Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New NIN single

• 17-02-2007 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

the new nine inch nails single 'survivalism' is now playing on radio stations nationwide. you can listen to it on the nin myspace page, along with another track from year zero: 'my violent heart.'

year zero : april 17th 2007.

track listing:

01 hyperpower!
    02 the beginning of the end
    03 survivalism
    04 the good soldier
    05 vessel
    06 me, i'm not
    07 capital g
    08 my violent heart
    09 the warning
    10 god given
    11 meet your master
    12 the greater good
    13 the great destroyer
    14 another version of the truth
    15 in this twilight
    16 zero-sum

www.nin.com

this and the live dvd at the end of the month im looking forward to the dvd and all that could have been was amazing but I have my doubts about this new single

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Survivalism isin't very good at all.

"My Voilent Heart", on the other hand, is brilliant!

www.myspace.com/nin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've only heard "My Violent Heart" and me likes it. Better than most of that With Teeth album which disappointed me no end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i've probably said it before here, because i've said this a billion times now, but the new material (with teeth also) sounds very disconnected to NIN to me. it feels like a trent reznor solo project, with more freedom (a-la LCD soundsystem or soulwax). it sounds to me like he feels constrained, and it shows by the artists he's taking on tour (very "free" artists who sell enough to live, but not so much they have to stick to their sound on the next record, or even please any execs)...

that's fine tbh. in fact i encourage it. i liked with teeth, and i like the new stuff. but he's making it very difficult to look at the entire NIN catalogue and see a clear train of thought now...

having said that, i'll kill anyone to go see NIN live. one of the bands i must see before i die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Speaking of LCD Soundsystem, the remixes DFA did of the With Teeth singles were ****ing great.

I must say, I sound overly harsh of With Teeth but after spending years listening to NIN and hearing him develop ever upwards (The Fragile and Still are possibly the best albums by him, certainly the ones I still play the most) and then With Teeth was such a non-event for me. It just seemed empty. There were some good songs on it but as an album it didn't hang together right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Love all the NIN stuff. Still is fantastic though. Would love to hear more stuff done in the same 'loose' manner. I like both new tracks. I just think NIN is expanding and experimenting. I really like the fact that each album is different to the last. I think "My Violent Heart" has similar elements to 'Burn' from the Natural Born Killers soundtrack. Im off to see NIN in London in a few weeks. It WILL be fantastic. Only ever saw them once before and it was unbelievable. Apparently they are playing a lot of Downward Spiral Tracks, even ruiner, which I love!!!! . I get what you are saying ProjectMayhem but for me, when I look at the NIN catelogue, I can see cohesiveness and a train of thought. I am really looking forward to the new album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,216 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've been listening to Nine Inch Nails for years now yet upon hearing a couple of songs from With Teeth I just couldn't listen to it. I still haven't. The odd time a track might play on random but I don't actually notice it.

Perhaps one day I'll muster up the courage and give it a listen through.

I hadn't a clue that new songs had been released. They better be good. *shakes his fist at the screen*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

"My Violent Heart" is great, but Survivalism is a real crock of crap. (Both of them are on the NIN myspace page now, but there are 320K MP3s out there too)

The DVD should be good, I have it pre-ordered. It's in widescreen too (I was a bit disappointed when the AATCHB DVD was just 4:3)

Master of the Universe

I don't know if I'm being overly critical because of the last album, but I just listened to both those songs and they seem instantly forgettable. :(

The last minute and a half of My Violent Heart is interesting, but that's about it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Loved with teeth and most of the rest of the nin stuff but i thought theese two songs were rubbish personally. Its like theres no soul to the music, its sound reminds me of a person trying to copy nin and failing miserably.

Master of the Universe

Patricide wrote:
    Loved with teeth and most of the rest of the nin stuff but i thought theese two songs were rubbish personally. Its like theres no soul to the music, its sound reminds me of a person trying to copy nin and failing miserably.

That's strange as Survivalism reminded me of The Hand that Feeds. My Violent Heart actually sounds a bit Pretty Hate Machine ish. Mainly the vocals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Wow so I guess the 5/6 year gap between each album is gone eh? I hadn't even heard of this album till I read this thread. I thought With Teeth was, with the exception of a few excellent songs, a bit of a let-down and quite dull overall. So I certainly hope this one is different.

Master of the Universe

It would seem Trent needs the 5/6 year gap to actually make a decent album.

Ah no, I kid. Or do I? I'm so confused. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

"Me, I'm Not" is leaked now too...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

hmmm.... not blown away by either track (but do prefer My Violent Heart) - that said it does seem to be a step towards a more suitable progression on the Fragile in a musical sense as well as lyrical, as while With Teeth was good, it was far from great and had a lot of misses... was far too plain an album overall.

Given that Reznor has said this has an overarching concept, I'd be interesting in hearing it all together, after all, TDS is half the album if taken track-by-track.

On Still, superb album, one thing I've always wished for is for Reznor to do something very instrumental-based, like an entire album of tracks like Adrift and At Peace, Leaving Hope and The Persistence of Loss etc... Still is the closest thing to that atm.

Jesus - listening to those tracks again (and stuff like La Mer and A Warm Place) make me drool at the thought of what NIN & an orchestra could equal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

I don't think NIN have released a bad album. I loved with_teeth thought it was fantastic. The Fragile is probably my favorite and while I wasn't sold on Survivalism I still have confidence that the album with be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

Listening to it on myspace now. I don't like Survivalism, "Only" is only ok.. "My violent Heart" and "Every day is exactly the same" I like.
    April ? Couldn't they realise it sooner! booo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Listening to it on myspace now. I don't like Survivalism, "Only" is only ok.. "My violent Heart" and "Every day is exactly the same" I like.

"only" and "every day..." are from with teeth

"only" and "every day..." are from with teeth
    ok, i missed that on MySpace. tnx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

having said that, i'll kill anyone to go see NIN live. one of the bands i must see before i die.
    Saturday, March 10th in London. Can't wait!

daiixi wrote:
    Saturday, March 10th in London. Can't wait!

Can I go with you? :D

• Advertisement

another song from the new album has been posted: "me, i'm not."
    (on myspace!)

March 7th London. Fan****ingtastic................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Can I go with you? :D
    As in you have a ticket and want someone to go with or hiding under my coat? ;)

I just heard in this twilight. It's probably my favorite so far.
    Check out the Wiki site and read some of the marketing stuff for the album. Its quite clever.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Zero_%28album%29
    I'd love to ring that phone number.

daiixi wrote:
    As in you have a ticket and want someone to go with or hiding under my coat? ;)
    heehee! :D
    Have a great time! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Moojuice wrote:
    March 7th London. Fan****ingtastic................................

Birmingham 4th, London 7th, 8th and 10th. Tickets still available for the 11th may get them for that....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I don't fúcking believe it.

Nine Inch Nails are playing a gig in the Wolverhampton Civic Centre on the 12th.

I spent 9 months of my life in that God forsaken hell hole of a "city" and not one decent act turned up, and now this!

I'm feeling a lot of rage right now... A lot of rage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The last of the Birmingham dates was cancelled and is rescheduled for August which means they will probably be around for the Reading/Leeds festival. Could be involved in the Irish leg of the festival if that's going ahead this year.

I've waited so long for NIN to return to Ireland, realised it wasn't going to happen anytime soon so I got tickets for this current tour. If they have to cancel next Saturday's London date I will be very, very, very disappointed. :mad:

An Irish gig would be fantastic. What venue would suit? I reckon 2-3 nights at the Olympia. I would hate to see NIN in the point, its an f'ing dump.

• Advertisement

The marquee!!that would be fantastic! not gonna happen though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement