Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

waterbabies

Options
  • 18-02-2007 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

i've heard it said that babies can instinctivly swim, they do tend to do the motions! not sure id trust this though. what age do peple normally bring their babies and does anyone have any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You should wait until your infant has had thier first round of immunisations,
    check with your healt nurse about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Thaedydal wrote:
    You should wait until your infant has had thier first round of immunisations,
    check with your healt nurse about this.

agreed. once our lil one got her first shots we took her off to the pool. We didn't try that 'leave them swim' thing..but she loved it overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

My four month old loves the pool - gelps that it very warm and the changing rooms hot too. But not sure that she'd swim on her own - too much of a scaredy cat top let her go toi see :D. I know in Austrailia they train wee babies by dunking them under and teach them to turn on their back and head for wall of pool - not for me I'm afraid, although both my older kids could swim confidently by age 3 or 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

im bringing him at 11 to get his first immunisations and i'll ask then too, it's a bad time of year too. i'd be scared to ket him try swim too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ItsMoi

The younger the better (once they've had their immunisations). Kids can learn to swim while really young. Unfortunately a lot of pools won't accept them for swimming lessons until they are around four or five - mainly I think because a lot of the shallow ends in pools are quite 'deep' for young kids and they can't stand with their heads above water. If you can find a pool with a quite shallow, shallow end (if you know what I mean), it is easier to start the kids on lessons younger. For example Westood in leopardstown has quite a shallow section and it certainly helped my son to get to grips to swimming without armbands at a young age.

• Advertisement

what age did your son learn Itsmoi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Babies can swim instinctively and will do so when you let them go. They'll happily use their arms and legs and swim about under water with their eyes open. Any water that goes into their mouth is instinctively swallowed (they won't drown). They do need help to regain the surface though. Wear goggles yourself and watch the little one under the water. You'll soon relax and know when she needs to come up again. Brought our little one swimming at two months. She loved it and absolutely loves water since. She'll wade off into the sea whenever she's given the chance (yes even on a cold Irish beach! :D ), absolutely no fear of water. She also loves the shower and has been having a shower (rather than a bath) since before she was two. Don't know too many other toddlers as happy to have a shower! :D

dame did you actually let your baby go in a pool and he swam on his own?? just wanna make sure so i dont drown mine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ItsMoi

He was out of armbands by 3.5 yrs - he's six now and swims like a fish! If he hadn't been able to stand in the shallow end I'm not sure he would have learnt so quick. He used to love diving for objects and was quite happy as he could easily stand up.

dame did you actually let your baby go in a pool and he swam on his own?? just wanna make sure so i dont drown mine!

Yes, but don't be expecting them to swim like an adult. The baby will do a sort of a doggy paddle, totally submerged under the water and it's hard to let them go and trust that they can do it. Don't let the baby go if you don't feel comfortable though. You'll still have lots of fun holding them and swishing them about. You can always try letting them swim another time when you feel more comfortable with the situation. I didn't let go of her completely until we'd been a couple of times.

Keep your arms near the baby to be ready when they need to come back up and wear goggles so that you can see them properly under the water. Bring someone else with you if you can. They can help with the baby and take a few pictures with underwater disposable camera (if you're allowed bring it into the pool). :D

There's a really nice sequence of young babies swimming (using the swimming reflex) in Episode Three - First Steps of the BBC series "The Human Body The Incredible Journey From Birth To Death", presented by Robert Winston. It's an excellent series. We got it on DVD before Christmas in a regular DVD/music shop, but it's like the kind of thing you might find in a public library maybe? (not sure about that though). It cost about E45 I think.

Like other's said earlier, best to wait until the baby has been given his/her shots. In hindsight we probably brought our little one a bit early. I think it would probably be a good idea to make sure the baby can hold their own head fairly well before bringing them. I can't remember now if our daughter could when we brought her first.

