Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to meet people?

• 17-02-2007 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

It's Saturday night and I'm sitting in because I have no where to go. It's pathetic. In Dublin 2 years and have always went back home for the weekend but it's time I got out there...before anyone suggests: housemates-not an option-they're a couple and do their own thing, sports:not a hope in hell, work-I work with 2 people who are much, much older....

Mid twenties girl, good fun but just don't know how to get out there and meet people. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Why don't you come to some boards beers.

You'll meet more people than you'll ever possibly want to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The boards beers is a good idea alright, look under Sys->Events. Maybe you should take up a sport (have you tried even though you say not a hope in hell), try something different and if you don't like it then you can always pack it in.
    Drag the couple out for a night and maybe you'll find some friends of your own if you like the pub/club thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

well i'm in on a saturday night for pretty much the same reason.. so hit me up! w00t..

also, move out and into a house with non couples, my criteria for housemates does not include consumating folk.

Oh come on people, we're all in on a saturday night for the same reason.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Silverfish wrote:

Final year??

• Advertisement

Alright alright, you don't all need to post with 'broken ankle??' or 'sick dog??' or 'Kite stuck in eye??'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'm only staying in because I'm an angry loner with no money and nowhere to go... otherwise I'd be out boogying-down with all the other piss-heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Thanks guys....personally I think it's a lot harder for girls to meet people than guys....lads have their sports etc and can just go to the pub on their own and strike up a conversation with a random guy at the bar....

Can't really move out at the moment. Lease and all that.

Sports...no really, there isn't a sport on the planet that I could do justice, I'm useless :D

Life is lonely sometimes peeps...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I hate going out weekend nights lately. Being Sober Samuel is not always fun and games...

Oh yah and I got a kite stuck in my eye as well^^

OP I think you should get a sport. Is there definitely nothing at all you're interested in??? Not even tennis or something?
    Edit: Apparently not!

I dunno, the no sports option has me flummoxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'm losing my appetite for the niteclub/get drunk in the pub thing and would really like some interesting alternative. I don't have any interest in salsa dancing or martial arts but something like that would be cool.

Oh I'm in because I was out last night :o

Oh and boards beers are really a very good way to meet people!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

Be friendly i guess... as Ruu says, take up a hobby or join a club. Work nights out? (organise one?).

(I'll have you all know, I've been at a spa all afternoon & am too tired to go out, plus I think i'm getting too old to go out boozing every weekend.. I'd much rather my own company ...plus I find it hard to find people worthy of my company! :p;) )
    I'm off to sleep now. Night night!
    :)

I see what you mean. I'm a girl, and I'm telling you, come to the boards beers.

Linky

Go on!

You can sit and talk to me about why people who do sports need their heads checked.

Thanks Silverfish, that sounds great! :)

MayMay wrote:
    Thanks guys....personally I think it's a lot harder for girls to meet people than guys....lads have their sports etc and can just go to the pub on their own and strike up a conversation with a random guy at the bar....

Can't really move out at the moment. Lease and all that.

Sports...no really, there isn't a sport on the planet that I could do justice, I'm useless :D

oooh girlie girl, i just read this after posting last one.
    What about a book club? or get involved in Anne Summers parties or tupper ware parites? or what are you interested in?
    I reckon being positive & pro-active, think about things that you're passionate about and go do them. You'll end up meeting like minded people that way!!
    xx

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I know there are Swing Dancing classes somewhere in town as a friend of mine goes to them. They could be worth a try (sounds like fun to me :) )

Otherwise come to the Beers, they are lots and lots of fun!

I'm home cause I'm sick, I hate being sick

Thanks Backtoblack....I like music, animals, outdoors, pubs/clubs....would be up for anything other than the sport thing really :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

MayMay wrote:
    Thanks Backtoblack....I like music, animals, outdoors, pubs/clubs....would be up for anything other than the sport thing really :)
    You could join a hiking club, that's a sport that you could do. You'd meet plenty o people that way, or do Yoga or something. Or you could take an evening class, join a class to learn a musical instrument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Come to the Paranormal Forum Drinks (as per my sig ;)) or just check out the forum they do weird stuff all the time and it makes for interesting conversations.

Photography Forum is very social too and you dont need to be a photographic expert.

MayMay wrote:

Go to music lessons? Help out at an animal shelter?
    Them boards beers are a calling you too! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

The Boards Beers are great craic and the initial awkwardness passes after 4.7 seconds.

• Advertisement

Boards Beers sounds like a plan so! :D

MayMay wrote:
    Roffles, not really.

I'm actually feeling kinda sad for you AND me cause of that (mostly me) another board user suggested I go to the beers, but I'm unavailable next weekend.:(

(yes I am trying to make your thread about me. Sorry!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭redcrew

what about joining a dancing class or something a little less sporty. Most dance classes end up with people going to the bar after or going on for further dancing somewhere else!!

Btw I'm in because I need a break from being out (and I just got broadband at home...nice one!)

Roffles, not really.

I'm actually feeling kinda sad for you AND me cause of that (mostly me) another board user suggested I go to the beers, but I'm unavailable next weekend.:(

(yes I am trying to make your thread about me. Sorry!)

Well at least I know I'm not the only one Brian! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

6th wrote:
    Come to the Paranormal Forum Drinks (as per my sig ;)) or just check out the forum they do weird stuff all the time and it makes for interesting conversations.

Photography Forum is very social too and you dont need to be a photographic expert.
    Yep... both good suggestions. I've only started reading the photography forum recently and I'm very surprised by how they've set up such a friendly little corner of boards.ie

I'm a non-beleiver, but I do still enjoy the paranormal forum and it's gatherings.

