Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Help

Options
  • 17-02-2007 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Sorry for posting here but the Web Hosting board is closed. I had a domain name that expired (many thanks to my domain registrar and his lack of notification) and the Network Solution ****s wanted to charge me $70 to re-register it. So I let it go thinking once it was out of redemption then I could just pick it back up again for $10 but then these Snap Names bastards stole it and want me to bid on it. Has anyone had any experience with these guys? Ive googled them and Im seeing alot of bad experiences like inconsequential domain names being snapped up for no reason other than to extort money.

The domain is for a band and its not worth much not to mention got **** all traffic when it was up but Im wondering is there any point in even bidding with snapnames if my bid is gonna be sniped?

This has really ****ing irritated me, when will the world decide enough is enough and tell the US money grabbing ****s to swivel on it and bring in net nutrality! I wanna declare a jihad on these ****s!

PDD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Buy a different/similar domain name with a better host. Is the .net available?

You're just going to have to put this down to a lesson learnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Or grab a .ie where these b*****d squatters won't have any claim on it if this happens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

PDD wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for posting here but the Web Hosting board is closed. I had a domain name that expired (many thanks to my domain registrar and his lack of notification) and the Network Solution ****s wanted to charge me $70 to re-register it. So I let it go thinking once it was out of redemption then I could just pick it back up again for $10 but then these Snap Names bastards stole it and want me to bid on it. Has anyone had any experience with these guys? Ive googled them and Im seeing alot of bad experiences like inconsequential domain names being snapped up for no reason other than to extort money.
    The domain business has changed dramatically in the last few years. Snapnames is where most of the Network Solutions domains go after they are dropped. Sometimes they enter auction but in a lot of other cases (low traffic/value domains) they become available for about $9 after a while on snapnames or even drop again after five days or so. If you want it, sign up with Snapnames and see what happens. If it enters auction, set an upper limit to what you are prepared to pay and stick to it. If the price goes above that limit, walk.

Catching newly expired domains is big business. Normally the scumbags involved have their own registrars set up for this purpose. Basically they catch the domains, point them to some PPC advertising page and if it makes money they will hold it. Otherwise they will revoke the registration within the five day grace period and the domain will be on the market again. The scum in ICANN are doing nothing about this either.

As Liam said - go for a .ie domain.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Cheers for the feedback guys, hopefully they will drop the domain as there is nearly no traffic that Im aware of although I did do a search on the snapnames.com website. Once the domain has been dropped is it then passed on down the line, some of the stuff Ive read indicates that this is the case.

I wouldnt mind getting a .ie domain name except for the fact that they are more expensive and I dont think a band qualifies for one as theres no business entity behind it. Its swings and roundabouts really but for me it makes .ie's worth that extra bit.

I doubt ICANN will get the finger out ever, they are prob gettin nice big back handers for this. Roll on the day when the internet is forced from the grip of the US, you'd think the world would have learnt its lesson from the world bank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I wouldnt mind getting a .ie domain name except for the fact that they are more expensive
    It's always annoyed me that the .ie is more expensive; I think the IEDR should be promoting it more so that Irish sites have their own unique identity.

That said, the level of protection that you do get from squatters and those registering similar names makes it worth the extra.

• Advertisement
Advertisement