Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your weakness?

Options
  • 17-02-2007 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

Of the main three subjects that (nearly) everyone has to do....

Which do you find the most difficult to succeed in?

I hate you... 28 votes

English
    0% 0 votes
    Irish
    32% 9 votes
    Maths
    67% 19 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Maths. By a mile. It's the worst subject for making you think you're going somewhere before biting you on the ass and making you feel ****.

I find English reasonably easy and enjoyable, and I live in a Gaeltacht, so Irish isn't too bad. But Maths? Aristotle, Pythagoras and those boys don't know what they started. Bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Maths, even though it's ordinary level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Irish, I don't think I am even at foundation level standards:o
    Seriously I am abysmal at Irish even though I have supposedly been learning it since primary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Whats my weakness? I LOVE too much! :eek:
    But in relation to the topic, I enjoy all three subjects. Wouldn't really classify any of them as a weakness of mine, though the fact that I'm doing pass maths instead of honours is a godsend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

I gotta agree with the majority opinion, I detest maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

My weakness...... Im too full of the milk of human kindness :D

Seriously, hons maths is mental, the amount of stuff in it, the fact that when i try to justify studying it...... when are you ever gonna use some of it again? Complex no.s, matrices FFS :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

But Maths? Aristotle, Pythagoras and those boys don't know what they started. Bastards.

Aristotle? lol.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristotle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Maths. Failed my way through honours maths for the Junior Cert (scraped a D in the actual JC though), and was sorted straight into pass maths. I STILL hate it, though it's no longer a struggle to even pass.

I think the English course is too big, but other than that, don't have a problem with it, apart from the hand-falling-off of Paper 2...they should just leave unseen poetry out.

I love Irish, but the curriculm isn't great. I like An Triail, stair na teanga and the pass poems, but the rest's a bit crap...ugh, Lig Sinn i gCathú...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Time for a rebellious post...

I LOVE MATHS!!!

English is the hardest out of those three subjects for me. Just takes so much time and effort....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Me? Weakness? LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Pythia wrote:
    Ah, he's a physics gob****e. Well, feck it, he was a student of Plato's too. He's double the gob****e now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

I think the English course is too big, but other than that, don't have a problem with it, apart from the hand-falling-off of Paper 2...they should just leave unseen poetry out.

Agreed lol, Paper II is ridiculously timed compared to the first...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

im crap at english! or at least my teacher says i am! no matter what i do nothin is ever correct or pleases her!

irish is ok cos im good at speakin it but i dont get any of that tuiseal ginideach grammar lark... im just too lazy to care! and im doin pass maths now so its like a permanent holiday! couldnt handle honours maths for the life of me! failed my way thru 4th and 5th year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Irish, by far. Am scraping by in honours by memorising bursts of passages which only stay in my short term memory. My grammar is uafasach!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Maths is tough alright. I think people kinda have a mental block with it tho. I certainly make it harder for myself than it really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

Maths. By a mile. It's the worst subject for making you think you're going somewhere before biting you on the ass and making you feel ****.

Aristotle, Pythagoras and those boys don't know what they started. Bastards.

wasn't aristotle a philosopher?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I love English and Irish (it helps my dad's an irish teacher!) I dropped to pass maths last year, it was one of the best decisions of my life!

I couldn't pass Higher maths at all. In pass however I'm getting As the whole time. The h maths course is a cod it's so hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

English. Low C in honours, compared to B2-A1 in the others.

Spank wrote:
    Irish, by far. Am scraping by in honours by memorising bursts of passages which only stay in my short term memory. My grammar is uafasach!

Learn the rules...will help you so much. I keep forgetting them..basically, an+h, ni+urú..I think. Ar, de, dó, faoi, roimh, trí and um also take h's..fairly sure..

Learn the rules...will help you so much. I keep forgetting them..basically, an+h, ni+urú..I think. Ar, de, dó, faoi, roimh, trí and um also take h's..fairly sure..
    Well, nouns before all the prepositions do take "h"s if they're not proceeded by an "an" or "na". If they're proceeded by "an" then the noun takes an urú.

