Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Test - Moving Down Gears

Options
  • 17-02-2007 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭

What's the correct thing to do... Say you're approaching a roundabout in 3, and must give right of way. For my mock test I went down 3-2-1 each time, the transition to 1st always causing shaking and jumping of the car...

Should I just go from 3 to 2, then hit the clutch to give right of way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

What I did was switch down to 2 and clutch in when stopping, then switch to first once the car was stopped. The car will generally go fine in second at slow speeds. Always stop in the test, or so I was told, even if you can roll in and go in second.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

This is best practice. No need to stop entering a roundabout if it's clear, though. I would suggest never changing into first while the car is rolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

My instructor always said to go down to 2, for example at a red traffic light, then clutch in and stop, handbrake and neutral =D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yep; first only for starting or driving in slippy conditions.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Longfield wrote:

Very bad advice there always use high gears in slippery conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Longfield wrote:
    Tut, tut Longfield. In slippery conditions, one should always use the highest gear possible.

endplate wrote:
    Very bad advice there always use high gears in slippery conditions

Hey endplate i've heard that before and wondered just what situation that applies too?

Recently drove through Sally Gap down to Enniskerry in the snow mostly in first gear and would have probably stalled the car in any other gear (I don't drive a 4x4 but was the only non 4x4 up there!!).

As you aren't the first person to say that I've no doubt that its right in certain conditions, just which ones though?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you don't have to go into first before you stop but you need to be careful not to coast and skip gears when slowing down. eg if in 4th you have to get into 3rd and 2nd before you stop (ideally). Make sure to get off the clutch and get your left hand back on the wheel between each gear change too..

Tut, tut Longfield. In slippery conditions, one should always use the highest gear possible.

Try driving/tobogganing in Sally Gap in fifth!!

Know you are right in general, just don't know which specifics its right to up the gears?

Longfield wrote:
    Hey endplate i've heard that before and wondered just what situation that applies too?

Recently drove through Sally Gap down to Enniskerry in the snow mostly in first gear and would have probably stalled the car in any other gear (I don't drive a 4x4 but was the only non 4x4 up there!!).

As you aren't the first person to say that I've no doubt that its right in certain conditions, just which ones though?

you should be in the highest gear possible, if you could only crawl in 1st it was the highest gear possible, but you would likely have been alright in 2nd? which would give less chance of wheelspin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

daveym wrote:
    eg if in 4th you have to get into 3rd and 2nd before you stop (ideally)
    AFAIK it is now acceptable to stop in 3rd (but it's many years since I did the category B test when 2nd was the norm). Dropping to 2nd before stopping was probably apt when most cars were 4 speed but the gear ratios would be different in modern 5 and 6 speeds.

AFAIK it is now acceptable to stop in 3rd (but it's many years since I did the category B test when 2nd was the norm). Dropping to 2nd before stopping was probably apt when most cars were 4 speed but the gear ratios would be different in modern 5 and 6 speeds.

maybe so, but if you are slowing for lights etc you should have loads of time to get into 2nd, I did say ideally! To stop in 3rd you have to coast which is what they really frown upon. All of the test would likely be in 4th anyway in the city so getting from there to 2nd should be handy enough when slowing down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

my IAM assesor advised that changing from 4th to 2nd was perfectly acceptable in some circumstances.

for stopping, you should always try to be in second gear. any higher and you're not in full control of the vehicle, any lower and you're not driving properly. as has been said, first is only for starting or manouvering in tight areas (NOT in snow)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

md99 wrote:
    What's the correct thing to do... Say you're approaching a roundabout in 3, and must give right of way.?

If you are certain you are going to have to stop, then stay in 3rd, brake then clutch - Stop.

If you may be able to merge without stopping then select appropriate gear for your speed.

Re. changing down before stopping, my driving school car has 6 gears. Approaching a stop sign in 6th, I have my pupils brake - clutch - stop.

They can then spend their time much more productively checking mirrors, looking well ahead into and to the left and right of the junction, instead of messing with the gears.

Test examiners are quite happy with above.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I recall my driving instructor telling me that you should never drive in first. It is for starting the car off only. You should change to 2nd gear as soon as possible.