Sheesh... This thread kind of makes me feel bad, as I actually had got somewhere to go this evening, but just wasn't bothered in the end...

MayMay wrote:
    Well at least I know I'm not the only one Brian! ;)

You've named a couple of things that your not interested in but can you name three hobbies or interests? Just so we can get an idea of what you might like to try out.

You've named a couple of things that your not interested in but can you name three hobbies or interests? Just so we can get an idea of what you might like to try out.

Animals, music, gigs, clubs, pubs, outdoors, cinema....and I like going to sports, like going to GAA and rugby matches. I just can't play them :)

If you are going to see a certain metal band on march 3rd (a group and venue I'm not allowed mention for reasons explained in a sticky) then I'll be there if that's any help. I would've thought it was fairly easy to meet people at gigs, I mena you already know you have something in common with people there?

I'm home tonight 'cause I've work at 10 tomorrow and theres no way in hell I'm going in hungover. Kids+Popcorn+Hangover = mental breakdown.

I've never been to a boards beer, would love to go but iffy about being referred to or introducing myself as "boneyarsebogman". Seems a bit .. odd.

Damnit, why didn't I pick a name like "Cool Dude", or "Dragon".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Silverfish wrote:

You've a baby too?

nesf wrote:
    You've a baby too?
    Silverfish wrote:
    Alright alright, you don't all need to post with 'broken ankle??' or 'sick dog??' or 'Kite stuck in eye??'.

Now including babies.

Also are there any other websites like maybefriends out there? Ones I don't have to pay for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Perhaps try and get in contact with your old school pals? There are a couple of good sites for doing so. Lostschoolfriends.ie is one that I can think of right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Silverfish wrote:
    Now including babies.

:D

• Advertisement

Ruu wrote:
    Perhaps try and get in contact with your old school pals? There are a couple of good sites for doing so. Lostschoolfriends.ie is one that I can think of right now.

Ewww. Personally I would like them the stay lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Bad Ruu. tut tut.
    http://www.adverts.ie/index.php?cat=4

Maymay, go to the next boards beers.
    You don't even have to drink. There are plenty of people who attend and don't drink. (not me)

Oh yeah: A/S/L? :)

Just Kidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

She probably doesnt wanna go to the boards beers alone - thats why i never went!

If you like animals theres a great bunch of people out there, and a great forum. Dunno if i can post a linky here but they have nights out and most if not all become friends.

Trinity1 wrote:
    She probably doesnt wanna go to the boards beers alone - thats why i never went!

If you like animals theres a great bunch of people out there, and a great forum. Dunno if i can post a linky here but they have nights out and most if not all become friends.

I'm sure it'd be ok to post a link thanks Trinity :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

MayMay wrote:
    I'm sure it'd be ok to post a link thanks Trinity :)

http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/

There ya go!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

If you're interested in politics, joining a political party is a good way of making friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MayMay... How about joining a community theatre? They are loads of fun. And if you don't want to audition, then check out what else they need to put on a production. Let your creative spirits loose! If anything, the cast parties are a blast, and you don't have to be in the cast to have fun at them, just a member of theatre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Call me!PM me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Hmm, I don't have a huge circle of friends, but I have a close circle of about 10-15 people that I see regularly or every month. I'd rather have a small circle of friends that are close to me than have about 50 friends that I only know from drunken nights.

But I'd say the best way to make friends is to join social clubs relevant to your interests. Go to local pubs, become a known face. Always keep in touch with ANY friends you have, you'll find you wont know the person you knew a few month ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Silverfish wrote:
    I see what you mean. I'm a girl, and I'm telling you, come to the boards beers.
    You're a girl?

I'm almost as confused now as when Tar told me he/she was a man/woman. I think he doesn't even knows himself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

So Glad wrote:
    Hmm, I don't have a huge circle of friends, but I have a close circle of about 10-15 people that I see regularly or every month. I'd rather have a small circle of friends that are close to me than have about 50 friends that I only know from drunken nights.

But I'd say the best way to make friends is to join social clubs relevant to your interests. Go to local pubs, become a known face. Always keep in touch with ANY friends you have, you'll find you wont know the person you knew a few month ago.

I'd agree with that, 1 of my biggest flaws is I never organise anything, nights out etc. I just have this mind set that people will not want to do something or will always be busy so I never bother which means many a night spent in.
    Tonight I was actually out as I was attending a birthday party from someone in work but if that wasn't organised I would have stayed in.
    The worst part is I know it's illogical and i know it's stupid yet I still do it or don't do it as case is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

holy sh*t there's a personals section to adverts?

...aww its empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

cooker3 wrote:
    I'd agree with that, 1 of my biggest flaws is I never organise anything, nights out etc. I just have this mind set that people will not want to do something or will always be busy so I never bother which means many a night spent in.
    Tonight I was actually out as I was attending a birthday party from someone in work but if that wasn't organised I would have stayed in.
    The worst part is I know it's illogical and i know it's stupid yet I still do it or don't do it as case is.

Yep, I've been reluctant to do that also, being nervous of the outcome, but it's always been ok if you bring the right people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Terry wrote:
    Heh.

OP: If you're attractive, I'll happily be your friend...if you're not...well...
    But seriously, its easy to meet people in this country, you've just got to take up an activity that interests you. Theres loads of different clubs, socs etc. around the country and throughout Dublin, just join one of them and you'll be flying. Apparently, athletics clubs are a fantastic way to meet people, despite the fact that you're running the whole time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement