Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuniq Tower

Options
  • 18-02-2007 3:33pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

I have had my heart set on one of these for a while now, but Im not sure if it will fit an Abit AB9 Pro..

Any ideas?

Would a Therlamright Ultra-90 and an Akasa 92mm fan be a better option?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

The tuniq will fit that board fine, there is a load o room around the socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

the main thing to worry about with the Tuniq is the width of your case as the tuniq is so tall. what case do you have?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Thanks Anti,

I have a Lian Li PC7 plus its 210mm wide, and here are the Tuniq's requirements:

tuniq_cooler_tower120_r21_c25.jpg

So it looks good :) I was just worried that the NB cooler might interfere..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

yeah tuniq's are massive, i had to drop kick my mobo into the case with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

nice case cozzy.

• Advertisement

Thank you :)

Anyone know where I can get a Tuniq Tower other than Overclockers? Because I ordered my gear from komplett..

throw flaccus a PM, he probably has about 6 of them lying around :D

Also you should note that the Tuniq is the best air cooler at STOCK, coolers like the BT VX and Scythe Infinity will beat the Tuniq with aftermarket higher CFM fans.

and mount mods.

Well i was thinking of getting the Scythe Infinity because I can get it on Ebay..

But I want it to be as quiet a possible too....

I just saw a Dell HSF in a friends rig yesterday and they are animals! Can these be mounted with a bit of modding? are they good? it was cool to touch on a 3ghz P4 and a silent fan...

I would like to get hold of one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

conzymaher wrote:
    it was cool to touch on a 3ghz P4 and a silent fan...

That's not necessarily a good thing. :) Could be down to sh*tty thermal transfer for example.

• Advertisement

Hehe, Well the pc was working :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I have the scythe infinitey but for some reason the tuniq tower just seems to be plain better by a few degrees in nearly all the reviews. Still a top notch air cooler though.

I went for the Scythe Ninja, Couldnt find the tuniq tower anywhere but in Overclockers and im boycotting them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

conzymaher wrote:
    I went for the Scythe Ninja, Couldnt find the tuniq tower anywhere but in Overclockers and im boycotting them :D

I went for one too (in the same order). I also got a 2nd fan so I could use a push / pull config on it to drag the last few degrees off the kentsfield I have on the way. Yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

The case fan is is right at the front of mine no need for a second fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Lads is there any bricks and mortar shop around Dublin were you could pick either the Tuniq or the Scythe Ninja?

Just a quick question also, will the either of the above fit into an Antec 180 case?

Cheers

Im not sure about the Ninja, But you definetly wont get the Tuniq Tower, they are like gold dust :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Damn, i was hoping to pick one up ASAP as im getting my delivery from komplett tommorow, looks like ill have to pick up a Zalman from peats.

Unless anybody else knows anywhere?

I have searched all over, andno where in ireland stocks the tuniq.

As for push pull withthe cooler. it has been proven that it has the opposoite effect with some coolers, as it is moving the air to quick to actually remove any of the heat from the heatpipes/fins.

*Edit*

Just seen this link http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=219485 might be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Well I think the above is crap I have just built out a rig with a quad core overclocked to 3.4ghz from 2.6ghz and doing video encoding with the 4 core's at 100%, the highest temp is 61Deg with the Tuniq, so to say it doesn't do a great job when overclocking the chip is rubbish!

Snake ;)

• Advertisement

Well I think the above is crap I have just built out a rig with a quad core overclocked to 3.4ghz from 2.6ghz and doing video encoding with the 4 core's at 100%, the highest temp is 61Deg with the Tuniq, so to say it doesn't do a great job when overclocking the chip is rubbish!

Snake ;)

what case are you using? I've found the Tuniq is extremely effected by airflow in the case. I rejigged my fan setup on the weekend (I took out the dominator airflow) and put my 2 exhaust fans in my P180 on the Zalman controller switchs allowing me to turn them either off, to 5v or 12v. I left the 2 exhaust fans off and left all the other fans in my system on low. I left for an hour and when I got back my CPU was idling at 65'c :eek: I quickly turned all the fans up high and the temps dropped to 28'c within a minute, I then tested again with all the fans on low, only this time I turned the exhaust fans to 5v. When I came back an hour later the CPU was idling at 40'c. So just having the exhaust fans moving a small amount of air dropped my CPU temps by 20'c. I've also since replaced the stock 9 blade tuniq fan with a quiet 8 blade Scythe Sflex fan and my temps on idle and load having only gone up 2'c, but the noise levels of the Tuniq are not even recognisable. The loudest component in my system now is the 12cm fan in my OCZ 700w.

The Tuniq is a great cooler, but like everything, it has its limitations.

EDIT: Good Sythe Infinity review I just read

Yeah I'm using a CoolerMaster Stacker Case, which I suppose helps the cooling. Which reminmds me I must put my systems Spec's in my signature.

Snake ;)

The stacker is a good case, as long as you dont use all 4 of the side fans.

5 fans blowing air in ( one at the bottom sideofthe case too ), and one taking it out.

Ive seen good results from using a second fan in the front to bring air in.

Hi Anti I might try that front fan, see if it makes much of a difference

Snake ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Conzy,

Just read a review on anandtech for the new Ultra 120, with more heatpipes!

The results were impressive to say the least, and i think its priced the same as the Tuniq.

I went for the old reliable Scythe Ninja plus :)

Im a little worried about how little air my Nexus case fans move.. they are very silent but dont move a lot of air so the Ninja might not be happy :(

give them 12v man......

They have 12v :) they are just very low CFM fans...

Time to get some deltas hooked up, and a set of earplugs :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement