Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bouncers - Right to refuse Admission VS Discrimination

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

But on a similar note, what about in England where some shopping centres have banned the wearing of hoodies in and around the premise.

I think it's a bit idiotic tbh. It's a bit like taking paracetamol for the headache that your brain tumour is giving you. It might seem to improve things but the underlying problem will still be there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

i find the that alot of pubs/clubs in ireland have become pretentious with a door policy and its fair to say the most people will have a lame experience when trying to get into a club/pub.

That being said I have found that as I get older i give less of a toss if i get refused (altho you do get refused less and less as you get older), its simply bring your custom elsewhere. If the door policy and doorman are tossers then simply dont bother goin there again. No love lost. Anyone else feel this way? (Im almost 30!)

As far some of the talk of discrimination, it was actually because of the claims against pubs/clubs after the equality act (2000) was brought in that the legislation was slightly changed to make it more difficulty to make a case.

Either way there are 7 grounds for discrimination such as gender, Age, race, member of the travelling community, marital status etc but appearance aint one of them. Put simply if you go up to the door of the club and they say no without givin u a reason its like this. Unless you can prove you were discriminated against on one of those grounds then forget it! E.g. lets say you are gay and the doorman says no but doesnt say why. You could argue that the perception was your sexual preference. (cases have been one in this scenario where age was the issue)

I know of a case where the plantiff, after refusing entry went to the local garda station to give a statement so that it was on file that he was sober. (it was late on a sat nite). He did this so that the pub couldnt turn round and say he was hammered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

unreggd wrote:
    thats what im askin too

what ever happened with that traveller who sued someone for gettin refused in a club

Note, i may have dreamt that
    I think that was because the place had a sign up saying no travellers, not 100% sure though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

mloc wrote:
    Also the use of "sorry, over 21s only" is only legal if this is displayed clearly in writing.

This as far as i'm aware is also the case when it comes to dress code, it is supposed to be printed up and displayed outside the premises where you can read it before you approach the door staff.

I have had a few problems in Limerick, with some of the doorstaff, mainly with one pub in the market area of the city, this is what happened:

A mate and i walked up to the pub, after driving past and walking back to the door, i walked in and my friend was stopped, with the comment "where do you think you're going?" my friend reached for his ID and the doorman said, " I mean, look at the state of you", another saw this and came over and said " you're dressed too casual".

This is the point i reemerged from the pub, with the statement " but you left me in"

At this point i'll let you know what we were wearing, I had a pair of Jeans, cream coloured skate shoes, and a black tshirt, my friend was wearing a white shirt closed over a white tshirt and black skate shoes.

He was too casual?????????

I then brought up the point that i made above re the dress code, and was told by a certain well known doorman in limerick of south african descent. and he told me to f*ck off, and said that in his opinion i was too drunk to get in.......I don't drink......

Now i have nothing personally against a doorman doing his job,or being tough on scum when causing trouble, but there is no need to be that rude,when dealing with the public.

sure it is a tough job, i wouldn't deny that for a second, but i personally feel that most of the trouble that starts on the doors of places is due to doormen who are untrained in dealing with the public, not all but some!!!!

I've also been told that my driving liscense and my passport is fake on a few occassions, with the most summary of inspections.WRONG!!!!! no matter how you look at it.

just my 2 cents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Some security guards/bouncers are c*nts, it must be said.

I remember I was going into a fairly normal Irish pub pub on Westmoreland St a few months ago with the missus. We were just going for one before we went home after a movie or something. As I said it's an Irish pub, not a posh place. Still, we weren't dressed up so I was half-expecting to be turned down. So when he asked for ID I showed my Trinity ID card to lessen the impact of my jeans etc. He replies "Sorry, no students."

C*nt.

You'd love it down here mate, there are or at least were places here which only accepted student ID even at weekends, refused DL passport and garda age cards, LOL i had a laugh at that one, the latest college ID's don't even have DOB on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Doormen in this country could learn a thing or two from the bouncers across the Irish Sea in Merry Old England. Nicest Bouncers in the World.

