Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking back at WCW's madness

• 18-02-2007 1:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

I found a hilarious thread on another forum which you can check out here where a guy has posted quotes from past issues of the Wrestling Observer from WCW's dark days.

It's really funny to see just how screwed up things were and you get the sense that Dave Meltzer is going out of his mind having to report on it all. Here's a selection of some of my favourite quotes:
    "Nobody has any idea why they brought a live tiger from the zoo to accompany Steiner to the ring on Nitro. Backstage, when he was trying to get a photo with the tiger, the tiger nearly took a chuck out of Rey Mysterio's eye" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: October 10, 2000.
    "WCW.com ran a contest involving Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair. I'm actually not sure what the contest was for. Anyway, we got numerous reports from people who said that if you vote for Flair, the total number for Hogan automatically increases by five." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: Februaru 28, 1999.
    "Kevin Nash missed the weekend house shows where he was scheduled to headline against Vicious claiming a concussion suffered allegedly when he was hit with the rubber crowbar by Arn Anderson" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 17, 2000
    "The only ratings question of the week was whether or not WCW Nitro would beat the Westminster Dog Show on the USA Network on 2/14. The answer was no" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 21, 2000.
    "During the commerical, they soaked the ropes with gasoline. Sting came out, then Vampiro came out and called him Steve, and said they would have an inferno match on the PPV. Sting said that's nuts and he isn't going to do it. At this point the ropes were supposed to set on fire but they didn't. The fans started laughing and booing," - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 22, 2000
    "Tank Abbot has been asked by management to take singing lessons" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: September 11, 2000
    "The 12/18 Nitro was supposed to practically be built around Rick Steiner as the surprise guy, but he wasn't there because they forgot to tell him" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 01, 2001
    "The main event on the show, believe it or not, was Flair kissing a donkey" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 26, 2001
    "In a spot that aired twice on the show, they aired a promo for Nitro that had never aired before, (featuring) Sean Waltman who hasn't been with the company for a year" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 22, 1999
    "They showed Hogan going in for knee surgery. Hogan was walking into the hospital, not selling it" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: May 03, 1999
    "Scott Hall had a mishap wrecking a rented Cadillac in Orange County, Florida. He fell asleep at the wheel. The car rolled over three times. They took a breathalyzer and he wasn't even intoxicated." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 7, 1998
    "On the Time Magazine internet balloting for Man of the Century, Ric Flair is now in third place trailing Jesus and Adolf Hitler. Raven is in ninth place" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: November 11, 1998
    "The show ended with Sting vs. Hart. The entire match took place backstage which infuriated the crowd as they didn't have any bigscreens in the building" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: October 12, 1998
    "A popular Cincinnati radio station ran a contest where the 13th caller would win free tickets to Thunder. There was no winner, as the station didn't receive 13 calls" - Wrestling Observer Live (Bad News Allan episode)
    "Warrior got lost in mid thought and walked around silently for nearly one minute of dead time, and then said something about patience being a virtue" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 31, 1998
    "Giant came out. Nash escaped doing a cannonball into the pool" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 23, 1998
    "Luger looks like a Greek statue, except a Greek statue has more wrestling moves" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 23, 1998
    "With the match at its most pathetic, Tony Schiavone screamed about how this was Hogan at his best" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 02, 1998
    "The NWO came out with Savage, still unconscious from the beating three hours earlier, on their shoulders with a Sting mask on" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: March 02, 1998
    "Nash actually tried a pescado, but his legs caught the top rope going over" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: February 02, 1998
    "One of the reasons Sting-Hogan didn't get a lot of heat at Starrcade was because there was a rumor going around the building that it wasn't the real Sting" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 19, 1998
    "(Sting vs. Hulk Hogan) saw boring chants two minutes in" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997
    "Scott Hall came out and did the survey and then said that Kevin Nash wouldn't be there. Hall gave no explanation at all. Earlier in the show the announcers said that Nash wouldn't be on the show, but also gave no explanation. For whatever reason, Giant came out and looked like he hadn't slept in a week" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 29, 1997
    "Nash sold very little considering it was a 16-on-1 beating" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: June 28, 1999
    "Buff has got to be the geekiest babyface in the business. He was kissing up to the crowd unmercifully. At the end, Buff told them to hit his music, and they didn't" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: July 12, 1999
    "When Bischoff goes heel as company President, he's going to have a black woman bodybuilder and two midgets as part of his entourage" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 6, 1999
    "In the United Kingdom, they are now airing Thunder right after Nitro on Friday Nights. It's about a four-and-a-half hour nightly block of WCW which is said at this point to be pure torture" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: October 05, 1998
    "One of Ultimo Dragon's students from Naucalpan was brought in for a tryout. He was given the name 'Tam Pong' in someone's idea of a practical joke" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: October 12, 1998

