Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless for desktop

• 18-02-2007 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

I have a desktop which I would like to get connected to my wireless network at home. It does not have a wireless card (internal) so i would like to know the best option for connecting it to the internet through wireless.

I have been looking at usb wireless antennas but it seems they are all for laptop only. My other desktop has a wireless card which works fine but I was thinking a USB wireless antenna could be handy for disconnecting, changing to different computer etc.

Is there any disadvantage in getting a laptop USB wireless antenna for my desktop or are they laptop specific only? Is there any advantage an internal wireless card has over a USB antenna?

Thanks

Peter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

i would think that the internal card would be stronger at sending, receiving info. But aside from that the onternal card has an adjustable antenna which is far better then not having one, because sometimes the difference between getting a sinal and not getting one, is simply moving the antenna a few cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

i would think that the internal card would be stronger at sending, receiving info. But aside from that the onternal card has an adjustable antenna which is far better then not having one, because sometimes the difference between getting a sinal and not getting one, is simply moving the antenna a few cm.

I have had problems with my wireless network in my house. I think the broadcast distance of my router is very poor so I am thinking of upgrading or looking for another solution. It is a router I recieved free with BT broadband, Zyxel (I think).

If a USB antenna is just as fast I may well go for that. I am surprised that the antenna is not as strong as a internal wireless card as it is not hidden in behind the machine and is bigger in size.
    Could someone help shed some light on this?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Peter B wrote:
    I have had problems with my wireless network in my house. I think the broadcast distance of my router is very poor so I am thinking of upgrading or looking for another solution. It is a router I recieved free with BT broadband, Zyxel (I think).

If a USB antenna is just as fast I may well go for that. I am surprised that the antenna is not as strong as a internal wireless card as it is not hidden in behind the machine and is bigger in size.
    Could someone help shed some light on this?

Thanks
    I have used Zyxel and I could easily receive it two doors down and across the street in my neighbor’s house. Most of the problems I have seen are the receiving end not setup correctly with wireless cards drivers.

Is the wireless card is on a laptop or desktop? I have notice that laptops are worst than desktop wireless cards on signal strength at the same distance.
    1/. Is it the signal strength weak?

2/. If the signal strength is strong, then you could have conflict with another wireless network with the same channel and SSID (Network name). I have seen this happen with my neighbors.

Use netstumbler (Free to download) to search around for other networks of the same name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Peter B wrote:

Is there any disadvantage in getting a laptop USB wireless antenna for my desktop or are they laptop specific only? Is there any advantage an internal wireless card has over a USB antenna?

Thanks

Peter
    No, it should work the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Anyone know of any decent USB wireless antenna?

Anyone have one which they would recommend or know where is a good place to get one?

Thanks for the info!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

What router do you have , are the Antenna /s removable , if so can Recommend a Dlink booster antenna , that way your choices of card for the desktop are wider

Advertisement