Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will 20 somethings look back on music in 40 years?

Options
  • 18-02-2007 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Pondering on the issues I have with the whole ,buy or not buy CD's issue ,I wondered how people will look back at music in 30 years.

It's easy for me to say I like holding Cd's ,but I certainly wouldn't hold back on images from artists of artists playing music .
    Excuse me now I'm a little frazzled ,but wouldn't it be great to listen to an album and have shots from the latest photographer in that area.

Maybe material items are cool to have at hand ,but having two people sharing a view of something is probably more a message than one.

I'm off and then back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

that whole post leaves me scratching my head and thinking wtf

think i get your jist and yes i do like to own cd's but only of albums i truely love. not bothered otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Wasn't meant to be O tae tae ,but it probably was .....

I post sometimes like I dance ,leaving people a bit aback ,I always hope not in an office way .................:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I haven't bought a cd in years tbh. They're a waste of space and other resources imhoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

simu wrote:
    I haven't bought a cd in years tbh. They're a waste of space and other resources imhoe.

Thats kind of my point ,well I wouldn't really call it a point ,it's more an inconclusive observation.
    Hopefully that gap in the market caused by the loss of manufacturing ,could evolve a different industry and create a new market.

Whatever .. bla bla ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

As a collector who enjoys all aspects of an album (from the packaging right up to the music) I imagine in 40 years I'll be reminiscing on the good old days. When you bought an album, you bought a CD or an LP and you actually had to physically put it in/on the player but you got all this great paper to read while you were listening and pictures to look at. Some artists included all sorts of things with their records like flattened pennies, paintings, jigsaws, dream machines and even a story to read to music. Nowadays the kids just have their playlists and DRM and don't know what an album is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

About a year ago i started to buy all the albums i love on vinyl as I love the actual putting on of a record and the whole process is so relaxing. But i also have an awesome mp3 player and decent speakers for all the rest. CD's are the past the future is vinyl, for me anyway...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

we all know the pro's of the mp3.

i was a little sad when the tapes went out of fashion as they were cheaper to buy. but then the cd came out and it was happy days no more fast forwarding and rewinding to your favourite part of the album. cd's were prone to scrath despit all the care and attention you gave them, but of course tapes were not sturdy either.

i myself will always buy a cd of my favourite band. despite the fact you can buy them on itunes. when the album charts mattered i loved the anticapting of saving my pocket money to run out to the music shops and get my favourite band's new album.i remember the hype of say oasis' be here now ablum (which as oasis fan is really annoyed on how some fellow fans think its muck), or the band war between them and blur (remember father damo asking dougal who'd he prefer) it was a bit like following your favourite football them then (quite silly really as i fell for the hype a bit because it was exiciting and then went off and bought blur's album too)

i love the way some bands made an effort with their album sleeves, eg sgt pepper's lonely heart club band and am trilled of th fact that a place in my hometown was used for the album cover of u2's unforgetable fire.

Advertisement