Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gear change

Options
  • 17-02-2007 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

I presume this is the right place to post this thread. Just wondering, what's the optimum time to change up a gear, in reference to speed. Is it as high revs as possible maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In most petrol cars peak torque is somewhere just above mid-range and peak hp near the top of the rev band.

When accelerating hard, you want to rev it so high that the revs don't fall below peak torque in the next higher gear ...but not too high, because then you'll go past peak hp (and hit the rev limiter:D )

If it's economy you're after, you want to stay between about 1500-2000 revs and wherever peak torque is.

What speed you're doing at those revs depends very much on your engine/gearbox/wheel size combination and varies between cars ...so there is no general rule that says "change into 5th at 43.75 km/h"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Diesels can be a bit more tricky, as the punch usually kicks in at lower RPM then dies a death higher up the rev band. But at 70mph, to be in the sweet spot (about 2200rpm) in the diesel I drive, I would stick it in 5th, but then the gearbox divides up my engines torque even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I normally change up (diesel focus) around 1700rpm. I'm in 5th from about 50mph. 5th does about 33mph/1000rpm.

Advertisement