Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fruit Trees from Aldi

Options
  • 17-02-2007 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Anyone ever buy fruit tress from Aldi before?there is an offer on Thursday on them at 6euro each sounds good.Did anyone ever experience problems with these trees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

saw these too, would you need a garden to grow them or would a big pot do? Would they need much tlc?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭sean_0

cormie wrote:
    saw these too, would you need a garden to grow them or would a big pot do?

This can only be done if the fruit has been grafted onto an extremely dwarfing rootstock. Unfortunately aldi ( and lidl) don't provide information about the rootstock used. It would be a complete gamble to try this but I suppose for €6 you could have a go. As far as I know there is no such rootstock available for plums so don't even try that.

Also, you need to make sure that the tree you are buying is self-fertile, or else buy two (or maybe three!) trees to providle cross pollination.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

sean_0 wrote:
    This can only be done if the fruit has been grafted onto an extremely dwarfing rootstock. Unfortunately aldi ( and lidl) don't provide information about the rootstock used. It would be a complete gamble to try this but I suppose for €6 you could have a go. As far as I know there is no such rootstock available for plums so don't even try that.

Also, you need to make sure that the tree you are buying is self-fertile, or else buy two (or maybe three!) trees to providle cross pollination.

Very true, Firstly, What fruits are on offer?

I doubt very much if they are dwarf varieties, so I wouldn't try potting them, but a corner in the garden would do nicely space them about 2 an a half foot apart and buy two of any variety to be on the safe side. I have gooseberries, raspberries and blackcurrants in my garden and have had no problem with them bought them cheaply too..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

parents bought some of these in the year before last, loads of fruit on them this year, the poor trees were straining. they got pears and apples i think

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

Got an LIDL apple tree last year and it flowered and bore fruit . You should be fine for pollination in the suburbs where there are plenty of gardens .
    I dont know if anybody else does this , but I get a few twigs of pear flower from a friend and put them in a jam jar at the base of my lonely pear tree ( same for my holly) and IMHO results for the last few years have been better and much more consistant.
    pjq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

artieanna wrote:
    Very true, Firstly, What fruits are on offer?

Ispace them about 2 an a half foot apart and buy two of any variety to be on the safe side. .

Not sure if 2.5 ft apart would be much good for most fruit trees. I suggest 8-15 ft apart depending on the rootstock and eventual branch spread.

The rule of thumb is the trees should be spaced at their eventual branch span. I.e. 10 ft span in 5 years - then plant 10 ft apart

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

well I'm not really on about trees like apple, pear, naturally if they grow large they need more space...
    I mean for fruit bushes like blackcurrant, raspberry, gooseberry...

they're growth habit is much less than trees and I have mine spaced at about two and half feet apart and they are quiet comfortable:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Just bought the above and concerned that I have no other peach tree for cross pollination. Will it still bear fruit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Peach tree from Lidl

Just bought the above and concerned that I have no other peach tree for cross pollination. Will it still bear fruit?

you could try this Google for info ..... it seems that some varieties are self pollinating ....

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=peach+tree+pollination&spell=1

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Pure Mule

Just jumped into Aldi's web site & saw nothing about fruit trees, but the weekend before last I got three soft fruit bushes for 1.99 & I've planted them so looking forward to black & red currants

• Advertisement
Advertisement