Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ways around Eircoms bittorrent throttling?

Options
  • 18-02-2007 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

I'm really starting to wonder what the hell I'm paying Eircom for. Just found out Eircom caps Bittorrent download speeds. I am quite annoyed by this. I've started experiment with Linux but the fact my torrent download speed never makes it over 40KBs is making it nightmarish.

I'm currently using transmission but can anyone recommend alternatives that might help me achieve better speeds?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I wasn't aware Eircom throttle bittorrent, I could be just missing such reports but I've seen nothing to say their throttling p2p as of yet

You sure you have port forwarding setup correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

I believe so but as always I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I was getting 160KBs last night. I'm using Bits on wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I doubt they're throttling torrents, but you could try using protocol encryption in utorrent, or try using a port other than 6881.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah try a different port, preferably something over 30000. And make sure connections are going through your firewall properly. Check with some torrent that has hundreds of decent seeds, like some Linux ISO.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've started experiment with Linux but the fact my torrent download speed never makes it over 40KBs is making it nightmarish.
    So download your ISOs using HTTP or FTP. Problem solved.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I am sure that if Eircom had started throttling boards would be inundated with complaints.

How did you 'find out'? As in 'I have just found out'?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ain't Eircom, buddy. Default ports are blocked by most places where your **** comes from, and they're throttling your DL's. Thought everyone stopped using defaults years ago? Ah well. And no, I ain't telling you mine, or ones you should use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Oh please the_syco tell us what ports you use!

As someone else said, just use any port over 30000 and switch to uTorrent. You shouldn't have any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Seconded for utorrent, great client.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Bitlord! I have been downloading with that no problemo :D on Eircom 2mb.

I usually achieve full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I also recommend uTorrent. I dunno what Linux clients there are though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 node

I'm really starting to wonder what the hell I'm paying Eircom for. Just found out Eircom caps Bittorrent download speeds. I am quite annoyed by this. I've started experiment with Linux but the fact my torrent download speed never makes it over 40KBs is making it nightmarish.

I'm currently using transmission but can anyone recommend alternatives that might help me achieve better speeds?
    Hahaha, you are wondering why you are paying your ISP because they don't help you steal copyright material ? :D

node wrote:
    Hahaha, you are wondering why you are paying your ISP because they don't help you steal copyright material ? :D

Indeed but in this particular case they are apparently not even doing what he claims or should I say 'believes':rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Use Azureus myself with an eircom 2mb line, just vnc'd into my machine now and I'm getting 250k/s download speeds so whoever told you that eircom throttle Bit Torrents is lying through their ass :)

Make sure your Port Forwarding is set up correctly. Easily set up on azureus with the wizard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Was your sig in the guardian or some English paper Garth?? I think i remember macs being compared to fisher proce toys in there somewhere.

Anyway. I have a 2mb eircom line but only get around 65Kpbs dowload speeds, torrent or not. Any ideas how to fix this? Ive checked the router and this is the speed it is registering too. This is using both pcs and macs so dont think it is a spyware issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I dunno what Linux clients there are though.

Azureus is the client of choice for most linux users.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Utorrent also has a feature which chooses a random port at every launch. Handy for those with routers that support Upnp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some trackers are banning Transmission as it does not play nice with tracker requests.

dub45 wrote:
    I am sure that if Eircom had started throttling boards would be inundated with complaints.

How did you 'find out'? As in 'I have just found out'?

I was "informed" and it seems the person who informed me didn't know what he was talking about.

Thanks for the help. I'll give uTorrent a try.

• Advertisement

I was "informed" and it seems the person who informed me didn't know what he was talking about.

Thanks for the help. I'll give uTorrent a try.

''Informed'' indeed!

Would it not be better to ask the simple question then?

''Does anyone know if Eircom block torrents?''

Most likely yes, yes it would have.

Advertisement