J_R wrote:
    If you are certain you are going to have to stop, then stay in 3rd, brake then clutch - Stop.

If you may be able to merge without stopping then select appropriate gear for your speed.

Re. changing down before stopping, my driving school car has 6 gears. Approaching a stop sign in 6th, I have my pupils brake - clutch - stop.

They can then spend their time much more productively checking mirrors, looking well ahead into and to the left and right of the junction, instead of messing with the gears.

Test examiners are quite happy with above.

:eek: what speed are they approaching the stop sign in to be in 6th? 80 or 90? You must have them coasting for a 100 yards!

Surely they can check mirrors etc while changing down, they aren't in control of the car coasting to a stop and if the can't 'mess' with the gears (if you mean changing gears is 'messing' with them) without looking at them they need a lot more lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

They come off a dual carriageway at 100 KPH, there is a STOP sign at end of slip road, all that is necessary is brake and depress the clutch just before the car would start to shudder.

It is impossible to come to a stop without coasting. Unless you run out of petrol, or in my case diesel. Or unless you drive into an immovable object.

When you change gears, irrespective how accompished a driver you are you must remove one hand off the wheel. One handed steering, not 100% in control. And it is unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Re: driving in ice. Use the highest gear possible when moving off. However do not use the highest gear possible when approaching a T junction or roundabout or coming down an icy hill. The problem with the "highest gear" advice is that people pick up on it and then apply it to all situations. Most crashes in icy conditions happen becasue someone came down a hil too fast or entered a bend too fast or couldn't stop at a T junction. In these situations, being in the highest gear possible increases the chance of losing control and having a crash

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

I was told by all my driving instructors that stopping in 3rd gear was 100% acceptable.I carried that advise through to the test and I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

daveym wrote:
    :eek: You must have them coasting for a 100 yards!

You only "coast" with the clutch depressed.....

• Advertisement

oleras wrote:
    You only "coast" with the clutch depressed.....

i know ,thats the definition of it, what did u think i meant?

J_R wrote:
    Hi,

They come off a dual carriageway at 100 KPH, there is a STOP sign at end of slip road, all that is necessary is brake and depress the clutch just before the car would start to shudder.

It is impossible to come to a stop without coasting. Unless you run out of petrol, or in my case diesel. Or unless you drive into an immovable object.

When you change gears, irrespective how accompished a driver you are you must remove one hand off the wheel. One handed steering, not 100% in control. And it is unnecessary.

yes but if your are in 6th you have to be on the clutch long before you are stopped, so you are coasting for a long time. You said the people you teach can't change gears and look around at the same time, nothing about one handed steering

daveym wrote:
    yes but if your are in 6th you have to be on the clutch long before you are stopped,

Do you even drive ? :confused:

oleras wrote:
    Do you even drive ? :confused:

why, do you disagree?
    You think you can come to an orderly stop in 6th gear?

daveym wrote:
    why, do you disagree?
    You think you can come to an orderly stop in 6th gear?

Yes, use the brake.

oleras wrote:
    Yes, use the brake.

so obviously you don't drive. you would have to be on the clutch from
    around 35 if in 6th on average, more depending on the car, you are coasting all the way from there to a stop.
    you aren't in control of the car.

daveym wrote:
    so obviously you don't drive. you would have to be on the clutch from
    around 35 if in 6th

Dude..........give it up, seriously.....your embarrasing yourself......

oleras wrote:
    Dude..........give it up, seriously.....your embarrasing yourself......

oh, good argument. you have looked it up and realised you are talking rubbish I
    see..

daveym wrote:
    oh, good argument. you have looked it up and realised you are talking rubbish I
    see..

>>>>>>> backs away from the scary man...............:eek:

Oh, daveym.......looks like your little brother got into your account and is making you look real silly............ :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

oleras wrote:
    >>>>>>> backs away from the scary man...............:eek:

Oh, daveym.......looks like your little brother got into your account and is making you look real silly............ :D

You're worse for keeping it up.

Best solution is always to ignore.

Advertisement