Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Failed my mock driving test 14 times. Will I pass?

Options
  • 17-02-2007 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

What do you guys think? Just had my mock test there, and my test is Thursday. lol.

Will I pass the real thing? 9 votes

hell yes!
    0% 0 votes
    hell no!
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Its possible. I failed my mock test the day before the actual test (Had 14 strikes against me). Passed the following day with flying colours, despite just 1 hour driving in between the mock & real exam. (Note:I had been driving for 1 yr on my 2nd provisional). I have talked to a number of folks who have had a similar experience. I reckon, they treat the mock driving test like the mock leaving cert, i.e. they mark you harder to knock any cockiness out of you.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

No. Walking is good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

md99 wrote:
    What do you guys think? Just had my mock test there, and my test is Thursday. lol.

Get the bus to the test centre and tell them you quit [driving]. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

15th time lucky...........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Ah yeah youll pass be positive :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

No offence but you must be a truly terrible driver to fail 14 times. Once unfortunate, twice careless.....14 times....?????

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Get lessons from someone else and tbh cop yourself on, what the fupp is so funny about being incompetant in charge of a a car?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

What is this mock driving test???????????????????

Driving lessons: Beginner lessons are where you are taught how to drive.
    Pre test lessons: This is where you are taught how to drive to a standard where you will pass a driving test.

SO what is a mock driving test and where in Ireland is this done?
    Is this done by driving instructors?
    If done by driving instructors, do they sit there and at the end of the lesson do they just tell you are bad you are?

We are very interested to hear about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Depends if you're male or female tbh ;) I kid I kid.

Seriously though, 14 times, try another instructor, probably being too hard on you or else just go for the main thing and see how you get on.

Wear a low cut top though, just in case, regardless of your gender!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Seriously though, 14 times, try another instructor, probably being too hard on you or else just go for the main thing and see how you get on.

That's more like it, at least you can understand. I've been driving for a year and haven't got in any accidents or trouble ,so there's nothing major wrong with my driving. As you know the driving test is not just an examination of your simple ability to drive safely....

The instructor I have is VERY old fashioned, a good instructor but we aren't of the same mindframe at all! so it's tough to learn..

• Advertisement

What is this mock driving test???????????????????

It's pretty self-explanatory. Driving instructor takes you on a 'mock' driving test, with a sheet and marks down each thing you've done incorrectly then gives you the sheet and your result What's not to understand?

No offence but you must be a truly terrible driver to fail 14 times. Once unfortunate, twice careless.....14 times....?????

By fail 14 times, i mean I got 9 Grade 3 marks and the rest were Grade 2 marks.

A truly terrible driver couldn't have driven for every day for a year without any accident and driven nearly 15,000 miles at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Whether you can pass or not very much depends on what your faults were. If you're falling down multiple times on a couple of things then you can fix that. If you've got a load of different technical faults I'd say the chances of compensating for all of them is quite low.

What are you failing for?
    md99 wrote:
    I've been driving for a year and haven't got in any accidents or trouble ,so there's nothing major wrong with my driving.
    The two don't necessarily go hand in hand. I know someone who has been trying to pass a test for about 20 years and may never do so. They've done plenty of miles and had very few accidents but they're still pretty shaky behind the wheel.

Whether you can pass or not very much depends on what your faults were. If you're falling down multiple times on a couple of things then you can fix that. If you've got a load of different technical faults I'd say the chances of compensating for all of them is quite low.

What are you failing for?

The two don't necessarily go hand in hand. I know someone who has been trying to pass a test for about 20 years and may never do so. They've done plenty of miles and had very few accidents but they're still pretty shaky behind the wheel.

I meant as regards driving outside of the driving test. The reasons I failed for are typical reasons that someone who's been getting lessons for only two weeks is failing for...

I got my notice at the start of my Leaving Cert pre's, so I've had little time to practice.

Anyway, I got Grade 3's on Parking Legally (parked in a handicapt spot waiting for the driving instructor, who duly noted it lol),

Position - Turning Right
    Signals - Misleading (indicated right twice when I didn't need to do so)
    Progress - At Traffic Lights (didn't slow at amber, thought I was too close at time)
    Speed - Turning Left (turned far too fast at the time)
    Right of Way - At Roundabouts (continued without stopping when a car was on roundabout, although a good distance away)
    Reverse - Competently (hit curb, have resolved this error)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

You are a danger to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Longfield wrote:
    Get lessons from someone else and tbh cop yourself on, what the fupp is so funny about being incompetant in charge of a a car?

What he said
    You are a danger to others.

and what he said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

Hi

Ok. You are driving a year, so you’re not a beginner.
    Do you think you need 14 pre test lessons (this is where you are taught how to drive to a standard of driving where you would be competent to pass a test) or do you think you need to be told 14 times that you would have failed your driving test.

It seams to me that this mock test is a way of getting you to do more and more lessons without you learning anything.

If you think this may be what is happing! I would ask you to e-mail me at info@drivinginfo.ie and I will advise you in what you should be taught on a pre-test lesson, at least you will then know if the instructor is working with you.

Hi

Ok. You are driving a year, so you’re not a beginner.
    Do you think you need 14 pre test lessons (this is where you are taught how to drive to a standard of driving where you would be competent to pass a test) or do you think you need to be told 14 times that you would have failed your driving test.

It seams to me that this mock test is a way of getting you to do more and more lessons without you learning anything.

If you think this may be what is happing! I would ask you to e-mail me at info@drivinginfo.ie and I will advise you in what you should be taught on a pre-test lesson, at least you will then know if the instructor is working with you.

firstly, if I'm a danger, you all would find dungarvan a very dangerous place..

