Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Language Tattoos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Sort of, closer to free drugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

at least she doesnt have to look at it i guess:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭the demon

i wonder does she have a queue of junkies following her waitin for the handouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Seeing as how this is all going, David BEckham has a tattoo in Sanskrit (I think) that is supposed to say 'Victoria' but somewhere along the line someone got mixed up or mis-spelt the word so it doesn't actually mean anything at all.

Now if a guy that wealthy, with a team of employees to look after him can't get it right what hope is there for anyone else? :)

OP, just be very, very careful, even your friends could take the piss. Years ago I remember thinking it was funny yo teach an American friend of mine that 'Tiocfaidh ár lá' was the Irish for 'Thank you very much' . The guy was in and out of every shop in Dublin shouting 'Tiocfaidh ár lá' at sales assistants and even a Garda who gave him directions when he got lost :o Wasn't so funny then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Oh man... my friend just told me she messaged a girl on Myspace with a tattoo that said Drug'ail Saor! Kind of feel sorry for her now... the whole country is laughing at her... ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

A freind of mine returned from viet-nam with a henna tattoo that became infected and left a scar.he was told it meant "tiger" but later found out from a vietnamese bloke in a shop that it actaully meant "pig".he was lucky on a couple of counts...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Junior

How does a Henna Tattoo become infected ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Junior wrote:
    How does a Henna Tattoo become infected ?

If they use a metallic black hair dye instead of real henna which is brown and doesnt look as cool.A lot of people are allergic to it and it becomes a big scabby,swollen mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Reality check

I agree with Gauge-that American chick getting an Irish tatto is a KNOBHEAD and deserves to have the piss taken out of her. Who takes themselves that seriously that they dont do the research? UH-A TATTOO DOESNT COME OFF! I dont know why people want to get tattoo's in other languages that mean nothing to them anyway. Why would you want a japanese tattoo of you have no japanese heritage? that makes no sense to me and personally If I was of the foreign culture who's tattoo someone had decided to implant on their body because they thought it was cool-I'd be insulted. Luckily for this American girl-the Irish will just laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Well at least Daiyne (the girl with the terrible tat) realises it's wrong, and hopefully that she's a twit for:
    (a) getting a tattoo in a language she knows nothing about and has no connections to.
    (b) not putting much research into the meaning of what she was getting done so as to at least make sure it was correct.

A stupid Yank getting a tattoo in Irish because they think it makes it cooler... and people on AH wonder why many feel those in the US have some daft obsession with Ireland and desire to claim some connection to Ireland. Dear, oh dear....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Her biggest mistake was putting it up on the 'net. How many people in the States would have even known it was wrong? If she was at least allowed to believe that the tattoo was a proper translation she would have happily gone on through her life thinking she had something cool on her.

Why would someone get "Drug Free" tattooed on them anyway? I know everybody has their own reason's for getting tats but to get a tattoo to represent what you're not seems a bit strange to me. That could end up being a fairly long list hehe.

Unless she had been a user and then stopped, that would make sense I suppose.

hmmmm......

farohar wrote:
    Well at least Daiyne (the girl with the terrible tat) realises it's wrong, and hopefully that she's a twit for:
    (a) getting a tattoo in a language she knows nothing about and has no connections to.
    (b) not putting much research into the meaning of what she was getting done so as to at least make sure it was correct.

A stupid Yank getting a tattoo in Irish because they think it makes it cooler... and people on AH wonder why many feel those in the US have some daft obsession with Ireland and desire to claim some connection to Ireland. Dear, oh dear....

She knows it's wrong but she still doesn't care. Oh, and according to her IAM page, she's looking to get her name changed to an Irish- pardon me, Gaelic version. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

This still makes me laugh :p What an ass.

Gauge wrote:
    She knows it's wrong but she still doesn't care. Oh, and according to her IAM page, she's looking to get her name changed to an Irish- pardon me, Gaelic version. Ugh.
    There's a great phrase people use for people who do these things...

what was it again...

oh yeah!

Stupid American!:D

I know this is kind of off topic, but it reminds me of people and their random kanji tattoos: 'Yeah, this means 'Strength'. Isn't it cooool?' In addition to offering free drugs, she has a whole bunch of other random symbols tattooed. And they all have MEANINGS!:

c6iirf8uey9.th.jpg

This is the symbol for 'rebirth'. Not to be confused with the symbol for 'spiral'. Just like her Free Drugs tattoo, I'm sure her Irish friends are intimately familiar with Megalithic symbolism as they are with the 'Gaelic' language.

qfpnv2i8no0.th.jpg

A 'Triskelle [sic]'. It means reincarnation. Got it? The Celts told her so. Reincarnation.

ff5wql8pib9.th.jpg

And here we have a celtic symbol for 'half hearted celtic knot.' Oh wait, family. If you say so. Apparently she has 'Teaghlach' tattooed as well, which isn't strictly incorrect but there's something about 'celebrating your heritage by feeding words into an online dictionary and then tattooing them' that just seems a bit... meh.

I'm a mean bitch :( but her attitude in the modblog post annoyed the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

farohar wrote:
    There's a great phrase people use for people who do these things...

what was it again...

oh yeah!

Stupid American!:D

reminds me of an online mate of mine in america (texas/colorado) who intends getting 'stupid american' tattood on him in japanese :D

he's researched it, and come up with the correct symbols, and we've since had this really cool japanese chick join the boards, so she's confirmed it for him, and given him a colloquial alternative :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Gauge wrote:
    I'm a mean bitch :( but her attitude in the modblog post annoyed the hell out of me.

Not at all, she's a tard, plain and simple!

why is it always the Americans who get stupid irish tattoos:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

i feel sorta bad for posting the link and pic here....sorta

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Luckily for this American girl-the Irish will just laugh.

Luckily for her most of the Irish won't know it's wrong.

• Advertisement

thanks to the internet they will!

thanks to the internet they will!
    Nah, the portion of the Irish population who would go on-line seeking details on peoples' piercings and tattoos I'd imagine is quite small. Too many people still have a negative view of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I just posted it on a couple of non-tattoo/piercing boards so lots of Irish people now know of her stupidity :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

that cracks me up. just read through the entirety of the comments, and her attitude is horrendous >_< I barely speak Irish, scraped through the leaving and thats about it, and I immediately knew there was something wrong with that. If she's second gen Irish, as she claims, that means one of her grandparents was Irish. Hardly an amazing link to the land.

most Americans claim to be "Irish".It really annoys me when ou hear them going on about how their great great grandmother was form laois or something,even paris hilton is doing it now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

hahah! I thought it was just primary school kids who put "áil" at the end of English words! like skipáil and runnáil. So her tattoo says "Free Drugging" hahahahaha! Sap! :D:D:D:D

It should say something like "saor óna drugaí" or that abouts.

I bet she pronounces Teaghlach as "teeg latch".:rolleyes:

i was reading the comments and she said she researched it for about three years!she denied it was wrong for ages but then she said oh i know its wrong but it doesnt take away the meaning,she seemed like an arrogant bitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

she wouldnt listen to me, i speak irish fluently and yet nothing would get through to her.

i dont speak much irish but even i could tell that it was completely wrong!ah well shes the one that has to live with it:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Wilburt wrote:
    she wouldnt listen to me, i speak irish fluently and yet nothing would get through to her.
    I had a go as well, she tried to claim I knew nothing about grammar because there was a typo somewhere in my comment :p

Advertisement