Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home network : main pc master browser how do i define other pc to prevent conflicts

Options
  • 17-02-2007 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

details from event viewer below can anybody explain what steps i should take to prevent reoccurence, same message occurs many times in event viewer

i use laptop downstairs with wireless connection and i presume this is why connection keepsdropping

Details
    Product: Windows Operating System
    Event ID: 8003
    Source: MRxSmb
    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_BOWSER_OTHER_MASTER_ON_NET
    Message: The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer %2 that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport %3. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

Explanation
    This computer is a master browser, and another computer has announced that it is the master browser. There can be only one master browser on a subnet at any given time. This message is logged for informational purposes only.

The existence of two browser masters occurs when a second computer cannot contact the master browser for some reason: for example, when there are name resolution problems or the master browser is too busy to respond. When the original master browser receives a master announcement from the second computer, the master browser tries to resolve the conflict by ending its status as a master server, forcing an election, or both.

The choice of these actions depends on the status of the two computers: for example, whether one or both are domain controllers, primary domain controllers or Windows for Workgroups computers, and whether this computer lost an election earlier. For more information about browsing, see Appendix I: Windows 2000 Server Browser Service on the Microsoft Technet Web site.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

You could try stopping & disabling the "Computer Browser" service on one or the other PC.
    It could be just symptomatic of a different problem, but see if that works.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There is a registry setting to disable master browsing. - Is the culprit 98 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Urgh, now I'm having a win98 flashback :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

thanks for replies

laptop is new purchase, xp pro on it at the mo

will try the registry setting which setting is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Unless you're actually seeing any issues (unable to browse the network etc.) I wouldn't worry about it, it's a natural part of Netbios functionality. As for the connection drops I think it's the other way around, you are seeing the alerts as the dropped connection reforms and the 'new' connection forces an election.

• Advertisement
Advertisement