Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Language Tattoos

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

yeah i saw:p she's an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

...Why would you want a japanese tattoo of you have no japanese heritage?...

Because Japanese, like every other language has concepts and ideas that just don't translate well into english. I'll grant you it can get a bit over the top though.

I saw a guy with "I am a stupid round eye" tattoed on him. On purpose. Appearantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Because Japanese, like every other language has concepts and ideas that just don't translate well into english. I'll grant you it can get a bit over the top though.

I saw a guy with "I am a stupid round eye" tattoed on him. On purpose. Appearantly.

Unfortunately, most people I've encountered with Japanese tattoos are using them for concepts and ideas that don't translate well into Japanese- ie: words that when translated have a different meaning, their own names, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Gauge wrote:
    Unfortunately, most people I've encountered with Japanese tattoos are using them for concepts and ideas that don't translate well into Japanese- ie: words that when translated have a different meaning, their own names, etc.
    Unfortunately people fail to remember that you can't always translate directly from one language to another.
    There are marketing gone awry stories based on companies failing to allow for such.
    Think one was "Pepsi brings you back to life" being mistranslated in one of the Asian countries to "Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the dead"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

there was another one for some car company that translated to doesnt go in german i thing it was,stupid stupid companies :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

there was another one for some car company that translated to doesnt go in german i thing it was,stupid stupid companies :D
    http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Daiyne

I just found this forum...filled with 5 pages of bashing my tattoos. So, I thought I'd respond. Although, I totally know where you're all coming from...you've got it a bit wrong.
    First, to Will. Had I known of your existence...and had you offered help BEFORE I got my tattoo, I would have been glad of the help. However, you did not tell me my tattoo was incorrect until after I had it. What good does that do me? ;o) And when it comes to my attitude on ModBlog, I do sincerely apologize. The tattoo was fresh, as were my nerves. I was overly defensive.
    As far as having no connection to Irish Gaelic, you are all incorrect. I am only second generation American. However, my aunt who assisted me in my translation CLEARLY does not know Irish Gaelic as well as she professed.
    Also, I do not feel like an ass. Everyone has a tattoo at some point in their life that has a mistake. At least mine is a totally HILARIOUS conversation piece.
    In regard to my family symbol...it is that. We have been using our little "Pot Knot", as we call it, for many generations...it's not meant to signify anything...other than our family. It's not about our heritage. It's only about our emotional tie to our family.
    As for changing my name...I am considering changing it to one of the MANY different names of my ancestors. I'm not pulling random Celto-Gaelic names out of some dictionary. It's out of my genealogy. I'm sure many of you would consider changing your name as well, if your last name was as ridiculously common and meaningless as Nelson.
    I have no animosity towards those who find my tattoo hilarious or stupid, because I agree. But that's the beauty of me: I take people as they are...faults and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭nayorleck114

msdurden wrote: »
    Hey All,

I want to get a tattoo in one of the following languages: sanskirt, gujarati, arabic, hindi or hebrew.

Everywhere on the web seems to charge for translating words!:eek:

Is any1 aware of a website that doesn't charge for this service? Even a dictionary would do

thanks ;)

And is Irish not good enough? COME ON BE BRAVE!

Advertisement