Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb knocking on my door

Options
  • 18-02-2007 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

I live in Tallaght and am a VERY satisfied Irish Broadband customer. Never, ever had am issue with service and am now on 3meg up and down for 48.40 per month which is unlimited. As for throttleing torrents, I pulled down 1.2 gig in 4 hours overnight last night.

This week, digiweb knocked on my door offering a connection to their new wireless base station which is next to the IBB basestation. (If I was any nearer to them I could throw a rope around them.) 35 euro for 3 meg down and 512k up. 30 gig download allowance which seemed bad but as the rep explained, you would need to pull down a movie every day for a month to breach it. Kinda changes my view of it. They also offer an add on phone service for 15 euro which is VOIP through the modem, free for irish landlines calls but chargeable for the rest. Change of phone number required unless I pay 50 euro to "buy" the number from eircom.

There is an installation fee but it is waived if you take out a 12 month contract.

So now my questions....

Has anyone any experience of this crowd?

I am completely happy with IBB so I dont want to move for a cheaper inferior service. I am being stupid?

Has anyone any input on this?

Thanks all

Jeff

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

its as good (technically) as IBB is for you . If you pull in "1.4gb in 4 hours" 20 times a month its not for you though , they will throttle you to 64k or 128k once you bust your cap until it rolls back below 30gb in 30 days , that could take a day or 3 and then you have to chill a while before you can bate the torrents again.

the uplink is 512k not 3mb by the way

on the OTHER hand its also a phone line , you may plug a phone into the digiweb box, line rental alone costs €24.20 a month with a rumoured increase to €28 a month in the pipeline.

basically , unlike most people, you have a CHOICE of 2 high quality wireless services at a very decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Don't tempt faith tbh you say yourself that you are a satisfied customer so why change for a saving of a few euro? Also the decrease to 512 would more then likely harm your torrent speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

30 gig download allowance which seemed bad but as the rep explained, you would need to pull down a movie every day for a month to breach it. Kinda changes my view of it.

I'm on Digiweb's DSL service so I don't know if their wireless T&Cs will be different but I doubt it. The argument the sales rep gave you would work if Digiweb's cap was absolute (renewing every 1st of the month) but it isn't, it's a rolling cap, which means it works on a constant cycle. If for example, you get to the end of the month with 30GB and you download another 1.5 in the first couple of days of the first month, you'll be over your cap.

That said, all Digiweb ever seems to do in this case is send you a mail that you're over it and your speed is being throttled (which even when they said they did, I never noticed).

The rolling cap is not actually a bad thing in certain cases but it does depend on how you use your BB - my point is, don't necessarily trust sales reps... And as others said, if you already well happy with what you've got, is it worth the changeover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

If it ain't broken don't fix it.. simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Sponge Bob wrote:
    on the OTHER hand its also a phone line , you may plug a phone into the digiweb box, line rental alone costs €24.20 a month with a rumoured increase to €28 a month in the pipeline.

AIUI, it's more than a rumour, it's going to happen.
    Maybe not €28 exactly, but as near as dammit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

As said before ... if it aint broke don't fix it
    They also offer an add on phone service for 15 euro which is VOIP through the modem, free for irish landlines calls but chargeable for the rest

if you are looking for a VoIP solution shop around as there are plenty of other suppliers (including IBB) also you can get cheaper than that digiweb offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not the same quality of VOIP though. Only NTL on NTL cable can give similar quality. Nothing else to buy either, the modem has two phone sockest. 3rd party VOIP works badly in comparison and need you to buy the box to interface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

i am on the three rock mast and i can assure you that i cannot achieve 3mb down after 8am in the morning. the latency is so bad that voip is poor and their phone line is becoming unusable. you may be lucky though since the tallaght mast is new and probably not as overcrowded as three rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Thanks for the answers folks. I knew about all of the points mentioned except for the ROLLING caps. I only download a movie every few weeks.
    I only did it last night as I got free flights to Krakow and thats where Auschwitz is - the movie was Schindlers List.The rep told me if I did hit my d/l limit they will reduce me to 128k or offer me another 10 gig for 5.99 euro.

