Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sharing esat bt dsl connection

Options
  • 17-02-2007 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

a friend in work has esat bb and got basic modem with1x rj45 and 1x usb port. know nothing about this modem myself, but can i use a switch to share the connection between 2 pc's or do i need use a router. if a router is needed ,i have a spare linksys wrt54g , can i preconfigure it so he can plug it in and it will work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A switch will work fine. You could use the Linksys router, but the BT modem is a router too, so you'll have to configure one of them to be a bridge.

Simplest thing to do is just get him to buy a small 4 port switch.

I believe you can also connect two PCs to this modem, one via USB and on on ethernet, but I've never done this and I'm not too sure how reliable it is. I found the USB connection on my modem to be quite crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

cheers , think i might have a switch somewhere.

Advertisement