Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB with 1" tyres

Options
  • 17-02-2007 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Use a specialized hardrock for commuting about 18 miles a day. Currently have specialized armadillo 1.5" wide slick tyres. Need to get new ones now.
    Was thinking of skinnier 1" tyres.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Hey Garlad,

I had 1.5's and changed to 1.25's on my hardrock. AFAIK, the rims won't take anything thinner. Well, that's what the lads in cycleogical told me. They were fairly helpful and got me a nice set for 20quid a piece. I had to change my tubes though, because i was using the stock tubes which just about fit the 1.5's, but were too big for the 1.25's.

I did notice a fairly big difference with them too. Hope that helps. If anyone knows of a 1.0 that'll fit hardrock rims i'd like to know. Super skinnies would be deadly!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Chainreaction have some slicks at 1.1" which could be worth a go. Or, seeing as you're doing a decent bit of milage, why not move to a road bike? I improved my time pretty dramatically when I did.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Thanks for info guys.
    Sticker on my mavic 717 rims have air pressures for different tyre widths, showing 1" and 2.3", so I am guessing 1" will be ok. Will check out chainreaction.
    Was toying with road bike before, but used to do a lot of mountainbiking and had no room for 2 bikes. Havent done much mountainbiking recently though, so next bike will probably be a road bike.
    Whats the deal with those bikes I see around town with one gear, and what seems to be back pedal brakes. Any good? Suitable for commuting, or mainly flat areas suited to couriers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I have Continental Ultra Gatorskin 26x1.125 on my Specialized Rockhopper. I pump them to 90-95psi (Mavic 717 rims I think).
    I used to have Continental Sport Contact (26x1.3). No complaints about either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Up until recently I used Hutchinson Topslicks (26x1.00"/559x25mm) at 100psi on Mavic217's, great for speed but stopping, particularly in the wet, was often scary. I have now changed to Panaracer Pasela Tour Guard(26x1.25"/559x32mm) at 80psi, bought in Halfords, in the hope that the slightly wider tyre will give me a bit more confidence on the road.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement