Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great meatloaf without egg?

• 17-02-2007 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to make meatloaf but without egg as I'm cooking for one and eggs only come in packs of six minimum so probably four would go to waste (don't like eggs scrambled, fried etc).

I hate to see good food go to waste so was thinking might just use milk instead.

Was thinking of meatloaf with mince, crumbled up home made bread, tomatoes, shredded carrots, mushrooms, sliced peppers, sliced onions and a small bit of shredded ginger and one finely chopped red chilli and maybe half a pint roughly of milk to bind it together with some salt, pepper and maybe some parsley and oregano and a dash of Worcester sauce.

Going to turn out horrible?, anyone have better meatloaf recipes minus the egg?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Personally, if I wasn't using egg, I'd just leave it out as opposed to subbing it with anything - especially in meatloaf.

How about alternative egg recipes - like use them in baking, pancakes, choux pastry, custard, meringue etc? You don't have to eat them straight up...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Custard rules, perhaps you should use the rest of teh dozen to experiment with making it! (tis not the easiest thing)

you could make bread and butter pudding too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I have seen Nigella freezing unused egg-whites, so you might be able
    to crack and freeze the egg in a wee baggie?

I suppose you could use some flour and water to bind the mixture together?

I think Fallon & Byrne sell eggs seperately.

Or - for the unused eggs - you could make Hollandaise sauce?

Spagetti Carbonara?

Advertisement