As for "an+h" and "ni+uru", that's quite wrong(in most cases)....

Time for an Irish lesson by JC:

An t-Alt Cinnte/The Definite Article

"An" means "The" when the noun is singular.
    for example: "an duine" = "the person"

"Na" means "The" when the noun is plural.
    for example: "na daoine" = "the people"

Now, as for "h"s and urús, "t"s and all that...

"An" takes a h if the noun is feminine
    for example: an fear = the man (fear is masculine)
    but: an bhean = the woman (woman is feminine)

"Na" never takes a in words that start with consonants.
    for example: na fir = the men
    and: na mná = the women

If the noun begins with a vowel and is masculine then it takes a "t-" in front of it.
    for example: an t-asal = the donkey (asal is masculine)
    but: an aiste = the essay (aiste is feminine)

"Na" takes a h before the noun regardless of the gender of that noun
    for example: na hasail = the donkeys
    and: na haistí = the essays

If the noun begins with an "s" and is feminine it takes a "t" before it.
    for example: an tsaotharlann = the laboratory (saotharlann is feminine)
    but: an Samhradh = the Summer(Samhradh is masculine)

That's it basically for definate articles, perhaps I'll do one of these on the tuiseal gineadach in the future and all the changes you make to nouns due to that, or maybe verbs.... who knows....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I like all of those subjects... But I'd say Irish will be the dodgiest when it comes down to it. Maths is grand, English, though it was my worst exam at christmas, should be fine (I am fluent in the language, how hard can it be...), but Irish I just have a tendency to construct complex sentences in English, then try to translate directly into Irish at the cost of any sense of Irish grammar.

Also, handy thing I've noticed about Irish grammar and the h-taking etcetera.. for réamhfhocail (I think that's them.. the orm ort air stuff), tend to take an urú if they have an "an" after them. ie, ar an + urú, whereas they're more likely to take a h if they have no "an", ie do + h, that sort of thing.

Also, handy thing I've noticed about Irish grammar and the h-taking etcetera.. for réamhfhocail (I think that's them.. the orm ort air stuff), tend to take an urú if they have an "an" after them. ie, ar an + urú, whereas they're more likely to take a h if they have no "an", ie do + h, that sort of thing.
    Not just "tend to", they do!

ar + h
    faoi + h
    roimh + h

ar an + urú
    faoi an(faoin) + urú
    roimh an + urú

be careful with "ag" though. I think it's "ag an" + urú, but you don't put a h after just ag.

Should I make an Irish grammar thread in case anyone has any questions? My Irish is fairly proficient...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

TBH I didnt even know that Irish words were defined in terms of gender lol.
    The benefits of being born and raised in a gaeltacht :D

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

Maths is by FAR my favourite. its so easy. and i absolutely DETEST english. i like irish as a language but not as a subject. its too much like english

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Not just "tend to", they do!
    Well, they don't all follow that rule... according to a page I have...

For without "an":

ag, as, chuig and le = take nothing

ar, de, do, faoi, ó, trí, thar, roimh = take h

i = take urú

For with "an" (or in the cases wherein the word contains an):

den, don, sa/san = take h

ag an, ar an, as an, chuig an, faoin, leis an, ón, tríd an, thar an, roimh an = take urú.

And then there are further exceptions with some things not taking a h due to the letter they start with and whatnot.

Yeah.. my bad, wasn't thinking...

I don't think they mark too hard on this sort of thing though, especially as rules vary depending on the area you're in.

For example, in Munster(or is it Connacht....?) it's sa+urú.

I think the best rule is to see what the word sounds like..you can often judge if it needs a séimhiú or an urú just by doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

My Irish grammar is a joke. I just write things down without thinking and throw in random letters all over the place. Boo me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Any grammar questions can be posted here. I will endeavour to iron them all out, hope that helps somewhat!

• Advertisement

Translate, "I would have gone to the shop" to Irish.

Advertisement