The thread contains close to 500 of these quotes and it's just pure comedy gold if you're a wrestling fan. I've spent the last thirty or so minutes just laughing my arse off at it all. It's well worth checking out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Haha, I remember reading those ages ago, probably when the thread was first posted. I forget most of them now, it's gas stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

haha ive read a few of those before but the rest are just a small example of the utter madness tat was unfolding at WCW.
    Im going to check out that forum now and have a good long read through all of them....comedy stuff:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The two about Times Man of the Millenium web poll are priceless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Aha some of those quotes are hilarious! Loved the Rick Steiner surprise guy one where they forgot to tell him and he wasn't there! :D:D

I still have a big soft spot for the comical disaster that was Russo and WCW in it's last couple of years, it was so bad that it was so good! :)

Russo was in charge from late 1999, sometimes you'd be led to believe that WCW's bad programming was all his fault, but clearly not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I never watched WCW back in the day a) because I was WWE through and through an b) because I didn't have the right channel. I always sorta regreted it, but after reading some of those quotes, i'm glad I didn't!

Off-topic: WWE need to release some WCW DVDs like the AWA one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Good find, Mr.Nice Guy. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Minto wrote:

Off-topic: WWE need to release some WCW DVDs like the AWA one.

They have a horseman dvd coming out this year and they had the monday night war dvd which could have been a bit better.

They have a horseman dvd coming out this year

thank god for that...its about time aswell
    Do you know when during the year it is supposed to get released?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

http://www.wwe.com/shop/dvd/upcomingdvds -list of all upcoming WWE dvds

The horseman dvd is released in the US in mid April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I remember some of those things happening, like the buff incident with the music and the storyline with tank abbot as a fan of 3 count.
    Dark days indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

"It wasn't Bret Hart driving the monster truck nor was Sid in the car that was being run over, although both were the original plan. Hart was told what part of the car to drive over and where Sid would be in the car so as to not drive over him. Hart refused saying he wasn't an experienced stunt driver. There was no problem with his decision and he was apologized to for being asked" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: January 10, 2000.

HA HA!!! Best one!! :D

EDIT: These are f*ckin hilarious!! Look at this one!!

"Lash Leroux wrestled Prince Iaukea for 50 seconds. Those 50 seconds were enough for 1.2 million households to switch over (to Raw)" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: August 02, 1999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Real831

:P lol this is classic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

"The Giant was accused by a hotel clerk of coming up to her and saying 'Do you know why they call me The Giant?' and she responded 'Because you're so tall' and he responded by allegedly whipping it out and rubbing it on her. Because of The Giant's size, the police were scared to death and sent 24 officers to the Mid South Coliseum to pick him up" - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 14, 1998

i remember this thread being posted earlier on this year..........I hadnt laughed so much in a long time until I read some of the quotes.I spent the best part of an hour on the thread on the other site cracking up at some of comedy at the expense of WCW

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

At the end of the thread somebody claims they are going to do their own thread with quotes from the Torch. Did this happen?

At the end of the thread somebody claims they are going to do their own thread with quotes from the Torch. Did this happen?

A search of the forum would suggest not

Advertisement