Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fixing Solar panels ON roof, not in???

• 18-02-2007 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Please can anyone tell me how solar panels are fixed onto a slated roof. Instructions I have received so far only tell me how to fix it in the roof with flashing kit.

I think rooferpete had thoughts on this on another thread, but did not go on to say HOW it could be done on the roof, without risking leaks etc.

We have roof-vents for the pipes to go through the roof, it is how the solar panels are affixed that I need help with.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

Hi,

I don't know what type of solarpanels you have, but you need a frame anyway. Then you need metal strips. You attach the metal strip on to the frame, then slide it under the slate and bend it over the timber where the slates are fixed to and fix it to the timber. It's a safe and easy option.I got this tip from Quentin from Ecologics.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭boarduser01

I have got some instructions from the solar panel company, which suggest that these straps have to be screwed on from above, through the slate - would this be correct. Is there no fear of leaks from the holes? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

It's not a stupid question. There are suppliers who say that you have to drill through your slate but that weakens the slate, is prone to leaking and it's a draft hole. I know that there are special slates if you can't go under the slate.

You could send and email to Rooferpete. I know he's more in favour of solarpanels in the roof but that's more for aesthetic reasons. He can give you more advise then I can. Go to www.ecostoves.ie. That's Rooferpete.
    Good luck

Advertisement