Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap PC

Options
  • 17-02-2007 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get myself a pc for my bedroom. I want it to be small as my bedroom is already practically full. I won't be gaming on it. Mainly just for music/surfing the internet/downloading.

I have a very small budget, say €400. I need a monitor as well. I was hoping maybe to get a new pc but wouldn't be completely dismissive of a 2nd hand one if it was reliable to buy etc. I was looking through komplett.ie to see if they'd build it for me. No luck.

The main pc in my house is very good so I can use that for gaming but want to be able to use Photoshop, Dreamweaver etc on my own.

Thanks,

Timans

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Dell Outlet perhaps or maybe have a gawk at adverts.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Try a barebones shutle type PC from komplett.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I was looking at that Saruman but it's got NO gfx card whatsoever and it's over €500.

And, Ruu, I can't seem to see any pre400 pc's on outlet store either.

Thanks though guys.

would a laptop no suit better? You can get them for about €400 to €500 these days.

well, if you could find me a decent enough lappy for that price, that would be great! i thought i'd need to get a desktop as lappy's were too expensive.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's actually very good!

Although, It's a shame you can't choose XP because Vista would run terribly on it with only 512mb RAM and 60gig hdd.

True but get more ram from somewhere else.
    Dell want the price of the laptop for 2gb... jaysus.
    Anyway 512mb will be fine.. its home basic not premium so no aero interface. Not so much mem needed.

Yeah, I think I will.

Either that or the Desktop equivelent which is only 20 euro cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

PC World have an iStart 1269 for 399 euro.

15" Monitor
    256mb Ram
    80gb Hard Drive
    3.2Ghz Celeron D
    Card Reader/DVD-RW
    Vacant 16x pci-e slot
    Xp Home

good deal, needs more ram but that'll cost at most 50 euro for another 512mb stick. I bought one and got a 6600 and 512mb ram for an extra 100 - so for 500 in total I had a new machine that can play recentish games reasonably well like bf2, company of heroes etc.

• Advertisement

Thats a pretty good deal for a PC that can be upgraded along the way as more money is available :D

That looks good.

Although, Celeron. Ugh.

And, I've never upgraded a pc before. I'd be a little worried I'd break it.

Modern Celeron is not too bad. You want cheap, get a Celeron.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

photoshop...even on 512 its gonna drag SOOOO slow. if your only using it for dreamweaver/photoshop and web tyou dont need gfx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Timans wrote:
    I'm looking to get myself a pc for my bedroom. I want it to be small as my bedroom is already practically full. I won't be gaming on it. Mainly just for music/surfing the internet/downloading.

I have a very small budget, say €400. I need a monitor as well. I was hoping maybe to get a new pc but wouldn't be completely dismissive of a 2nd hand one if it was reliable to buy etc. I was looking through komplett.ie to see if they'd build it for me. No luck.

The main pc in my house is very good so I can use that for gaming but want to be able to use Photoshop, Dreamweaver etc on my own.

Thanks,

Timans

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ci.asp?sku=10256 TBH

Small form factor PC from komplett.

Seems to be what you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Timans wrote:
    That looks good.

Although, Celeron. Ugh.

And, I've never upgraded a pc before. I'd be a little worried I'd break it.

As Saruman said it's not too bad. A 3.2Ghz Celeron D performs about the same as a Pentium 4 @ 2.6Ghz or an AMD 2600+. In other words, not so bad. Also, the newer ones have 512kb l2 cache as well.

The board in the istart 1269 will also take 6x Pentium 4 HT cpus and also Pentium D cpus, and it uses a standard atx psu.

I am thinking about a custom build. I don't feel as though I'd be able to build it though. Maybe get komplett.ie to build it if I pick the parts?

Would I be able to build a decent-ish pc for €400? Not including any monitor, mouse etc etc?

Yeah, that sort of stuff mainly.

I do play Football Manager a lot though but that doesn't require too much.

I would like to have the future option of upgrading though so, when I move out I'll be able to run WoW on my own pc. As my family pc is very good.

Any ideas on parts etc Elites? i'd get them on komplett.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

Timans wrote:

Thanks,

Timans
    http://www.marxcomputers.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Timans wrote:
    I am thinking about a custom build. I don't feel as though I'd be able to build it though. Maybe get komplett.ie to build it if I pick the parts?

Would I be able to build a decent-ish pc for €400? Not including any monitor, mouse etc etc?

They are easier to build then you would imagine. Think lego for big boys. A few days research to help you differentiate between a hard drive and a motherboard will be about the only research you need.

• Advertisement

I'd really like to build my own but I'm very worried I wouldn't be able to.

It's not just the building that I need help with, it's also the picking of the parts. I have no real idea about the majority of the parts especially gfx and mobo.

I want future upgrad-ability(new word :p) for the mobo so that's necessary. I don't need to powerful a pc though. 1gb ram, 1.8ghz and up cpu, not high end gfx etc.

Advertisement