TBH the majority of Door Monkies in Dublin want to feel like Hard Men.

A lot of people are saying Publicans are fully entitled to refuse you entry....thats fine then bring the publican to the door not some Knuckle Dragger whos on a power trip.

Ive had countless encounters with Irish Bouncers and the one thing they are scared of is Garda...the slighrest hint of a Garda nearby or a phone call to a Garda 'friend' and you'll be inside in no time. They dont want their little nixer to come under the spot light.

A good way to get back at them is to ring the club the next day and tell them you are from an entertainments magazine and you'd like to know why the door staff refused you entry as you were going to write a review.

But not all bouncers are muppetts in fact some of my mates are/were door staff. And luckily I know the pubs/clubs where all the sound bouncers are so I try to avoid confrontation on the more main stream clubs in Dublin by just not going.

And no I wont tell you where all the sound bouncers are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

foinse wrote:
    You'd love it down here mate, there are or at least were places here which only accepted student ID even at weekends, refused DL passport and garda age cards, LOL i had a laugh at that one, the latest college ID's don't even have DOB on them.

My sis is in limerick, in her first year she doctored her birthcert and got a college ID saying she was 18, that got her into every club and pub in Limerick. stupid bast*rds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hard Larry wrote:
    Doormen in this country could learn a thing or two from the bouncers across the Irish Sea in Merry Old England. Nicest Bouncers in the World.

Yeah i agree, ive never had a bad experience with a doorman in the uk. Totally different attitude with door policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Hard Larry wrote:

In your experience.
    Hard Larry wrote:
    TBH the majority of Door Monkies in Dublin want to feel like Hard Men..

Says 'Hard Larry'.
    Hard Larry wrote:
    A lot of people are saying Publicans are fully entitled to refuse you entry....thats fine then bring the publican to the door not some Knuckle Dragger whos on a power trip.

You'd like the Publican to be present every night on the off chance that you'd be refused and would want a personal explaination?
    Hard Larry wrote:
    Ive had countless encounters with Irish Bouncers and the one thing they are scared of is Garda...the slighrest hint of a Garda nearby or a phone call to a Garda 'friend' and you'll be inside in no time. They dont want their little nixer to come under the spot light.

Maybe in the old days. In my experience, the majority of door men are on the books and will have received some degree of training. We all must have our Door Security Procedures (DSP) course done by April iirc. Hopefully that will stamp out a lot of the crap which gets us all tarred with the same brush.

And I've had my fair share of confrontations with Guards. All I have to do is explain my reason for refusing the individual, and then that is usually that. Remember that I can take the Guards details and make a complaint if I feel that he is being forceful in attempting to gain access for his mate. We are all accountable.
    Hard Larry wrote:
    A good way to get back at them is to ring the club the next day and tell them you are from an entertainments magazine and you'd like to know why the door staff refused you entry as you were going to write a review.

You could do that, if you had absolutely nothing else going on in your life.
    Hard Larry wrote:
    But not all bouncers are muppetts in fact some of my mates are/were door staff. And luckily I know the pubs/clubs where all the sound bouncers are so I try to avoid confrontation on the more main stream clubs in Dublin by just not going.

And no I wont tell you where all the sound bouncers are.

Again, this is in your experience. You might have trouble getting into Venue A, whilst there are obviously 300-400 other people who are having no problems at all.

If I have a strict policy to enforce then I will enforce it, as it is what I'm getting paid to do. My current situation sees me with the following list of no-no's:

Strictly no access after 12.15am for new customers. (that means no access, regardless of whether your friends are inside.)

Smart shoes - no runners, skateboard shoes etc. (the Publican requested this as he would like to bring the tone of the venue up a notch or two. It stands to reason that smart casual dress would follow.)

No access for obviously drunk customers. (like Dragan, I've made the mistake in initially refusing entry to the designated driver. He/she was obviously acting in a way that would arouse my suspicion.)

An over 21's policy is advised but not strictly adhered to. (we tend to let everyone in once they can prove their age.)

Apart from that we can use our discretion in making a decision on specific cases.

