Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet DHCP.

Options
  • 17-02-2007 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I've recently moved to Magnet Broadband. I've two deviced on my network both of which are getting their IP addresses via DHCP, these are an xbox360 and a laptop.

Since I've moved to Magnet I've noticed that I cant get connectivity from the 360 to my media on my PC.

I think the address ranges or subnets in use are the problem and these cannot be statically assigned.

Right now the 360 has:

IP Address 87.198.24.99
    Subnet 255.255.254.0
    GW 87.198.24.1

As for the pc:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 87.198.27.21
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 87.198.26.1

And I've noticed the difference in the gateway addresses but I'm lost anyone know how to access the Magnet routers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Wow, those subnets are pretty crazy. I'm looking forward to seeing the 'correct' answer to this question from someone who knows the magnet setup well.

However, one dirty fix might be to change the laptop to static addressing, give it the same ip address again, but then use the 'advanced' tab in tcp/ip to give it a second address on the same subnet as the 360, for example, ip address 87.198.24.98, subnet 255.255.254.0, no gateway.

This may or may not work. Quite likely it will work for a while, then stop working when a different ip address is assigned.

Another way to do it would be to buy a four-port router and connect the wan port to the magnet box, and connecting the laptop and 360 to the LAN ports. But this involves buying more kit and I can see why you wouldn't want to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spss

Thanks for the reply, from what I can guess the Magnet routers are assigning internet facing IPs to all connected devices, I tried your advice to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

as i told people here before lol.
    The magnet modem is a 4-port Modem, not a 4-port Router.
    All devices connected to it are assigned public IP addresses completely exposed and unfirewalled.

If you wish to have a home network setup you will need to utilise a seperate router device connecting its WAN port to the magnet modem and your laptop and xbox to the LAN ports of the router.

Even if you utilse a switch to connect to the magnet modem, it will not help you, as the switch cannot transfer traffic directly between devices which are allocated addresses like the first post. since both ips are on different networks ( subnets ). A Router is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dubdec99

Would it not be possible to connect the games console to your pc/laptop via ethernet cable and, assuming your o/s is windows xp, you can share the pc's network connection with the games console thus allowing easy sharing of media on your pc with the console??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Use TVersity. It can share your stuff files over the Internet. It works with the 360. I'm not sure if it'll work over the Internet with the 360 as I use it over my network but its worth a shot as its a free program V buying a router.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

i have magnet adsl with the 4 port router/hub/modem thing.

i ahve internet facing ips along with internal file sharing.
    all worked fine out of the box.
    2 laptops, 1 desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dubdec99

Supposed to be getting hooked up to magnet tonight, multiple network/ethernet points throughout the apartment - so i shouldnt have any problems setting up my desktop, ps3, tv stations etc???

Advertisement