Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

It's Official - (Kind Of) Skoda Top Car Maker

Options
  • 17-02-2007 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

The new Top Gear survey just published has THREE Skoda models in the top 10 Octavia at number 3, Fabia at 4 and Superb at 7 stealing Lexus's thunder.

We told you so!

http://www.topgear.com/survey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Kool and I own a Skoda :) ....also take note people that the bottom of the survey is frequented by all things French! So the next time people are giving out to Junkyard for slagging them off, I think this survey is proof enough of his claims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

edited as I was sort of wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

eamon234 wrote:
    The new Top Gear survey just published has THREE Skoda models in the top 10 Octavia at number 3, Fabia at 4 and Superb at 7 stealing Lexus's thunder.

We told you so!

http://www.topgear.com/survey

The majority of these surveys are paid for by motor manufacturers anyway and I wouldn't take any notice of them. Word of mouth from people in the know is the way to go as far as I'm concerned and that goes for everything, global warming, cars, washing machines and pretty much everything else.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As has been said many times before, satisfaction surveys such as this are seriously flawed and by no means objective or scientific.

For example, compare the results for Fabia with the much poorer results for its close cousins the Polo and Ibiza.

Also, Top Gear is no longer a motoring programme, it's more akin to The Three Stooges than anything else these days. Millions of people watch it but how many of them actually have a real interest in cars. TBH I wouldn't want to rely on a survey organised by Top Gear to tell me anything useful about cars.

In summary, the TG survey is a load of bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

junkyard wrote:
    The majority of these surveys are paid for by motor manufacturers anyway and I wouldn't take any notice of them. Word of mouth from people in the know is the way to go as far as I'm concerned and that goes for everything, global warming, cars, washing machines and pretty much everything else.:)

The survey was conducted independently by Experian who are a highly reputable company and covered 56000 car owners. Sounds like word of mouth to me.

I agree about TG not really being a motoring prog anymore but the magazine is still pretty good and the show is really just an extension of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eamon234 wrote:
    The survey was conducted independently by Experian who are a highly reputable company and covered 56000 car owners. Sounds like word of mouth to me.

Can you not enter these surveys online, ie a few multiple choice dropdown menus?

Hardly conclusive.

The catagories are slightly flawed.

The dealer service one is all to do with how good/bad a dealer is and no reflection on the car itself.

Driving experience is very subjective and will depend on what you've driven before or pre-concieved views.

Ownership costs will include anything. I mean if someone buys a golf and it uses twice as much oil as their last car they are going toput that down as a serious bad point. Some cars use more oil thanothers. Service costs will also swing this one, which again is kind of down to dealers not the car.

Build quality is fairly straight forward.
    Apart from some people might think that kids should be able to swing out of parts of the car and it should be indestructable.

Craftsmanship can be very subjective for a lot while I'm willing to bet a fair amount of people tend to lump this in as being the same as build quality.

Personnally I prefer to go with my own opinions of what I like and my experiences. Havnt been let down by these yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Stekelly wrote:
    Ownership costs will include anything. I mean if someone buys a golf and it uses twice as much oil as their last car they are going toput that down as a serious bad point. Some cars use more oil thanothers. Service costs will also swing this one, which again is kind of down to dealers not the car.
    The ownership costs rating is one of the most telling clues that the survey is a load of crap. Just looking through some of the ratings
    Merc A class: 1 out of 5 stars for running costs
    Renault Megane: 2 out of 5
    Jaguar XJ6/8/12: 4 out of 5

:rolleyes: Leaving aside servicing and fuel costs how much does a new Jag XJ cost in depreciation in a year and how does this compare to the price of a new A class or Megane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

In fairness Experian is a well respected company, and they are a pretty big contractor to the british government.

Still, these surveys are completely flawed and prove nothing really.

Advertisement