Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB memory key/thumb drive problem

• 17-02-2007 12:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭

So the other day i was testing out a drive to see was it bad. So I chucked it into my external enclosure and connected up to USB. Anyways the drive was dead. But ever since then no memory key/thumb drive will show up on 'My Computer' anymore. The USB ports work fine for everything else, for anything that is USB Mass Storage.... no go. So I went into the disk management console and it showed up there alas without a drive letter. So I assign a letter...( completely random one like .... N) but it doesn't still show up on my computer. I can open and explore from the Computer management console, but why not from My Computer? I also have to re assign a drive letter everytime in Computer management also.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

So I uninstalled all USB etc from device manager. Restarted machine and they all reinstalled ok. But problem persists.

External HD enclosure seems to work fine (with a working HD this time:)) so the problem seems to be only for USB memory keys. Ideas? I'm all out. Google is tough on this problem because many USB issues are device specific. Very hard to find an identical situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Is the value for "start" set to 3 under this key in the registry?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR

petes wrote:
    Is the value for "start" set to 3 under this key in the registry?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR

Yes. Hexadecimal 3.

Advertisement