I am paying 29.99 to perlico for line rental and all irish calls and then Irish Broadband 48.40 = 78.39

I could have the same from digiweb for 50 euro, tempting, but the question mark is still there about reliability. IF IT AINT BROKE, DONT FIX IT is a great saying.

I think I will stay put....

Thanks again.

superscouse

sixtysix wrote:
    i am on the three rock mast and i can assure you that i cannot achieve 3mb down after 8am in the morning. the latency is so bad that voip is poor and their phone line is becoming unusable. you may be lucky though since the tallaght mast is new and probably not as overcrowded as three rock.
    No-where else sees the issues at Three rock. Unfortunately it is a special case.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you will deffo make a saving of about €30 a month with Digiweb OP and will not have to buy an €80 ATA like you would to use voip off IBB.

If you only download a movie every few weeks the cap is not an issue and as for interference , nahhh, you are beside the mast .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭vsat

Three rock issue being sorted;) ;)

tell us more

If he did, someone would tie a Disqec motor to each ankle and throw him into Dublin Bay. :)

I'd suspect he's right as the "noise level" of complaints from that area on the boards here has dropped.

had a reasonable download of 2500 at 1.00pm today-i was quite impressed until i realized the latency was 215 the phone at that level cannot be used. why are they still advertising a phone service?

Because for everywhere else it works better than all the other VOIP services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Shardx

Hi all,

I am a Digiweb customer and I was fairly satisfied with the service until 4 weeks ago. As previously posted on this forum I was on the 3mb metro package and it became pretty dire to use. I used to always get a download speed of 2.70mb-2.90mb on the Blackknight and Digiwebs own speed test site, even during peak hours. Then 4 weeks ago it started to go bad giving me fluctuating downloads of 800kb-1.10mb during peak and off peak hours. The support guy said that there was noting wrong with the signal and that basically there was nothing I could do to fix it except go to the 5mb metro plus package which had less contention (20/1). So I did and know I am getting down load speeds of ....wait for it.... 800kb-2.00mb during peak hours and off peak. I was pretty miffed at this as the speed fluctates so badly that online gaming is a no go for me now. I got onto there customer services manager about the speeds and he got back to me saying the the problem would be resolved over the Thursday and Friday just gone. But guess what... the problem is still there. :rolleyes: I dont use there phone service so I cant say if it is any good. Sorry for the rant but at the moment I wouldn't recommend Digiweb and this is the short version of my current problem with them. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Shardx wrote:
    Hi all,

I am a Digiweb customer and I was fairly satisfied with the service until 4 weeks ago. As previously posted on this forum I was on the 3mb metro package and it became pretty dire to use. I used to always get a download speed of 2.70mb-2.90mb on the Blackknight and Digiwebs own speed test site, even during peak hours. Then 4 weeks ago it started to go bad giving me fluctuating downloads of 800kb-1.10mb during peak and off peak hours. The support guy said that there was noting wrong with the signal and that basically there was nothing I could do to fix it except go to the 5mb metro plus package which had less contention (20/1). So I did and know I am getting down load speeds of ....wait for it.... 800kb-2.00mb during peak hours and off peak. I was pretty miffed at this as the speed fluctates so badly that online gaming is a no go for me now. I got onto there customer services manager about the speeds and he got back to me saying the the problem would be resolved over the Thursday and Friday just gone. But guess what... the problem is still there. :rolleyes: I dont use there phone service so I cant say if it is any good. Sorry for the rant but at the moment I wouldn't recommend Digiweb and this is the short version of my current problem with them. :mad:

They always say they are doing something to fix it. It usually takes about 3-4 months and then it goes bad again in a week.
    I was about to go to the 5mb package here to try and fix the speeds, but it seems that makes little difference.

As a side note, I had a mate in the netherlands do a few tests to me and he believes that the problem is the point where digiwebs network meets the rest of the world, which he thinks is overloaded, so I dont think having less of a contention ratio or a higher download speed would make a difference if it all goes out the same way.

However Shardx, you can get full speeds at 4 in the morning, so if you need to do anything important you can always wait until then ;)

I wish I could get decent speeds at 4 in the morning. One of the speed tests I did on the 5mb package was at 5.00am and I was getting a download speed of between 800kb-1.30mb. It must have been the other 19 users all on at the same time. :rolleyes: I will be phoning again today. Let you know how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Shardx wrote:
    I wish I could get decent speeds at 4 in the morning. One of the speed tests I did on the 5mb package was at 5.00am and I was getting a download speed of between 800kb-1.30mb. It must have been the other 19 users all on at the same time. :rolleyes: I will be phoning again today. Let you know how that goes.

Ok, bear in mind that might be a different problem then, I get my full 3mb during the early hours if I am up. Which is pretty rare, only on weekends mainly, I like my sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Shardx wrote:

What mast are you on?

Ok have spoken to there customer serices manager and he said that they are upgrading the network and a new mast is/has been set up in Tallaght and I should see improvements in 2 weeks time. If not contact him again. I guess I will just have to wait it out and see what happens. Oh and he did say that the problem was being caused by people been shunted around on to other transmitors while the work was going on, causing high contention. I don't know if any of this is true but, hey, I am no expert and I just have to believe what I am told as I can't really prove otherwise. :)

@Blaster99. I was told I am on a Tallaght mast where exactly I don't know. Last year I had been on the three rock mast but I had similar problems so an engineer came out and moved me onto the Tallaght mast...so he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 5ftGiant

3 rock issues have most certainly NOT been fixed!!! Stay the hell away from Dodgiweb for now, its is not worth losing your hair over. Im cancelling my metro connection this week and getting in IBB. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take my advice, stay AWAY! !!!!!!!

Tell Dodgiweb to keep on knocking on doors elsewhere............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

5ftGiant wrote:
    3 rock issues have most certainly NOT been fixed!!! Stay the hell away from Dodgiweb for now, its is not worth losing your hair over. Im cancelling my metro connection this week and getting in IBB. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take my advice, stay AWAY! !!!!!!!

Tell Dodgiweb to keep on knocking on doors elsewhere............

... To put this a little more plainly:

Digiweb's service in Dublin on the three rock mast is nothing short of a joke. As they advertise speeds "up to" a specific figure, they're covered, and as they don't actually say "low latency is guaranteed" then they're covered aswell.

I don't know exactly why the mast is so bad but I presume it has to do with the volume of users. All I do know is that if you're in Dublin, only sign up to Digiweb Metro if you can get adequate line of sight to a different mast.
    If you're told that you can only see three rock, then tell them thank you very much, but you're not interested.

I'm an unhappy customer, and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm not touching IBB with a bargepole, there's no phone line in the house I'm in at the moment, and I'm not one of the lucky 12 people in the city that can get NTL (over-exaggeration)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Zoro,
    you will be pleased to know that Digiweb have won a broadband licence in Norway.! whether we should sympatise with the norwegians though is a moot point. Last night i had a ping of 229.
    that said in the last few days the download speeds seem to have improved.

This from a number of news sources
    Details of the technology being used and it’s capabilities will be unveiled when the first phase of the network is launched in Ireland shortly. The technology is capable of providing 100% geographic broadband coverage in Ireland with the added benefits of low latency, always on, truly mobile connectivity, something which no other technology can claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I really couldn't care less about them winning a licence in Norway. I'm in Dublin :):p

And as for "truly mobile" - how is having an antenna drilled to your chimney "truly mobile"? :)

It's not Metro. The Irish version and licence was announced last year and as the news item point out hasn't launched here yet.

Three Rock does seem to have some unique issues. My ping in Limerick is often as low as 18ms and average is about 21ms.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

download speed of 2997 this morning-absoluteley perfect-ping though is 100

229 --> 100 ping! if it halves twice again in the next two weeks, you'll be delirious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement