Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it bad to have differnt brand tyres front and back?

Options
  • 18-02-2007 1:30pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A few months ago I had a blow out which shredded one of my tyres. I decided to get 2 new ones and put them on the front. Now the rears need replacing and I'm about to go out and get a new set. The thing is i am not particularly happy with the ones that are on there (Bridgestone Potenza's) and would like to get something better. I find the Potenza's pretty crap in the wet and am thinking of getting something a bit better.

I'm not going to get 4 new tyres, but if I got 2 different ones now, and replaced the other 2 later, is it bad or just dangerous to have two different brands front and back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Zascar wrote:
    A few months ago I had a blow out which shredded one of my tyres. I decided to get 2 new ones and put them on the front. Now the rears need replacing and I'm about to go out and get a new set. The thing is i am not particularly happy with the ones that are on there (Bridgestone Potenza's) and would like to get something better. I find the Potenza's pretty crap in the wet and am thinking of getting something a bit better.

I'm not going to get 4 new tyres, but if I got 2 different ones now, and replaced the other 2 later, is it bad or just dangerous to have two different brands front and back?

I have never had any issues with having two different brands of tyres on cars as long as you pair them. Ie. the front tyres are both Bridgstone and the rear tyres are of the same brand ie Goodyear, etc.

Regarding the new tyres just make sure they are the same size, width, profile and speed rating as the other two.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The car is a 2002 Honda Civic Type R. It currently has Bridgestone Potenza 205/45/ZR17 and I am going to get Toyo PROXES T1-R 215/45 ZR17. So they are 215 instead of 205

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bazz26 wrote:
    just make sure they are the same size, width, profile and speed rating as the other two.
    Unless, of course, the back are a different size to the front - some models have wider rear tyres. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

So long as you have the same tyres on the same axle, it'll be sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Zascar wrote:
    The car is a 2002 Honda Civic Type R. It currently has Bridgestone Potenza 205/45/ZR17 and I am going to get Toyo PROXES T1-R 215/45 ZR17. So they are 215 instead of 205
    Stricty speaking, you should drop the profile to 40 if increasing the width to 215. Otherwise the rolling circumference will be different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Be wary of having better gripping tyres on the front. I had the back go loose on me in a big way on a wet roundabout with Goodyear Eagle F1s on the front, and Toyo Proxes T1R's on the back. I swapped them around the following day, with no major issues since. However this meant that the car tended to understeer more (Id prefer this to having the back step out). Different brand tyres, back to front can upset balance when pushing it if theres a big difference in grip levels front to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Stricty speaking, you should drop the profile to 40 if increasing the width to 215. Otherwise the rolling circumference will be different.
    agree here....use this site for reference
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

The Toyo T1-R's are a great tyre. I have them on the Alfa and love them....best all round tyre I've ever had

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cheers lads. I just noticed that the Toyo TR1's have Rim Protection so I think I'll stick with the 205's.

I want the maximum grip at the front, I'm happy with a little oversteer, I like it, you just have to be a bit carefull. AndrewF20 I know the same happened to me, I gave it a bit too much coming onto a roundabout in the rain and eneded up facing the wrong way! Not good, thankfully there was no one around. Learned my lesson though...

Advertisement