I've had good and bad experiences with taxi drivers, bank clerks, guards, estate agents, teachers, clergy etc etc. Do I tar them all with the same brush? No, because I realise that we are all human. Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I got refused from a bar once because I had my Canadian passport, to which the bouncer said: "I've never seen one of them before, so you're not gettin in".

Went to the embassy the next Monday and complained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

obl wrote:
    I got refused from a bar once because I had my Canadian passport, to which the bouncer said: "I've never seen one of them before, so you're not gettin in".

Went to the embassy the next Monday and complained.
    anything happen?

About my friends:

We never touch an alcohol til we're in a club. We never seem or act remotely drunk, and we're always very well dressed and well groomed, so theres absolutely no reason they get refused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Don't think I have ever had any problems with bouncers in Ireland. In America (like happened in the airport in Liverpool also), all I had was my Garda age card thingy and the chap asked "What's your role in the *squints at card* Department of Justice?". :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Obviously all bouncers aint wanx, but in my experience about 90% of them are

They should need a proper qualification where training includes proper judge of character, body language etc, civil conduct, things like that

Not the usual fat guy in a bomber jacket who probably cant read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Id like to agree, with everybody who reckons bouncers are W*nkers. And as for the couple of door men that are posting saying how levelheaded their approach to their job is, well thats like expecting someone in the motoring forum to admit they are a bad driver:rolleyes:
    I am the guy who was refused 9/10 times (the only times I would be let in were mon/tue night and even then the same W*nkers Id gotten to know on tue nights would have deleted me from their memory when my shift changed and I could go out thursdays again)
    And now ye are all thinking he must be a scumbag:rolleyes: , the thing is I'm not, im from a middle class country backround and would be considered quite well spoken, I have never been in a fight in a nightclub, Ever(rugby pitch and school the same couldnt be said but thats a different story;) ), I always made the effort to look presentable,how successful I was im not sure but I was never any drunker than my mates and I was always at least as well dressed as them. As for their usual sh1te of, "regulars only/not tonight/i dont have to tell you" they wonder why people get frustrated and infuriated, I stopped going into town with my mates(male and female) because I got sick of it, do the doormen here have any idea how embarrassing it is to be refused entry to somewhere when your on a date?

from talking to bouncers in different situations (ie. when they aren't working) I have been told a couple of theories for this

1. I am a big guy and they said that bouncers dont like the thought of having to handle the likes of me.

2. Im just unlucky and get caught on the wrong side of them balancing the sex ratio in the club.

3. I should get to know the guys on the door.

to 1, I would say boll0x, there were always guys bigger than me getting in and anyway Im not that bloody big (gave up rugby coz they wanted me to gain 2 stone to stay propping) As for 2, I would say that not even Jonah was that unlucky:p and 3 how the fcuk can I if the only thing I can get from them is "step away from the door please sir" and the guys who knew me by name on tue appear to have gotten mass amnesia by thursday.

so after all this the only theory I can come up with is that yez are all w*nkers, and because I'll be accused of generalisation; to all the nice doormen out there Im sorry (yes to both of you)

I dont feel as strongly about this subject anymore coz Im older (36) and its not really a problem anymore, you dont want to know what I used to think of ye......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Futureman wrote:
    Wow, you're so connected....

Thanks.
    Good thing I have no understanding of sarcasm. Or could it possibly be jealousy I'm not sure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

My sis is in limerick, in her first year she doctored her birthcert and got a college ID saying she was 18, that got her into every club and pub in Limerick. stupid bast*rds.

Wow your sister is a total Ledge. Way to put one over on the MAN.

Your sister is a college age girl. Bouncers will always let in college age girls unless they're in a hen night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

pred racer wrote:
    I am the guy who was refused 9/10 times (the only times I would be let in were mon/tue night and even then the same W*nkers Id gotten to know on tue nights would have deleted me from their memory when my shift changed and I could go out thursdays again)

The common denominator here is you, not them. So clearly it's their fault.
    I have never been in a fight in a nightclub, Ever(rugby pitch and school the same couldnt be said but thats a different story;) )

So you are the sort of bloke who gets into fights. Maybe they think you're the sort of brainless rugby playing jock who breaks glasses, hassles women, thinks he's god's gift and is a sloppy messy drunk?
    do the doormen here have any idea how embarrassing it is to be refused entry to somewhere when your on a date?

