Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers who cant Teach

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Having a crap teacher is certainly a disadvantage in school and can reflect badly on your results. But at the end of the day it's upto you to do the work and complaining about teachers does nothing!
    If they only show you the examples in the books, and due to the crapness of the tests you don't know if your going forwards or backwards... you won't know how far gone useless he is, untill you get a good teacher! We had him for 1st year, and I was put into honours for 2nd year, before going into ordinary (I asked: hadn't a clue, as I had done NONE of the stuff before). I regret not doing more grinds. The f**ker was a useless sandle wearing dope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I agree, If this was any other profession like Accounting etc, unsatisfactory practice means you would be out on your ass in no time, whereas the "protection" in Government/civil service jobs means that these fools can still warrant the title of a "Teacher" and practice in an unsatisfactory manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

A teacher in my school (I don't have her anymore thanks God) gave the class "lines" as if it were a theatre performance, for when the inspectors came in. They spent about a week "rehearsing" for when the inspectors came in.
    Some teachers are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Diarmsquid wrote:
    A teacher in my school (I don't have her anymore thanks God) gave the class "lines" as if it were a theatre performance, for when the inspectors came in. They spent about a week "rehearsing" for when the inspectors came in.

That is absolutely scandalous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    That is absolutely scandalous.

I would imagine it's also quite a while ago.

Under the modern 'inspection' process it could not happen. The team arrive in a school and stay for up to two weeks. They visit classes at random, study all policies,development plans etc., IEPs and associated paperwork, interview kids, parents, members of the BOM, teaching and ancillary staff.

It would be quite an achievement for something like what was described to slip through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

We've had inspectors before who came in on one day and there was none of that whole-school stuff... they were just inspecting one subject.
    And this was this year, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

For physics in 4th year there was no streams, had the WORST teacher of all time. He did the measurement of gravity by free fall with a piece of chalk, a metre stick and the stopwatch on a nokia 3310!! Absolutely ridiculous, luckely the classes were streamed according to the 4th year summer results and now I have the best teacher in the school. I had a terrible math teacher for the J.C iswell, at L.C we have one of the best in the country, so thank god for streaming classes!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

eZe^ wrote:
    For physics in 4th year there was no streams, had the WORST teacher of all time. He did the measurement of gravity by free fall with a piece of chalk, a metre stick and the stopwatch on a nokia 3310!! Absolutely ridiculous, luckely the classes were streamed according to the 4th year summer results and now I have the best teacher in the school. I had a terrible math teacher for the J.C iswell, at L.C we have one of the best in the country, so thank god for streaming classes!!! :D
    What is wrong with the way he did that experiment? He's teaching you a concept of physics, you're not in a second level Physics class to get accurate measurements of g, you're there to learn scientific and experimental principles.

And as for streaming classes, I don't like the idea. Class would be so boring with people all of my ability level, I like the mix of people in my classes. And those put into the lower ability classes suffer as they're surrounded by a load of low achievers like themselves, it's not a good vibe. Besides, the low achievers should logically have the best teachers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

English was also bad in first year as she gave us a novel to read, which we found out the next year was the wrong one. Wasted 2 months reading something irrelevant.

QUOTE]
    In most schools they do a different novel in first year, just for practice doing questions etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Diarmsquid wrote:
    Some teachers are a joke.

LOL, thats Gas:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

We have a new english teacher this year, and for the last 4 years we had a brilliant teacher. Luckily, we got through Macbeth and the whole OL course (Except Comparative) with the good teacher.

However, our new teacher is for the pits. She first quickly revised Macbeth for a week and a half at first, then went on to comprative to which the entire HL class kept getting confused, because we were with some OL students in our class and we kept thinking up wrong things.

Then, we did the HL poetry course. (OK, I'll give her credit for staying in after school with the HL crowd) but nonetheless, she couldn't make poetry more boring. I really understand only 3 poets out of 5 and feel that she's too far up her own a*^e o even understand our difficulty with her new teaching methods.

She should realise that we're going into a difficut year with a new teacher and try to help the HL crowd more than just thinking we know the entire course without trying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

lol! No-one has had seriously bad teachers like I have.

Teaching is the worst subject when it comes to praise or demotion. Who ever checks up on old teachers to see if their methods are correct? Who ever gives teacher a slap on the back and says keep it up? yeah, no-one.

I had a history teacher who brought in his collection of old books that were completely off course, and he use to spend the entire class running after students who robbed his books
    My business teacher brought in his phone bills to show us what phone bills looked like.
    My English teacher was out for most of the year.
    My Geography teacher retired 4/5 times and is still teaching. We spent more times up the mountains that in the classroom.
    Need I continue?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

madgal wrote:
    Need I continue?
    please do:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭jaydigity

Need to make my own contribution!
    My home.ec teacher (for jnr. cert,thankfully) was the absolute pits.
    She's approaching retirement age so's been in the school since it started.
    - one month before our junior cert she decided that we were going to clean the floor instead of the finish the course during our double class. We were al assigned 4 tiles which we scrubbed.What a profitable day!
    On a similar thread, she also pulled all the pans with burned on dirt out of the cupboard and told us to scrape off all the dirt before we could resume classs again (I can't even laugh about this one yet)

-She once told us to avert our gaze while she stuck a knife in a wall socket
    She doesn't wash her hands before cooking and used to leave us on our own during cooking classes, sometimes up to half an hour

-She told me not to start my cross-stitich project until she showed me how to do something or other. 5 days before deadline decides to show me some absolutely useless stitiches. I had to learn how to do it from the net, spent about 10hours trying to finish it

-This year she accidently lost half the sixth years home.ec journals (For the uninitiated this is like throwing out around 20% of your marks)

Arrrrgh!!:mad: rant over (for now anyway!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

jaydigity wrote:
    -This year she accidently lost half the sixth years home.ec journals (For the uninitiated this is like throwing out around 20% of your marks) (for now anyway!)

Good Lord... She is lucky she's not my teacher..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

jaydigity wrote:
    - one month before our junior cert she decided that we were going to clean the floor instead of the finish the course during our double class. We were al assigned 4 tiles which we scrubbed.What a profitable day!
    Well perhaps she thought your time would be better spent practicing for the practical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

My Biology teacher is a hypochondriac - spends half the year out sick and the rest complaining to us, LC class, about her symptoms.
    Seems like she can't read cause she never says whats in the book, and spends the classes telling us stories relating to what we're doing instead of actually teaching it to us.
    When we were doing DNA and paternity testing, she couldn't understand the sentence, "If some of the lines on the child's profile match the mother's, but the rest don't match the father's, this is not the father of the child," and tried to explain it to us her own way.
    She explained photosynthesis to us by saying, "Imagine you're in Penneys and you see something you want, then you steal it really quickly. This is similar to the process of photosynthesis - a phosphorus (or something) is stolen." When we finished the photosynthesis section, after three weeks, she asked us if we understood. When there was a resounding, "no," she said, "oh well, we have to move on anyway. Too bad."
    Our class is so poor that she had to tell us what was going to be on the Pre so we'd pass. When we studied, it was like reading it for the first time, and half of what she told us didn't come up.
    If any of us pass that exam, it'll be miraculous.

Advertisement