Cheers, I'll email you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

i'm doing my test next sat and i'm cacking it, i've heard from a few people who have got into my car and they have commented on a rosery beads that i got from my gran when i made my communion, thats hanging from my rear-view mirror and i also have a padre -pieo* tax holder and this will give the tester the impression that your no boy racer, and the fact that i drive a respectable car (ie one that hasnt got 20'' rims and lexus lights on a 89 honda civic)

just remember good look be calm, and drive around for a hour a night around the test route practising turnabouts and reversing around corners, its what i'm doing anyway!

P.S i'm no bible basher or even a practising catholic just have them there for good luck

*Spelling?

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Pass your test and then do 15000 miles a year. Until that time, obey the rules of the road and get more lessons. Just because you havent had an accident or been in "trouble" doesnt mean you're a good driver :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Sounds to me like you're being milked. Go to someone else, for God's sake, or get a relative to take you out anf be honest with you.

Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

overdriver wrote:
    Sounds to me like you're being milked.
    The OP only did one mock test and failed with 14 faults. Unfortunately they have managed to convince everyone that they have failed 14 different mock tests.
    md99 wrote:
    Position - Turning Right
    Signals - Misleading (indicated right twice when I didn't need to do so)
    Progress - At Traffic Lights (didn't slow at amber, thought I was too close at time)
    Speed - Turning Left (turned far too fast at the time)
    Right of Way - At Roundabouts (continued without stopping when a car was on roundabout, although a good distance away)
    Reverse - Competently (hit curb, have resolved this error)
    That's a lot of different problems in different situations. Unless you had a bad afternoon when you did the mock test it's unlikely that these can all magically go well on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Dont abuse taxi/bus drivers, they are now your best friends. please stay off the road

The OP only did one mock test and failed with 14 faults. Unfortunately they have managed to convince everyone that they have failed 14 different mock tests.

Yes, that's what he said: "Failed my mock driving test 14 times."

Volvoboy wrote:
    i'm doing my test next sat and i'm cacking it, i've heard from a few people who have got into my car and they have commented on a rosery beads that i got from my gran when i made my communion, thats hanging from my rear-view mirror and i also have a padre -pieo* tax holder and this will give the tester the impression that your no boy racer, and the fact that i drive a respectable car (ie one that hasnt got 20'' rims and lexus lights on a 89 honda civic)

just remember good look be calm, and drive around for a hour a night around the test route practising turnabouts and reversing around corners, its what i'm doing anyway!

P.S i'm no bible basher or even a practising catholic just have them there for good luck

*Spelling?

-VB-

Religious symbolism! Nice one!

Should go well with my Lexus lights ;)

All this 'get off the road, you're a danger' BS is quite frankly hilarious, inspiration to pass the test to throw it back at ye if anything. Get over your safe-driving selves, nobody cares that you drive 40 in a 50 zone even when it's not busy. Your licence is the same as mine (should I pass), you'll be ticketed the same as I would, charged the same service by mechanics, stopped by the same red lights, caught by the same speed cameras. If a drunk drugged up boy racer slams into you at 90mph you'll die the same as I would,

it's a well-known fact that many good drivers fail the test while many bad drivers pass, any driving instructor will tell you that...

Thanks to those who gave genuine advice!

Slow coach wrote:
    Yes, that's what he said: "Failed my mock driving test 14 times."

Do you think someone would take a mock driving test 14 times, without any improvement or even taking the real thing...

What would the point in that be? It would cost less to buy a full licence illegally...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

md99 wrote:
    it's a well-known fact that many good drivers fail the test while many bad drivers pass, any driving instructor will tell you that..
    While a bad driver can pass the test, a good driver won't fail it. Face it, the test is a pretty basic affair. Anyone incapable of passing it is a bad driver, period.

Anan1 wrote:
    While a bad driver can pass the test, a good driver won't fail it. Face it, the test is a pretty basic affair. Anyone incapable of passing it is a bad driver, period.

That's the biggest load of bull I've ever heard.

I know many who have passed, and they say it's just an act. It's not a real test on your abilty to DRIVE...

NOBODY drives like that in real life. Well, nobody under the age of 80.

Out of interest, who shares Anan's perspective?

md99 wrote:
    Do you think someone would take a mock driving test 14 times, without any improvement or even taking the real thing...

What would the point in that be? It would cost less to buy a full licence illegally...

You said you failed it 14 times. Let's hope your command of your car is better than your command of the English language...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

md99 wrote:
    I know many who have passed, and they say it's just an act. It's not a real test on your abilty to DRIVE...

NOBODY drives like that in real life. Well, nobody under the age of 80.

Out of interest, who shares Anan's perspective?
    md99 wrote:
    What's the correct thing to do... Say you're approaching a roundabout in 3, and must give right of way. For my mock test I went down 3-2-1 each time, the transition to 1st always causing shaking and jumping of the car...
    md99 wrote:
    The reasons I failed for are typical reasons that someone who's been getting lessons for only two weeks is failing for...
    md99 wrote:
    By fail 14 times, i mean I got 9 Grade 3 marks and the rest were Grade 2 marks.

md99 wrote:
    Anyway, I got Grade 3's on Parking Legally (parked in a handicapt spot waiting for the driving instructor, who duly noted it lol)

Sounds to me like you just can't drive. I mean, this is really basic stuff. Get some lessons and reapply. In the meantime, take it easy out there.

Advertisement