They don't care, it's not their problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

pred racer wrote:
    so after all this the only theory I can come up with is that yez are all w*nkers, and because I'll be accused of generalisation; to all the nice doormen out there Im sorry (yes to both of you)

Not to worry!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭event

dont have a problem with them, though growing up i used to hate when they said

'regulars only lads'

how the **** do you become a regular if they wont let you in?

there is one place in Dundalk that is notorious for it, if you are from the area you'll know it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I used to work asw a bouncer (for a short while).

You tell some one who looks a lil ropey that they can't come in, next thing they are spitting on you and threatening to 'dance on yer head'. Never got into a serious fight myself, usually most muppets back off when thew rest of the boys arrive.

That said, i've seen head bouncers refuse some nice guys for absolutely no reason what so ever and I just thought it was wrong. Sure i've had mates of mine beaten up by bouncers without justification.

A lot of blokes do it for the power trip they get.

Horrible horrible job, i'll never do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

well i have to say that i have never been rejected from entry to Pub,Disco or night club

Never had problem:)

when i hear stories of people getting rejected it makes me feel strange

But once again i am foreign and i think it makes it easy when it comes to gain access to pub,disco or nite club

pred racer wrote:
    Id like to agree, with everybody who reckons bouncers are W*nkers. And as for the couple of door men that are posting saying how levelheaded their approach to their job is, well thats like expecting someone in the motoring forum to admit they are a bad driver:rolleyes:

Not really. I know plenty of guys who do the job who will stop you and laugh in your face about it and would happily sit here and say "the simple fact is mate, i say who goes in and you don't, so stop crying about it and **** off." but i won't say that , because it's not me.

If people want to post that doormen are **** then so be it, but as a doorman who does his job with a degree of dignity don't expect me to sit here and smile while you folks talk sh1t. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

foinse wrote:
    At this point i'll let you know what we were wearing, I had a pair of Jeans, cream coloured skate shoes, and a black tshirt, my friend was wearing a white shirt closed over a white tshirt and black skate shoes.

He was too casual?????????

Dont take this the wrong way mate but t-shirts and skate shoes to me are the equivilant to reebok classics and a soccer jersey.At least make the effort to dress up a bit when your going out for a night.I understand the bouncer was being a prick but he's got a point.

What's needed is accountability, door staff should be licensed and should have to wear ID, the fact that these guys are just a face on a door makes them braver, if they have to wear their name on their chest, then they may be a bit more polite.

padi89 wrote:
    Dont take this the wrong way mate but t-shirts and skate shoes to me are the equivilant to reebok classics and a soccer jersey.At least make the effort to dress up a bit when your going out for a night.I understand the bouncer was being a prick but he's got a point.

I usually dress for the occassion, ie, when going to a rock gig like i was that night....then i'll dress accordingly, the point i was trying to make is that he let me in but stopped my mate who was dressed better than me, by saying he was too casual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Crucifix wrote:
    Did he actually just turn it upside down and let it pour onto the ground?! I think a search is understandable, but I'd be livid if they treated my personal property like that. Plus I treat all my books like they're the original, and sole, copy of some sacred text.

He turned it over after looking in it, once he had comforted himself that there was nothing valuable in there that he might need to pay for. He was a jerk, argh!.

I'm one of two non-drinking people in my usual circle of friends who socialise, so have experienced some extremely polite, really friendly bouncers, and in fairness theirs isn't an easy job.
    I don't go out a whole lot, and have never been refused entry, but it's just the behaviour, and the comments that a lot of doormen make which annoys me. It's like they need to compensate themselves for letting you in by making some ridiculous statement of power like the schoolbag incident, or needlessly commenting, often on girls. I just don't understand them, they're so angry. Why do the job if you hate it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,311 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I disagree foinse: unfortunate as that is. That would really just stir up complete chaos IMO.

