Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring my car when I'm in France

Options
  • 17-02-2007 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi,

I'm planning on going to France for approx. 6 months and I want to bring my car with me, so I'm trying to figure our what to do for car insurance.

- I first thought of getting my irish insurance extended to cover me while I'm there (my policy covers 31days in Europe for free). I rang the company but they told me I couldn't get any extension on this 31 day limit, even paying extra for it. Does anyone know if any Irish companies will do a policy that would cover me to be in Europe for the 6 months?

- I then thought of French insurance. I will have a residential address and I have a full Irish licence + 4 years no-claims so I can get insured but I would have to pay until the end of the year even if I only stay until September. Does anyone have advice/experience of doing this?

Thanks in advance
    Darren

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Darren_C

Just posting this back up to say I talked to the insurance company again and spoke to a different person and I can get a green card and get cover for up to 6 months for an extra fee.

Cool

D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

If you don't mind, how much is the extra fee?

I wonder if it would even be possible to insurance an Irish reg. car with a French insurance company?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

embraer170 wrote:
    If you don't mind, how much is the extra fee?

I'd like to know that too. What's the car, how much is your normal insurance and how much is the extra fee, Darren?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i brought my car on hols to france last year and didn't have to pay anything extra. but it was only for 10 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

embraer170 wrote:
    I wonder if it would even be possible to insurance an Irish reg. car with a French insurance company?

Yes ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement