Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering IBB Breeze 3Mb

Options
  • 17-02-2007 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Thinking of getting this (IBB Breeze 3Mb), but a bit worried about what I read about IBB.
    Will be using it for (roughly in order of importance):
    1. VoIP - using it instead of a land line
    2. video streaming,webcams
    3. vnc - to connect to other PCs
    4. web browsing, email
    5. downloads, inc torrent
    6. small bit of gaming (counterstrike etc.)

Any current users here and how would you rate it for those uses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

davmigil wrote:
    Hi,

Thinking of getting this (IBB Breeze 3Mb), but a bit worried about what I read about IBB.
    4. web browsing, email

1. Works OK for Voip (I use Freespeech).
    2. Not tried this
    3. Works OK, can be slow if you use high rez/hi colour.
    4. Works Ok, sometimes it slows down , get timeouts/no page loads (YMMV)
    5. OK for regular DL/FTP, never tried torrents.
    6. Not tried

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭davmigil

Thanks gerryo. So would you say mainly works, not spectacularly, but usually gets the job done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

With wireless it's nearly all to do with the mast you're on and specifically the sector on that mast. It might work swimmingly in one place and might be a complete dog in another. With IBB, in my experience, it was mostly the latter but that was a few years ago and it's possible that they have improved now. My 3Mbps connection hovered around 1Mbps on a good day, 150kbps on a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

davmigil wrote:
    Hi,

4. web browsing, email

1. Not good enough. dropping packets resulted in clipping of voice while in use.
    2. No problems so far.
    3. No problems so far, I use RDP & RADMIN mostly though.
    4. Fine up to the 21/12/06, now very poor (ISDN Speeds)
    5. As above,
    6. XBOX live has worked fine for joining and hosting games although voice is poor at times.

As I said up to the 21/12/06 when they "upgraded" my package from 2MB to 3MB it was perfect, couldnt fault them. But since then the service has been very poor and the support non existent. I've ordered a 2MB package from Eircom which should be active on the 5th of march. if they havent sorted my issues by then I'm switching over.

davmigil wrote:
    Thanks gerryo. So would you say mainly works, not spectacularly, but usually gets the job done?
    Having looks at other posts regarding games & the need for low latency (20~30mS pings), it would appear (IME) IBB would be poor in that respect.

As such, maybe 6. is then a non runner.

Also should mention, it's supposed to be a 3 up/3 down, I've never gotten more than 2 up, but I don't really mind that so much.

It's also contended (24:1), so in theory, you share BW with 24 others, means it can go as low as 125Kb/S. I've seen it go lower last Monday night, but it's usually ~1Mb/S.

Conclusion - It's OK for what you get/pay for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

gerryo wrote:
    Having looks at other posts regarding games & the need for low latency (20~30mS pings), it would appear (IME) IBB would be poor in that respect.

As such, maybe 6. is then a non runner.

Also should mention, it's supposed to be a 3 up/3 down, I've never gotten more than 2 up, but I don't really mind that so much.

It's also contended (24:1), so in theory, you share BW with 24 others, means it can go as low as 125Kb/S. I've seen it go lower last Monday night, but it's usually ~1Mb/S.

Conclusion - It's OK for what you get/pay for.

I would not agree...I have no problem with latency.. I am on ibb breeze 3mb and it can go below 30 at times.. mostly around 30-50 on british servers anyway for bf2.

If you want me to ping some servers for you and post the results just get me some ip addresses

Thanks guys, really appreciate feedback. Sounds like it should do the trick. So think I will give it a try for 12 months anyway, save me on getting a landline.

Thanks for the offer ab_cork. Ping clarity.jolt.co.uk , will give me a comparison to adsl in work. Have kinda weaned myself of games, so don't mind if pings aren't fantastic, but nice to be able to play all the same!

here you go

Pinging clarity.jolt.co.uk [195.149.21.11] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=52
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=52
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=52
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 195.149.21.11:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 30ms, Average = 28ms

Not too different from 2Mb utv adsl here at work (average 26ms), quite respectable - I suppose my mileage may vary.. Thanks again ab_cork :)

okay no problem!

• Advertisement

ab_cork wrote:
    here you go

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=52
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=52
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=52
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=52

Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 30ms, Average = 28ms
    Here are my results, also from IBB

Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=181ms TTL=52
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=160ms TTL=52
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=165ms TTL=52
    Reply from 195.149.21.11: bytes=32 time=170ms TTL=52

Minimum = 160ms, Maximum = 181ms, Average = 169ms

Not all IBB masts are the same, so YMMV.

Ouch! Thanks gerryo, looks like it might be cold-turkey on the gaming front - on the bright side, might get to keep my life so!

davmigil wrote:
    Ouch! Thanks gerryo, looks like it might be cold-turkey on the gaming front - on the bright side, might get to keep my life so!
    At the same time, I've no issues with VoIP, & usually a few hundred mS is very noticable. I think maybe ICMP is given low priority on my local mast.:confused:

Best way is to find someone in your area with it, see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

ab_cork wrote:
    I would not agree...I have no problem with latency.. I am on ibb breeze 3mb and it can go below 30 at times.. mostly around 30-50 on british servers anyway for bf2.

If you want me to ping some servers for you and post the results just get me some ip addresses

Hey,

Do you know which mast your connected to in Cork?
    And's are you happy with the connection.

Thinking of getting IBB in Grange, so it'd be either a Douglas mast or Spurhill, according to IBB sales-person.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mlink73

Hey,

Thinking of getting IBB in Grange, so it'd be either a Douglas mast or Spurhill, according to IBB sales-person.

Thanks

I am in Douglas as well Service is OK but not great. As you have lots of people in Douglas using IBB you will expirience serious speed impacts during peak times, and weekends. X-Box games freez frequently and torrents and emule doesn't work you will only get around 8-15kb sec with those, FTP works fine though.

mlink73 wrote:
    I am in Douglas as well Service is OK but not great. As you have lots of people in Douglas using IBB you will expirience serious speed impacts during peak times, and weekends. X-Box games freez frequently and torrents and emule doesn't work you will only get around 8-15kb sec with those, FTP works fine though.

Don't like the sound of that!! IBB sales guy told me mast in douglas has only been active the last few months.
    How long are you using IBB and what package you got?

Thanks

Hey,

Thanks

Im on the spur hill mast, only live about a mile from it :D
    And yea im very happy with the connection,well better than any dsl service i could ever get

ab_cork wrote:
    Im on the spur hill mast, only live about a mile from it :D
    And yea im very happy with the connection,well better than any dsl service i could ever get

Where exactly is the Spur hill mast? Spur hill is Doughcloyne area right?

Thanks for feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Overlooking Dunnes / Bishopstown roundabout / Bandon Road.

Big tall metal thingy on the hill top. Where all the Cork City TV comes from. Also SCTV's Ku Band Digital MMDS, Cork ATV, Cork 70cm repeater, Digiweb Metro and a bunch of other Stuff.

If you want to find it by road, coming from bishopstown up sarsfield road and turn right, just under a mile straight up there you cant miss it on your right

• Advertisement
Advertisement