Think about it:

- you know the bouncer's name: "OI, Rob, Let me in!" You realise how annoying this would get and how often it would happen??

- 8/10 times your argument is with the Publican; not the door staff who do not truly set policy.

- This is exactly why Gards aren't wearing their names on their chest (though they do have a number)

- I can't imagine any complaint about door staff will actually get listened to but if it does, again, the Publican is the one to assume responsibility.

You can however try these suggestions to get into a club:

- Calm the F* down
    - Go in...sober?
    - Go in EARLY: the mantra then is usually to get the place filled in most places
    - DON'T dress like a chav/pikey/dealer?
    - Carry 2 forms of ID; only present one. Do not use your Driver's License if you have the option. Many policies are switching over to refusing them outright.
    - Try again later; leave without making a scene, perhaps insofar as to appear polite.

And when you do get in, try and consider the great night you will have; because people understand on a subliminal level that the Door policy is sound, and that once they're in there you don't really have to be all that defensive. Less fights break out (or none) when everyone feels secure.

Sure, if you can't seem to get into any nice places (perhaps entirely through no fault of your own; but somehow I doubt it if its a regular occurence) go to one of those places with little or no policy and see if you feel safe without a knife in your pocket.

foinse wrote:
    What's needed is accountability, door staff should be licensed and should have to wear ID, the fact that these guys are just a face on a door makes them braver, if they have to wear their name on their chest, then they may be a bit more polite.

Ah right, so your the kind of person who will bitch about an industry but not check for two seconds what is going on in it?

From the first of April all active doormen need to have there license, and will have an ID badge to be worn and presented on the door. This falls under the duristiction of the ISTA and the PSA, so the industry will be well regulated from that point onwards!

The good news for me is that as from that date i will get paid more. ;)

foinse wrote:
    I usually dress for the occassion, ie, when going to a rock gig like i was that night....then i'll dress accordingly, the point i was trying to make is that he let me in but stopped my mate who was dressed better than me, by saying he was too casual.

sounds like he could have been too dressed up for the night that was in it.
    A bit like going to a rave wearing a tux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭crybaby

tis a tough job and they have to make judgment calls constantly so they can be excused for the odd mistake etc. however some of them are just idiots with severe attitude problems

crybaby wrote:
    tis a tough job and they have to make judgment calls constantly so they can be excused for the odd mistake etc. however some of them are just idiots with severe attitude problems

on the topic of judgement calls, one particular I was able talk my way in after I was straight out told "not tonight buddy"
    I calmy asked why as I've only had 2 drinks, the bouncer called me over to the side and had a small talk with me and let me in shortly after.

I guess not over-reacting had something to do with it as I immediately didn't go "OH FFS, YOU'RE ****IN' JOKIN' RIGHT??!?!!?"

Overheal wrote:
    - you know the bouncer's name: "OI, Rob, Let me in!" You realise how annoying this would get and how often it would happen??

- 8/10 times your argument is with the Publican; not the door staff who do not truly set policy.

- This is exactly why Gards aren't wearing their names on their chest (though they do have a number)

Then number the door staff like the Gardai instead of having their name on an ID.
    Overheal wrote:
    - I can't imagine any complaint about door staff will actually get listened to but if it does, again, the Publican is the one to assume responsibility.

If a doorman is rude to the point of being abusive then the complaint is not with the publican but with the doorman....If i was rude to a customer in my place of employment, i would get it in the neck not the owner of the business, same applies with doorstaff.

You can however try these suggestions to get into a club:

Overheal wrote:
    - Calm the F* down
    - Go in...sober?
    - Go in EARLY: the mantra then is usually to get the place filled in most places
    - DON'T dress like a chav/pikey/dealer?
    - Carry 2 forms of ID; only present one. Do not use your Driver's License if you have the option. Many policies are switching over to refusing them outright.
    - Try again later; leave without making a scene, perhaps insofar as to appear polite.