There can be a draft in the changing rooms in our local pool so I always changed myself first going into the pool and her first when we got out. The carry-seat for the car is handy to put the baby in and keep them safe while you change yourself.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I couldn't be bothered bringing my son to a pool but I'll certainly bring him to the beach next summer. Should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

OK took 20 week old for her 3rd swim today and seeing that she was so comfortable with all the splashing and noise etc - decided to see how she'd handle being underwater - OMG - it was amazing - she was happy as larry, eyes wide ope andsplashing all around. Didn't let go of her, but she was so comfortable - not like me initially I'd my heart in my mouth

ArthurDent wrote:
    OK took 20 week old for her 3rd swim today and seeing that she was so comfortable with all the splashing and noise etc - decided to see how she'd handle being underwater - OMG - it was amazing - she was happy as larry, eyes wide ope andsplashing all around. Didn't let go of her, but she was so comfortable - not like me initially I'd my heart in my mouth

I hope it's the start of many happy times for you both!

Forgot to say in my last post that it's possible to get reusable swimming nappies. Those Huggies Swim Pants will get expensive if you're going to the pool regularly! When our daughter was about six months I found a reusable swimming nappy in a big sports shop. Can't remember what brand it was but it was probably Speedo or something like that and cost about 12/15 euro. It consisted of two layers of thick man-made material with a plastic layer in between. It was nrightly coloured and had long sides that closed at the front with a tie. It was easy to use because it could be changed just like a normal nappy afterwards and thrown in the wash. We let her swim in that on it's own for many many months. It fitted for ages, great investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,713 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Are people like 'Dame' actually serious that a newborn baby can swim under water, swallowing and breathing I'm assuming and survive. So when does this eventually lead to drowning. I was under the impression that if humans inhale water or breathe water through their noses, the will drown, with enough water obviously. This does not apply to newborn babies or 1 hour old babies or 1 day old babies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭desiredbard

i've heard it said that babies can instinctivly swim, they do tend to do the motions! not sure id trust this though. what age do peple normally bring their babies and does anyone have any tips?
    Imunizations is a load of crap and yes its true

Being dutch every child learns to swim from a young age..there is to much water around.

Baby's can swim but keeping their nose or mouth above water is another problem. Humans are actually the only "animal" that forgets to swim as far as i know....

Th younger you start with swimming the easier they will learn and the sfaer they will be

walshb wrote:
    Are people like 'Dame' actually serious that a newborn baby can swim under water, swallowing and breathing I'm assuming and survive. So when does this eventually lead to drowning. I was under the impression that if humans inhale water or breathe water through their noses, the will drown, with enough water obviously. This does not apply to newborn babies or 1 hour old babies or 1 day old babies?

Walshb, go back to primary school and practice your reading comprehension.

If you read the posts properly you'd know that babies don't breathe underwater, they automatically divert the water down their oesophagus instead and swallow it. Swallowing is different to inhaling. This is elementary knowledge.

You'd also know that they require adult help to get back up to the surface to take their next breath. There have also been plenty of mentions of the child being old enough to have received their vaccinations before being brought to a swimming pool and waiting until the parent feels comfortable enough about the situation (and child's ability to support his/her own head) to release them but staying right by them ready to help them back up again.

Idiots/Walshb guide;
    (1) Vaccinations,
    (2) Baby able to hold his/her own head,
    (3) Bring baby to pool a few times (familiarization for parent and baby, if you will),
    (5) Wear goggles (so you can see the baby clearly underwater),
    (4) Release baby gently, when parent feels comfortable they are in control and can raise baby up above the surface the second they deem it necessary,
    (5) Observe baby swim in a doggy-paddle fashion (for a very short time period),
    (6) Lift baby up above surface in time to take next breath.

This is my experience. If you do not feel comfortable bringing your child swimming then don't. If in doubt about whether your child is too young to bring to a public swimming pool, then ask a health professional.
    walshb wrote:
    I was under the impression that if humans inhale water or breathe water through their noses, the will drown, with enough water obviously.

Walshb it is possible for a newborn (or any) baby or young child to drown in an inch of water or even less. That is the reason we never leave them unattended near water of any sort. The depth of your misunderstanding amazes me.

