Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Test - Yellow boxes and more

Options
  • 18-02-2007 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Hello,

A friend is doing the test next week and was asking me a few question, she was given different answers on all of these by different instructors.

1.) If you are stopped waiting to turn right (or other type of junction) and someone waves you on (lets you through) should you go?

2.) Is it ok to adjust your mirrors before starting to reverse around the corner? And adjust them again afterwards.

3.) Turning right at a junction with a yellow box. How many cars can enter the yellow box waiting for a gap to complete the turn. Is it one? Or as many as will fit?

Anyone have any ideas on these?

Thanks,

Jim :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

1) I was told not to go if waved on but thankfully, AFAIR, it didnt happen in my test.
    2)Can't imagaine why this would be a problem as long as you didnt take all day at it.
    3)Never even though about this, would imagine that its as many as fit safely but then again so many things in the driving test do not follow to actual everyday driving.

Hope the test goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

jimogr wrote:
    3.) Turning right at a junction with a yellow box. How many cars can enter the yellow box waiting for a gap to complete the turn. Is it one? Or as many as will fit?

One is your best bet here, though for complex reasons. On a crossroads, only one car at a time should ever proceed into the junction regardless of the yellow box, as additional cars can block cars from the opposite directions who also wish to turn. In cases where this is not an issue, remember that your obligation is not to enter the yellow box unless your way through is clear. In the case of a right turn, "your way through" is defined as the bit on the road to the right that you wish to enter. As long as the only thing causing you to stop is oncoming traffic, that's OK.

So consider the second and subsequent cars looking to make the manoevre. The obstacle to progress for them is the car already stopped in the box. They are not able to clear the junction until this is gone, so they may not enter the box. Obviously a signal controlled junction provides even more reasons why this logic is required, but it works on normal junctions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

jimogr wrote:

1.) If you are stopped waiting to turn right (or other type of junction) and someone waves you on (lets you through) should you go?

You should proceed after you have looked left, looked right, checked your mirrors (pedestrians, cyclists etc.) and having perfomed all the checks you would normally. Never, ever flash/wave/beckon somebody on your test- you are leading them into a potentially dangerous situation.
    jimogr wrote:
    2.) Is it ok to adjust your mirrors before starting to reverse around the corner? And adjust them again afterwards.

This is a grey area which is really down to the tester, you might get a grade 2 for failure to progress/improper use of mirrors ie. it shouldn't be necessary. I had my passenger mirror lower than usual for my test to help me reversing around the corner.
    jimogr wrote:

Only ever one. What if you don't get a chance to go until the light is red? There would not be enough time for multiple cars to get through the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

Thanks for the replies.

One junction in particular brought up question 3. Not sure if anyone know it, in finglas town and when taking a right from Seamus Ennis road onto Jamestown road. It is a large yellow box, there is enough room in the box for two cars, and not to block anyone.

The general practice on this junction is two or more cars in the box but I always thought the correct way to do this was one car only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

jimogr wrote:
    Hello,

A friend is doing the test next week and was asking me a few question, she was given different answers on all of these by different instructors.

Anyone have any ideas on these?

Thanks,

Jim :)

1) No - you should NEVER go if waved on. FACT. Ignore anyone who said otherwise.
    2) Yes, that's okay.
    3) 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Was told by my instructor that its fine to adjust mirrors for the reverse around the corner and did so both times I sat the test and never got penalised for it, in fact on the second test my tester said to move off after i readjusted my mirrors (which, as I was so nervous, I'd have forgotten to do if he hadn't said it!!).

One at a time in a yellow box would seem to be best policy unless its very large, remember you shouldn't be blocking anyone while waiting in there.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

mackerski wrote:
    One is your best bet here, though for complex reasons. On a crossroads, only one car at a time should ever proceed into the junction regardless of the yellow box, as additional cars can block cars from the opposite directions who also wish to turn. In cases where this is not an issue, remember that your obligation is not to enter the yellow box unless your way through is clear. In the case of a right turn, "your way through" is defined as the bit on the road to the right that you wish to enter. As long as the only thing causing you to stop is oncoming traffic, that's OK.

So consider the second and subsequent cars looking to make the manoevre. The obstacle to progress for them is the car already stopped in the box. They are not able to clear the junction until this is gone, so they may not enter the box. Obviously a signal controlled junction provides even more reasons why this logic is required, but it works on normal junctions too.
    I agree that the above is good and sensible practice but in the ROTR it states that when turning right you may enter a yellow box if your exit is blocked by oncoming traffic OR by other right turning vehicles. This would seem to suggest that if say 3 cars wish to turn right, the 3 of them can enter the yellow box before the first one has exited the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Only ever one car in a yellow box, technically, and for the driving test.

But in practice, two or more cars can fit in if done correctly.

Advertisement