on the two settings...
    On low the GC died from being Monkey lasered is the back, on Medium he didn't die till his head became ground zero for the nuking. How odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I don't see why so many people are having problems with performance, it runs fine on my dc 3800+ and 7800GTX :S

Great game tho, the single player is really challenging :)

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

On the Sound: Onboard and most non-creative cards do software emulation of EAX, ties up your CPU pretty badly. If you enable EAX/Directsound3d make sure your card hardware accelerates it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I've an FX-57, 7800 GTX and an X-fi Fatal1ty. The performance is pretty poor. Every other game runs like a dream. So either it REALLY needs a dual core cpu or else there is something we dont see.

It really needs a dual core. If you had an 80 euro PD805 it'd run just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Medium settings w/ sound  - 201.1   FPS: min[1.98] max[18.07] avg[ 7.082]
    Low settings    w/ sound  - 98.1    FPS: min[3.70] max[35.96] avg[15.870]
    Low settings    Wo/ sound - 80.7    FPS: min[3.90] max[37.67] avg[18.556]

2.4 P4
    9800pro
    1Gb Ram.
    Some soundblaster 2.1 card, nothing too fancy.

Loving the game. Although it is a shame having to run in 1024x768 (or whatever the lowest res is) on a 20" widescreen (1680x1050 native). :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Just a note on performance.

I have a 3.2 pentium, Radeon X850XT and 2 Gig of decent RAM. Ran without problems on low/medium setting with four players and 500 unit cap.

My best piece of advice: If you haven't noticed already, the military overlay (the one that shows a ring around the unit's weapon range) annihilates my FPS. Could be running smooth at 40ish and it would crash to 10 or so with the overlay on. So, just in case anyone has it left on by default, kill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

here is the one thing supreme commander doesnt have

KANE LIVES!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

also if you press ctrl + v it will switch the camers to free view, so it get's rid of all the unit structures healthbars...but it also get's rid of the icons on the map too which is a bit weird. tho it does improve performance.

CC

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    here is the one thing supreme commander doesnt have

KANE LIVES!
    lolz, go off to some C&C thread, it'll just be more EA style crap no doubt like generals/ZH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

dont care about the game...its the classic C&C cutscenes all i'm interested in.

Advertisement