Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skins

• 17-02-2007 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

E4's new show.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

What about it? kinda pointless post, but i have watched the show and i enjoy it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i have a few of them saved for a rainy day. i do hear it is good though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

I'm a big fan. Very clever show I think with a great young cast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

the lad who plays sid is excelent as is the guy who plays chris. the only one I actually ddont think is any good is the guy who was in about a boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Anyone know the name of the song that they use in the tv ads for skins?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Passport

I think it's by a band called gossip, their main hit, could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

think you're right it's the gossip standing in the way of control, great track!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Posted this on another thread about Skins but I think it still holds true

AA Gill has a good piece in the Culture section of the times that sums up Skins pretty well in my opinion, this is an extract from part of it ;

The cast of Skins includes (all together now): a gay one, a Muslim/ethnic-minority one, a comically anorexic one, a nerdy, unfanciable best friend and a perfect, two-dimensional smug, Fonz-ish leader who weaves in and out of capers and adventures with his pulchritudinous prom-queen girlfriend. The whole fantasy is such an embarrassing, brown-nosing suck up to tenagers, it's almost too blush-making to watch.

Skins is patently trying to do two things: first, toadyingly to integrate itself with teenagers by oleaginous flattery; and, second, to infuriate the sorts of viewers' organisations, pressure grops and single-issue maniacs that get airtime for their causes by being easier to infuriate than a rattlesnake with tinnitus.

I have watched a bit of it since reading this and I still firmly believe that it is nothing special although very watchable. It is trying to balance the hard hitting topics with sexy and funny - it doesnt work too well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Somehow methinks that the AA Gill sort isn't the target audience for skins.

Anyway, I think it's a class show. However, they could do with throwing in one or two happy episodes instead of pretty much everyone bar Tony's life being a misery. The acting's pretty solid, though I thought the bloke who played Sid this week was a bit poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Well that might well be true but I think they may have aimed for a bigger target audience than what they are getting.

It still does not take away the points that were made, just beacuse it is aimed a younger audience does not mean that audience should be subject to cheesy mediocracy. It lacks originality and plays it safe in the topics it covers in each episode.

Could of been alot better, thats all...
    oh and the actor from about a boy - aghh - he annoys me alot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭louisecm

I'm loving Skins, i find most of the characters really likeable, particularly poor Cassie. However Nicholas Hoult's Tony is vile, and I just don't buy Michelle as the kind of sex bomb she is supposed to be. She's just not attractive enough to be honest. Surprised to hear people think the actor playing Sid is weak, I really like him and think his performance is subtle but great. Also, my teenage sister and all her friends are watching so its obviously striking a chord with that generation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Passport wrote:
    I think it's by a band called gossip, their main hit, could be wrong though.

Yep thats them, cheers:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tanjy

Ya it's a great song. Love the show but it could be a bit more upbeat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

I love skins! The last episode in Russia was excellent. Tony is such a prick though. It was hilarious when Chris said Tony had found something he wasn't good at, if you saw the show you would know what I mean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I'm really enjoying it myself as well, the last episode was hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I have been watching this too and I must agree in that I think the actor playing Sid is fantastic and is the main reason I tune in (along with Chris; his episode was very good). Not as hard hitting as it could have been, and I think it's a bit too PC but it's decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

sorry but after watchin a few of the episodes it gets too far fectched, i mean everything you can think of happens in it, it doesnt really have much of a realistic approach (which might make it appealing i suppose). Does anyone else think that after watchin the episode where they went to Russia was a bit much? i dont know maybe im wrong but it annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

weedhead wrote:
    sorry but after watchin a few of the episodes it gets too far fectched, i mean everything you can think of happens in it, it doesnt really have much of a realistic approach (which might make it appealing i suppose). Does anyone else think that after watchin the episode where they went to Russia was a bit much? i dont know maybe im wrong but it annoys me.

Yeah it is a bit far fetched but I think that the trend today seems to be to write really great characters and then take it from there. I think they have the mix of characters spot on in this show and I could nearly look back to my late teens and identify a friend or someone I knew who was like one of the characters. They are kind of cartoonish variations on real people and they end up in quite cartoony situations but it doesnt bother me as I know im gauranteed some great laughs along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

The last episode about Michelle was far weaker than the the others. Perhaps down to her character so I'm not worried as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Good show with some great characters and lolololo bits.

Chris is awesome, he's living every young guys dream.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tyther

what episode number is it on now because i only started watching last week and want to download the ones i missed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

It's too far-fetched and er, dumb to make great television but it's entertaining if there's nothing else on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

It is too far-fetched. The episode in Russia was like an episode from a carry-on film! It's good enough though and the acting is ok for the most part. I just think if it was more realistic it would be much better.

Advertisement