Again, i don't drink, or get angry very easily, i think i already mentioned that.The general dress code in Limerick is fairly casual,so we tend to dress for the occassion, so rock gig, dress down; fashion show, dress up.......again if you read my posts properly you will see i already mentioned this too.

with regard driving license it is one of the few forms of ID left which we can take out, most places won't accept age cards, cos they're easily copied; I refuse to take my passport out, it is a very important document which i am legally responsible for. i'm not a student so i don't have a college ID, what else am i supposed to use?????
    Overheal wrote:
    Sure, if you can't seem to get into any nice places (perhaps entirely through no fault of your own; but somehow I doubt it if its a regular occurence)

I never said it was a regular occurrence, I normally have no prob getting into places,which is prob why i'm so annoyed about this particular incident.

Dragan wrote:
    Ah right, so your the kind of person who will bitch about an industry but not check for two seconds what is going on in it?

From the first of April all active doormen need to have there license, and will have an ID badge to be worn and presented on the door. This falls under the duristiction of the ISTA and the PSA, so the industry will be well regulated from that point onwards!

The good news for me is that as from that date i will get paid more. ;)

Actually no i'm not that kind of person,I read an article about this in either the Limerick Leader or the Post, i'm just very sceptical about a licensing scheme which demands a training course be completed, but doesn't give time for said course to be completed effectively, and the licensing body have said that they will license people who say they will do the course if they can't do it by 1 April.

Typical shambolic way of doing things in this country!!!

Honestly, if people are so annoyed at the bouncers, find out which company they are working for (would usually be on the jackets they wear), get in contact with them and explain your complaint to them.

[EDIT]double post[/EDIT]

unreggd wrote:
    anything happen?

Well, I've been in twice since with no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

I've found that the ratio of a$$holes to decent people is about the same with bouncers I've met as it is with the drinking, socialising public. So, basically, all of the sweeping generalisations and assumptions about doormen on this thread are silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Caliden wrote:
    on the topic of judgement calls, one particular I was able talk my way in after I was straight out told "not tonight buddy"
    I calmy asked why as I've only had 2 drinks, the bouncer called me over to the side and had a small talk with me and let me in shortly after.

I guess not over-reacting had something to do with it as I immediately didn't go "OH FFS, YOU'RE ****IN' JOKIN' RIGHT??!?!!?"

If I had ever had the chance to do this maybe I wouldnt feel so strongly about the whole subject.

>>Slutmonkey57b... I am none of those things u accuse me of.BTW have you never had a row in school or on the sports pitch? But you'll just have to take my word for that (like our perfect brethren in the motoring forum :-) ) I understand the common denomiator is me, ive just never been able to work out why, I was just trying to relate my experiences and the reason I now have this opinion of doormen.
    Dragan wrote:
    Not really. I know plenty of guys who do the job who will stop you and laugh in your face about it and would happily sit here and say "the simple fact is mate, i say who goes in and you don't, so stop crying about it and **** off." but i won't say that , because it's not me.

If people want to post that doormen are **** then so be it, but as a doorman who does his job with a degree of dignity don't expect me to sit here and smile while you folks talk sh1t.

Yeah, Ive met these type too and it just makes it worse, As you can see from Slutmonkeys reply to my first post we all suffer from stereotyping to some degree or another, my intention was not to offend you or anybody else in particular, maybe someday ill have some good experiences with doormen (although it will be difficult as I'd rather eat my own toenails as go to a nite-club now) and my opinion will change for the better.

As an aside does anyone think the new licencing system for individuals in this industrycoming in in April will make any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

This is some funny ****..........I got refused from the door where I used to be the doorman.............:p ............different contractors but I found it hilarious!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

We all get refused from pubs once in a while. It's not a big deal. If you find that you're getting refused so much that it's becoming an issue, then it's probably your fault. Maybe you need to wash more often, buy some clean clothes, stop getting hammered on Buckfast before going to the pub and/or stop wearing soveirgn rings.

It's not a bouncers fault that Dublin is full of retarded knackers who think R&B is good music. But it is their job to stop them having a good time. More power to 'em I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

Laslo wrote:
    We all get refused from pubs once in a while. It's not a big deal. If you find that you're getting refused so much that it's becoming an issue, then it's probably your fault. Maybe you need to wash more often, buy some clean clothes, stop getting hammered on Buckfast before going to the pub and/or stop wearing soveirgn rings.

