Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spare Tyres on new Cars

Options
  • 17-02-2007 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

Just noticed some new cars e.g. Ford S-max and Mazda RX8 don’t come with 1) Spare Tyre 2) either a jack or brace. but have what they call a puncture repair kit instead. Is this the Norm in all new cars? and if so how will it effect getting an NCT in 4 years time as its my understanding a spare tyre is a requirement.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Its only tested if there is a spare wheel there. If theres no spare wheel,they dont check it. I had it on my 106. No jack, wheel or anything. The guy just advised me to get one ' in case i get stuck!'

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mobby wrote:
    Just noticed some new cars e.g. Ford S-max and Mazda RX8 don’t come with 1) Spare Tyre 2) either a jack or brace. but have what they call a puncture repair kit instead. Is this the Norm in all new cars? and if so how will it effect getting an NCT in 4 years time as its my understanding a spare tyre is a requirement.
    If you have a bald spare tyre you will fail the NCT. However, if you do not have a spare, or if you remove it prior to the test, it does not form part of the test.

PS - New Beamers do not have a spare either - run flat tyres ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A few cars now come with run-flat tyres as standard, most noteable the BMW range. Expensive to replace. Others, such as the Rover 75 have a can of 'tyre weld' instead of the usual spare tyre and toolkit.

If the car came without a spare wheel then the NCT tester should take this into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I suppose with these run flats you are limited in your choice of tyres for the car?

Now that would pi$$ me off.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A space saver spare whhel and tyre was a €10 extra on a Ford Focus ST.

I've no experience of tyre weld, but would imagine it's rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Tyre weld is rubbish, it is only a get you out of bother solution. After the application of tyreweld it is impossible to properly check the tyre carcase internally for secondary damage so you should scrap the tyre for safety.
    Same applies to the runflats. The tyre manufacturers wont say you can repair them safely. The advice to tyre dealers is you can but the risk is on the tyre dealer.
    Ireland 2007 would you chance the litigation???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A lot of places won't put patches on tyres that have had tyre weld or similar spray used.

And if you rip the sidewall off a kerb or you hit a pothole that dents your rim, you won't be going anywhere unless you have a spare tyre.

Advertisement