Relax there Dame. Did I hit a nerve. So I assume you have actual medical scientific evidence that babies whether they are 1 minute old or 1 hour old can swim in water, can keep their heads above the water and will definitely not inhale water. Did you do this as a baby. What was it like?. Can you remember. I THINK YOU ARE READING TOO MANY SCI FI NOVELS MATE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Keep it civil you lot.

I am. I think Dame got a little irritated because someone questioned his swimming theory. I'll give it to him/her that a newborn baby say an hour old who is submerged in water may instinctively hold their breath, but what happens when they breathe in. They do not have the strength to hold their heads above water, hence they will breathe in water resulting in death.
    Anyway, what mother or father would allow their newborn baby as a a test to this swimming theory. Are ther any actual cases, other than what is written in medical jounals or what's on the internet. Have we any videos or real footage of a newborn baby swimming under water unattended

walshb wrote:
    I am. I think Dame got a little irritated because someone questioned his swimming theory. I'll give it to him/her that a newborn baby say an hour old who is submerged in water may instinctively hold their breath, but what happens when they breathe in. They do not have the strength to hold their heads above water, hence they will breathe in water resulting in death.
    Anyway, what mother or father would allow their newborn baby as a a test to this swimming theory. Are ther any actual cases, other than what is written in medical jounals or what's on the internet. Have we any videos or real footage of a newborn baby swimming under water unattended

1. Where did I say newborn baby? I actually said that I brought my own daughter swimming at two months old but didn't let go of her until we'd been to the pool on a few occasions.

2. Babies need help to get back to the surface in order to breathe. How many times does that have to be reiterated before you understand it?
    The same point made by someone else who has seen it firsthand;
    Baby's can swim but keeping their nose or mouth above water is another problem.

Here's a little something I posted earlier;
    Dame wrote:
    There's a really nice sequence of young babies swimming (using the swimming reflex) in Episode Three - First Steps of the BBC series "The Human Body The Incredible Journey From Birth To Death", presented by Robert Winston.
    It's an award-winning documentary series (from 2001) presented by a medical man, Prof. Robert Winston. Here's a link;
    http://www.robertwinston.co.uk
    I take it you'd be more prepared to believe his word than mine?
    By the way he also points out that all babies need help to regain the surface. I'll put that more simply; you have to help them get back up to the surface so they can breathe.

If you were interested enough/worried enough about any comments/views/opinions, you'd actually look up information and facts for yourself and try to understand them and see where they are coming from.

A very quick google search came up with the following;
    http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/development/swimmingexpert/
    and a particularly interesting link;
    http://www.babyworld.co.uk/information/baby/swimming/swimming_lessons.asp
    from which I have copied the following extract;
    "Is underwater swimming safe?
    Absolutely. When a baby goes underwater their 'diving reflex' kicks in. The same sort of thing happens as when you swallow - the epiglottis closes over and blocks the throat so no water can get through. That's why you often see picture of babies swimming underwater with their mouths open! This reflex lasts up until 18 months of age so, from around 16 months onwards, we teach toddlers and older children how to swim in a different way to babies."

If you hit the images button when you google you can find all sorts of things;
    http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.californiasciencecenter.org/GenInfo/MediaRoom/PressReleases/HumanBody/images/WaterBaby2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.californiasciencecenter.org/GenInfo/MediaRoom/PressReleases/HumanBody/HumanBody.php&h=175&w=175&sz=8&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=CSkDD7-gcGvG7M:&tbnh=100&tbnw=100&prev=/images%3Fq%3DDiving%2BReflex%2BBaby%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN
    (Baby exhibiting Diving Reflex)
    http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1550000/images/_1551043_baby300.jpg&imgrefurl=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1551043.stm&h=180&w=300&sz=10&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=yvFVislebbc4kM:&tbnh=70&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3DDiving%2BReflex%2BBaby%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN
    (Baby swimming underwater with mother/adult woman, taken from BBC Series The Human Body, previously referred to)
    The OP wanted to know at what age other's brought their babies to the pool and any suggestions they had. That's what has been given. Nobody is suggesting drowning any babies.

walshb if you have any more comments I suggest you do some reading and research for yourself before posting ill-informed attacks on other's posts.