It's not a bouncers fault that Dublin is full of retarded knackers who think R&B is good music. But it is their job to stop them having a good time. More power to 'em I say.
    Here here. If it happens to you regularly, then obviously there's something wrong with YOU. Quit with the whole "every bouncer is a pr*ck" lark. If that was the case, the clubs wouldn't be full!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Kenny 5 wrote:
    This is some funny ****..........I got refused from the door where I used to be the doorman.............:p ............different contractors but I found it hilarious!!!

Happened to me too! I used to work for the company on this particular door and the owner didn't pay me for two gigs, so I left. Then he wouldn't let me into my local nightclub.

I had my vengeance though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Well, as of Wednesday I will no longer be refused from clubs on the basis of legal ageism :)

Although I've had a class cancelled passport of a guy who looks exactly like me for the past 3/4 months which has given me a 100% success rate.

Does getting in places become less of a thrill when you reach 18?

it becomes less of a worry of not getting in and you start to worry about how young you look in your passport as you get older

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

got refused into a pub once because i was "too drunk". i'd just finished work and was rushing to get ready. got a taxi and as i was paying driver outside the door, my open bag fell and i was left to pick up the contents in front of the bounchers.

i then walked up to the door, for the bouncers to take me by the arm and tell me to go home and sleep it off!!! i was shocked and asked them why, but they wouldnt even look at me, just pushed me away!! i hadnt drank, was on my own, and dressed like i do every night i go out, boots, jeans and top. it was a student night anyway so dresscode doesnt usually apply. college girls dont always get in places. bouncers are nearly more wary of students coz 99% of them will have already downed a bottle of wine before they go out!!!

what annoyed me the most was the fact that the bouncer wouldnt even answer me!! if he had of talked to me for one minute he would have seen that i was stone cold sober. what made it worse was that my mate came outside to me when i text her, threw up around the corner of the pub and then went back inside!!! tried tying up my hair and put on my jacket and went up to the door again and that still didnt work, they said i wud never get in again if i didnt f**k off.

charming!!

i have never been in a fight, i dress well and am always friendly to the bouncers and always have my I.D. ready. i will agree that bouncers have a very tough job and there are nice bouncers that remember me and my mates by our first names. but what i dont get is why the few assholes that give bouncers bad names by being on a power trip dont get their sorry ass fired!

pred racer wrote:
    As an aside does anyone think the new licencing system for individuals in this industrycoming in in April will make any difference.

I can see it making a bit of a difference, but generally the most important aspect of any door is the head doorman who will set the tone for the rest of the crew.

Some guys are very careful of who they hire, some guys are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Some good some bad, like anything. It aint as if we are short of places to drink in this country.. specially in Dublin.. just move along to the next drink hole. Personally, I've found I would get hassle from very few doormen, and would find most quiet polite, asking for ID etc.

I think that not accepting a driving licence as a from of identification is utterly stupid though, "It can be faked" is not a good enough anwser,I aint going to order a Garda age card, and wait _and_ pay for something that is going to be declinded in many places. My passport is in a safe place at home and is used for travelling to and from the country, not for getting a pint.

TK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,311 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The ID situation is a general failure by the DMV and the Gardai to establish proper counterfeit prevention: but it is quickly reaching the point where these forms of ID are not going to be readily accepted; maybe they should get thinking about it? If they havent already that is..

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭OldBloke

I worked as a doorman for 18 months and I like to think I was as fair as possible. If people were polite I was polite. If they were abusive I was even more polite and I never once hit anyone. I did remove people forcibly when it was warranted and only on the say so of the owner.

And now a bouncer related story. I was in Galway going into a club with some friends and I was wearing Vans trainers. The dorman politely refused me and explained why. I said no problem thanks anyway and we walked off only to be called back. He said because we hadnt argued he would let us in but next time wear proper shoes.

They are not all bad.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement