Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Niggly Megane Coupe Problems....HELP!

Options
  • 18-02-2007 2:53pm

Hi Guys!
    :confused:
    Have a few niggly things wrong with my Megane Coupe E (97 1.6) can anyone offer some advise? Wanna sort all these things out....only coz they are bugging me, and will probably sell later in the year!
    If you could put the how, where and how much that'd be brill! ;)

1) This is the biggest problem i'm having.... When i drive the car shakes a lot...and its fairly noticable, and when your driving slow, and put foot on clutch or take out of gear, its more of a rocking motion, I've had the tracking done and wheels aligned and all that, but hasnt really helped, Maybe I just need new tyres ???

2) Fuel Gauge is totally off, probably the sensor, when i fill the tank the gauge only goes up just over half way, so its totally off, so when it goes to the bottom and the light comes on, then i can drive for days, without knowing if i'm going to run out of fuel all of a sudden! I know that I can simply work out how many mile i get out of a full tank and then work it that way, but thats a pain in the ass. A mate had the same problem and he was told its a big job.... anyone had the same experience or ideas?

3) Lights behind buttons and dials for air etc gone, think a few bulbs are gone, is this a big job?

4) Driver door open / closed sensor gone, so when the door is open the internal light doesnt come on, and if my headlights are on it doesnt beep.

5) Only have one Key....its one with a led type remote central locking...where your have to point to the sensor above the rear view mirror to activate....obviously encoded....anyone have any ideas how much for a second?

Finally 6) The previous owner lived in the middle of nowhere in meath, so bodywork isnt top notch....a hell of a lot of stone chippings around front & bonnet, will a standard pack from halfords do the trick or am i better off getting it sprayed.

Thanks a MILLION in advance for anyone who can help with any of the above in advance.

P.s the car is foooking fantastic..love it, a lot faster than my old punto he he.

Spy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

1) This is the biggest problem i'm having.... When i drive the car shakes a lot...and its fairly noticable, and when your driving slow, and put foot on clutch or take out of gear, its more of a rocking motion, I've had the tracking done and wheels aligned and all that, but hasnt really helped, Maybe I just need new tyres ???.

Have you checked the tyres, maybe a bulge or some other damage picked up along the way. Does it happen when you brake? maybe warped discs?
    2) Fuel Gauge is totally off, probably the sensor, when i fill the tank the gauge only goes up just over half way, so its totally off, so when it goes to the bottom and the light comes on, then i can drive for days, without knowing if i'm going to run out of fuel all of a sudden! I know that I can simply work out how many mile i get out of a full tank and then work it that way, but thats a pain in the ass. A mate had the same problem and he was told its a big job.... anyone had the same experience or ideas.

Dont know about this, best get it checked and get a quote anyway. In fairness its an old enough car, might not be worth getting doen if it's going to cost hundreds.
    3) Lights behind buttons and dials for air etc gone, think a few bulbs are gone, is this a big job?.

Havnt doen a megane but have changed bulbs in the dash on my safrane and clio. Generally the whole air con panel should be able to be taken off to replace them.
    4) Driver door open / closed sensor gone, so when the door is open the internal light doesnt come on, and if my headlights are on it doesnt beep..

Had this on my old accord, one door had a snapped cable, the other the button that releases when the door opens was broken , probably got pulled by somethign getting caught. It didnt bother me too much so I ignored it. If it's the button itself, might be handy enough to get in a scrap yard, if its a brokencable its preobably best left unless you can see it, you could be chasing the problem through the car.
    5) Only have one Key....its one with a led type remote central locking...where your have to point to the sensor above the rear view mirror to activate....obviously encoded....anyone have any ideas how much for a second?..

I was quoted €180 by Liffey Valley Renault for a new key for my Safrane. They said €120ish was for the key. So if you could get one off ebay with a blank blade it should only cost €50-€60 to get it encoded.
    6) The previous owner lived in the middle of nowhere in meath, so bodywork isnt top notch....a hell of a lot of stone chippings around front & bonnet, will a standard pack from halfords do the trick or am i better off getting it sprayed.

~I tried one of those before and the colour never matched properly. didnt bother again. Might just have been unlucky though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

1, get all the tyres balanced
    3, check all fuses, possably be a light
    4, your plunger has gone when you close your door the circut is broken when you open the door the circut is complete, cheap enough from renault.
    5, go to renault, the new key will have to be chipped and coded maybe €100
    6, get it done properly, bout 300 to get it done.

Are you a hairdresser by anychance,,,

Just kidding:)

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

Hi Guys!

1) This is the biggest problem i'm having.... When i drive the car shakes a lot...and its fairly noticable, and when your driving slow, and put foot on clutch or take out of gear, its more of a rocking motion, I've had the tracking done and wheels aligned and all that, but hasnt really helped, Maybe I just need new tyres ???

Is the car ideling correctly - are you sure that this is not the rocking motion that you are talking about. If not ideling then its more than likely an ignition coil gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Does it stay the same as the car slows down or does the rocking get slower as the car slows down as you are coasting along in neutral ?

If it keeps in the same rhythm it engine type stuff , if it keeps in synch with the car as its slowing down its something like a bent drive shaft / bent wheel rim sort of thing .

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the tips.

The rocking motion slows down when the car slows, and speeds up when the car speeds up, totally in rythm...so this is a bent drive shaft / wheel rim probably...any ideas as to how much to fix / replace?
    P.s already got the wheels balanced Volvoboy!

In relation to the bulbs...gonna give it a go and replace myself (hopefully) and will get a plunger for the door sensor!

Also I was out driving today, and finally the fuel gauge caught me out...ran out of fuel, pain in the ass, first time ever, i suppose from now on i'll have to keep it over half full all the time! typical, the same day i look for advise and it happens!:mad:
    Will get a quote to get it fixed, but if its a lot, wont bother.
    And the same goes for the Key! but I know that Blanch Renault have fobbed me off in the past, very very bad customer service so Will probably go round to Airside or something!

So that just leaves the rocking motion! Any ideas?

P.s nope, in Insurance, not hairdresser volvoboy, but if i were should I not be driving a celica or hyundai coupe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Hi Guys,

!

So that just leaves the rocking motion! Any ideas?

[/I]

It could be the pressure plate in the clutch, tbh these yokes are lemons and the list of faults just go on and on. Another regular thing to go is the bolt in the back engine mounting breaks and the whole engine swivels on its drive shafts. I could list loads of more faults about them but I'm not in the humor for arguing for the next month or so.:rolleyes: :)

junkyard wrote:
    It could be the pressure plate in the clutch, tbh these yokes are lemons and the list of faults just go on and on. Another regular thing to go is the bolt in the back engine mounting breaks and the whole engine swivels on its drive shafts. I could list loads of more faults about them but I'm not in the humor for arguing for the next month or so.:rolleyes: :)

Seriously though. You spout half an anti renault moan then say "I'm not getting into an arguement" . There was absolutely no need to start giving out, it helps no one and he wasnt after an opinion on a car he is buying. You answered his question with an opinion in the first sentence, it should have been left at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Stekelly wrote:
    Seriously though. You spout half an anti renault moan then say "I'm not getting into an arguement" . There was absolutely no need to start giving out, it helps no one and he wasnt after an opinion on a car he is buying. You answered his question with an opinion in the first sentence, it should have been left at that.
    Congratulations on your new appointment as mod for this forum Stekelly, which corner would you like me to stand in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

junkyard wrote:
    Congratulations on your new appointment as mod for this forum Stekelly, which corner would you like me to stand in?

LOL!:D

-VB-

junkyard wrote:

Whichever one is outside the forum if possible.

I dont have to be a mod to be pissed off by repetitive and/or ot posts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement