Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New graphics card

Options
  • 17-02-2007 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new graphics card, and I have about 250Euro to spend on it.

On komplett, I've spotted these ones

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=317265

and

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=321075

What do ye think?. Are there better ones out there for around 250Euro?

I can't go much higher on price as I want to get another gig of memory too.

At the moment I have a 9600Pro...it does the job, but I really want some better graphics for BF2, as it's all I'm playing at the moment!

Appreciate any feedback

D>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

The first one you picked is AGP and the second is PCI-Express. I presume your motherboard only has an AGP slot.
    This might interest you link.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

Ah..thanks for that...I'll tell you why that happened..

You see, I'm in two minds at the moment.

I currently have a 2.4GHz Pentium with 1 Gig Ram on a P4P800-X motherboard. And this is with the 9600Pro (AGP) graphics card...

I have a 3.xGhz chip available to me (socket 775) and I'm trying to decide whether to build a new system around this, or just upgrade my graphics card and add more memory to what I have.

I was looking at the 2 different types of graphics cards, hence the mistake above.

I know that if I go for the new build, it will cost a good bit. I'm just trying to justify blowing the bonus on a complete new pc, or whether I'll be happy with fancy new graphics and more memory...

decisions decisions....

D>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't spend that on a 6800gs - way overpriced. For 80 euro second hand you'd pick up a decent card on adverts.ie...

Although a 2.4Ghz isn't great for newer titles it should be fairly ok for BF2, but there's only so far a good card can take you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Best new buy would be a 7600GT which you can get from Dabs.ie for €163 like Havok says don't bother with a 6800GS.

If you were so inclined the best AGP card you can currently get is the X1950 Pro which at €200 & add-on delivery is within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

thanks for the replies guys...

I've read some reviews on the x1950, and it looks like that could be the one.

Thing is, that 3.x chip is staring me in the face, saying "BUILD NEW PC, BUILD NEW PC!"......

Anyways...thanks again for the replies....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

build it and they will come (better graphics that is ;))
    go on you know you want to upgrade and get this card
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=327135

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't use an X1950pro with a 2.4Ghz P4 to be honest. The cpu will limit you in anything recent before you can even remotely utilise the full power of the card. I think something like a 6600GT/7600GS would be pretty good, and alot better then a 9600pro, and would be a good match for the rest of your system while still cheap.

Although building a new system not a bad or even an expensive idea if you have that idle cpu, you can use the 775 cpu for awhile and then get a core2duo one to replace it when you can afford it. There are also plenty of 775 mobos that support ddr and ddr2 ram as well as have onboard video so you could still probably even use your current ram and the onboard video again, until you can afford something better...

Advertisement