Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell optiplex GX 270 won't power up

• 17-02-2007 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

Mods - Please move this if it's in the wrong section.

I have a Dell Optiplex GX 270 here that won't power up. What I mean by this, is when I press the power button the system powers for for about half a second and then powers back down. Some times it stays on long enough to get the POST beep but then dies.

Power supply fine - Checked. LED on the motherboard fine.
    There is a PCB behind the switch, going to another PCB (With USB and audio on front) going onto the motherboard, all connected by ribbon cable. I pulled the cable out of the motherboard and found the 2 pins for the power button. I shorted them and all i'm getting is the machine booting for about half a second.

Tried removing the CMOS battery, to no avail. I'm totally stumped.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Strip it down to the graphics, hard drive and RAM (reseat that too), see if there is any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Tried all that. Now I eventually got it started. Every 5 or 6 pushes of the button it actually boots up. Then as soon as Windows (I'm on 2k) is about to boot it just dies again

When I boot up after shutting itself down, it says "System reset due to thermal event, F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

if its giving that error message i would imagine that the processor fan is knackered?

Just did a google - Capacitors on the MOBO, common problem. Dóh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

oh dear, a new mobo it is so!
    i have a PC in work doin the same thing, and have been putting off trying to get it sorted for ages now.
    i think i will just order a new system board from our h/ware supplier straight away so, save myself some frustration time! nice one ;>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Heh, was just going to post the same thing. Saw this a few times at work.

This is gonna sound a bit strange but before u go looking for a new mobo, try putting some new thermal paste on the cpu. Same happened to an old Dell 4550 I had, done the above and now it works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭mobby

JohnCleary wrote:
    Just did a google - Capacitors on the MOBO, common problem. Dóh!

This is a problem with Dell Gx270s, if you purchased from Dell you could take a chance and see if they would replace the board. If you have a look at the M/board you can see the capacitor that has swollen and requires replacement, if you handy enough with a soldering Iron you can pick up a capacitor in the likes of maplins for a couple of Euro and try sort it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Black Sky

If you are prepared for Dell support ring them and argue your case. May depend on the support person you get.
    Any idea how old the Optiplex is. Most have 3 years warranty, and at this stage many of these have expired warranties. (270's older model now). I know for corporate dell accounts they will continue to replace out of warranty mboards on gx270's due to this issue for a while longer
    Pissed off with 'em to be honest. Replaced 40+ over past year in my company I'd say. Some capacitors are swollen at various points on mboard to look at. Look very "fat".
    Also be aware as they probably won't do it, but in our experience there is a better than 50-50 chance your power supply will go withing a few days/weeks of mboard replacement........

T'was a friends machine. He's doing his project on it, tis from uni so he said he's gonna contact them first, they might replace the PC and he can keep the HD

• Advertisement
Advertisement