Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beagle advice?

Options
  • 17-02-2007 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

As you might know from my previous post on same I am thinking of getting one more dog. I was considering a jack russell but now think that this dog is too small and the dobermans would accidentally hurt it as the male dobie weighs a ton at this stage and the female is getting heavier by the day too. He even hurts my toe when he stands on it.

I now think a beagle might be better. I would like any advice from any owners of same. My only worry about them is the howling - not so much that it would bother me or the neighbours as I live out in the country but it could very well bother the dobies when they are trying to sleep etc. They hate being disturbed from their sleep.

I already read up on the internet about them so know the main points but you can't beat advice from actual owners. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I know next to nothing about beagles (except that they are very "nose driven") ...so no advice from me on this one.

But ...

I wouldn't worry too much about the size difference between a JRT and a Dobi.

Our OES mix is 65 cm / 38 kg and the Terrier mix is 30 odd cm and about 8 kg ...absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Actually the OES is the one I'm worried about ...as the Terrier runs rings around him :D

But I have to say, our terrier is one of the fittest and most muscular I've ever seen, as her sparring partners are twice or three times her size :D

Advertisement