Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Confused as to what to do next.

• 18-02-2007 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Over the last few months I've been trying to make a living out of playing music, which is what I love. I've had the odd job or too but nothing stable, as I'm not into that whole thing. One thing I never want to do is get to the point where all I do is work and get drunk at the weekends, repeat for 50 years 'til pension, I want to live a varied life doing something I love.

But lately all I get is put down at home, my father is happy for what I plan to do and is fully supportive, but my mother is becoming unbearable. Every day (seriously) see comes into what ever room I'm in, tells me how bad I am, tells me how much she hates me, how much of a mistake I'm making, that I should me working my whole life and calls me things, I try not to react but it's hard sometimes and often I retaliate, which is wrong, but it's getting me down a lot lately.

My mother has been through a rough time too, she has been in and out of mental hospitals over the past 4 years so, it's understandable for her to lash out at me, but she is full of contradictions. My mother was a painter and she started to make a lot of money out of it, but the past 4 years she has not done any painting or working, she hasn't even bothered looking for a job, she watches tele all day and picks on me when she sees fit. She is telling me not to persue an artistical career, I think, because she failed...

Every time this happens I get more and more depressed and sometimes persuaded that I should be working my entire life, and live an insignificant life. It's just every day now and it's often given me suicidal thoughts, although I'll never have the courage to do it, this type of thing (at home, where I'm supposed to be safe) happening this often is too much.

I'm just wondering is there anyone out there that can give me advise on what to do. All I know is I need to get out of this house by any means nessesary, if I want to persue my dreams.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

move out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Get out now. What are you waiting for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

What age are you?

Trying to make a living from what you are doing is always going to be difficult, but by the sounds of what your Dad is like, you might be good enough to make that possible. As you said, don't take much notice of your mother. She might sound like a total b1tch, but stick by her.

But as said, move out. If you are 20 or under, start looking to move out asap. If any older, you shouldn't be living with your parents. I have a sister who is in her late 20s and still living at home, and doesn't want to move out as she is very comfortable there. The older you get, the more comfortable you will become living at home, and it is very unhealthy. On the other hand, if the sole reason you are living at home is because you can't afford to live otherwise, then question your career choice and look for a job, even a compromise between a part-time job and playing music may be a decent option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'd love to move out but I've no job at the moment (I'm currently looking) but y'know, I'm living in Dublin and I'm 19 and the prices of places to live is too much to pay for a part-time or even full-time job, plus I risk getting into the whole debt-repay-dept-repay circle of bull**** that'll probably stop me playing music altogether.

I do think I should move out soon.

I know it's a bit off-topic, but if I should move, how will I go about searching for places to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

You can't have your cake and eat it too man, it's unrealistic to think you'll make a living of music at this stage... If you get a full time job then you can easily afford to rent a room in a house. Just don't spend crazy amounts and there won't be any debt-repay bollocks.

Work during the day, play music at night... That's what the rest of us have to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭I_and_I

Search the net for places. Maybe getting out of dublin might not be a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Mlehmleh wrote:
    I'd love to move out but I've no job at the moment (I'm currently looking) but y'know, I'm living in Dublin and I'm 19 and the prices of places to live is too much to pay for a part-time or even full-time job, plus I risk getting into the whole debt-repay-dept-repay circle of bull**** that'll probably stop me playing music altogether.

I do think I should move out soon.

I know it's a bit off-topic, but if I should move, how will I go about searching for places to go?

What stopped you from going to college?

Advertisement