• Advertisement

In "Birth: A History" by Tina Cassidy there is a story about a Soviet researcher and swimming coach who put his newborn baby daughter in a tank of water (with her head above water) and kept her there until she was almost two. He put her in a biggger tank with more water as she grew. He said that when she was hungry she'd dive down to the bottom for a bottle ket there and he only took her out when there were visitors coming who he thought would be shocked.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/history/article1382596.ece
    The book was reviewed on Sunday last week but the online version of the story doesn't contain the full review (which is where I remember reading the story). Of course I can't find the Culture section of last weeks Sunday Times now though, thrown out.

Dame, again-take a deep breath (not under water) and relax.
    It's not the end of the world when someone doesn't quite believe everything you or the so caled experts say. I have read all the stuff on the internet by various experts and medical opinion and I have read about the 'mamamillian dive reflex', I think that's what it is called and it states that newborn babies or very very young infants for your sake will instinctively attempt to swim and will not breathe in water when submerged. I just am very skeptical of this. I do not take it as gospel because I know of no real case having been tested and I doubt very much that any parent in Ireland will ever try to prove the theory by say throwing their infant child into the local 6 foot swimming pool and hopping in when the kiddy needs air. You said you will know when they need air. How? Will they shout at you, will they go unconscious?

I'm awaiting this video proof DAME?

walshb, your attitude is unnecesasary. i started the thread to ask parents of their experiences with their babies swimming, i don't think you have read posts properly, dame gave me her experience of her own baby, and information about a documentary on it, can't get much better than that. you're input is surplous to the threads requirements and almost trolish, you obviously don't have anything substantial to say and no1 is asking you to believe so you'd be better just posting on threads that you think deserve your time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Figment

dame, on average how long would they hold their breath for?
    What type of sign does your baby give to let you know its time to breath?
    I would be worried i would miss the signs.

Only leave it a few seconds and then lift them. I can't remember how long exactly or what signs. I suppose any sign of discomfort at all, extra flailing of arms?? All I can say really is I never left her long enough under water to need any signs.

Figment wrote:
    dame, on average how long would they hold their breath for?
    What type of sign does your baby give to let you know its time to breath?
    I would be worried i would miss the signs.

This is laughable. What type of sign?
    How abut the sign of death through water inhalation?
    Don't tell me you are seriously considering experimenting
    with your baby this suspect theory of babies being able to swim and
    breathe water, all because some medical journals or documentaries
    say it's possible? And then hoping you time your intervention right resulting in your baby living?

dame wrote:
    Only leave it a few seconds and then lift them. I can't remember how long exactly or what signs. I suppose any sign of discomfort at all, extra flailing of arms?? All I can say really is I never left her long enough under water to need any signs.

And for all your so called knowledge and expertise, you are still unsure.
    I think you are a bit of a danger Dame!!!

All this talk of babies being comfortable and being able to breathe water and swim. All you are telling me is that the baby will live for a little while and then die without intervention. Isn't that what I have been saying all along.
    Without adults present, a baby will most definitely drown from water inhalation very quickly.
    Water babies my arse..Goodbye

Babies don't breathe water. Nobody said they did except you walshb. Goodbye.

• Advertisement

Look Dame, not goodbye just yet.
    Fair enough then. I just believe
    that the idea of an infant baby being able to swim and
    survive submerged in water is really unproven and although
    I have read what you are saying, I am not convinced and I know
    I would never have tried it with my daughter as a young baby.
    You did say that an adult must be present to watch for vital signs?
    How risky is that I ask, that an adult submerges his/her child in water and then must watch to see if the child becomes distressed or is close to death.
    That to me is not water babies, swimmimg, surviving, the mamallian dive reflex or anything else, apart from dicing with death. It is absolutely no different than an adult who cannot swim being thrown in water above his/her head. Eventually they will drown. The only difference is that an adult can scream for help and can at least splish and splash and for a little bit, keep their heads above water. A baby is powerless to do this.
    So don't take it as an insult, I just really think the whole theory
    is laughable. Can you post a video of a newborn proving me wrong?
    I have yet to see actual real footage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement