Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco Mobile?

• 18-02-2007 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

Has anybody news on Tesco Mobile.

They are selling 02 phones currently offering 10c calls (o2 to o2) until Sept.?

Perhaps this is what they'll be offering with Tesco Mobile?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

No one really knows what they're planning. They've reserved 089 as their prefix though.

I'd assume you'll see some kind of a heavy tie-in with their Tesco Clubcard and an incentive to visit their stores to topup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

ya they've been fairly quiet since they 1st brought out the news, im sure as solair said they will have loads of incentives to make you join them
    Personally think these virtual operators are great ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

they are sellig them in tesco dundrum already.its using the o2 network and is cheaper than o2 as its 10c a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

drdre wrote:
    they are sellig them in tesco dundrum already.its using the o2 network and is cheaper than o2 as its 10c a call.

Reckon you have posted this before - but is this really Tesco Mobile? ;) Is it really a 089 number you get, or is it not only a special o2 deal on tesco and not a tesco deal on tesco if you know what I mean?

flodis79 wrote:
    Reckon you have posted this before - but is this really Tesco Mobile? ;) Is it really a 089 number you get, or is it not only a special o2 deal on tesco and not a tesco deal on tesco if you know what I mean?

I know what you mean.I was in tesco awhile back and seen a large stand advertising the tesco network and there were boxes on the stand.i was looking at buying one but the phone range was crap.they were the cheapy phones.The stand is beside the express checkout beside the fridges.hope you know where im talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

The are currently looking for a call center to outsource their customer care for tesco mobile

drdre wrote:
    I know what you mean.I was in tesco awhile back and seen a large stand advertising the tesco network and there were boxes on the stand.i was looking at buying one but the phone range was crap.they were the cheapy phones.The stand is beside the express checkout beside the fridges.hope you know where im talking about.

But the Tesco network will start in the summer! ;)

were did you hear it was starting in the summer?

1huge1 wrote:
    were did you hear it was starting in the summer?

http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/1219/tesco.html

I find it very interesting if drdre has already seen Tesco branded phones and sim cards in Dundrum? :confused:

flodis79 wrote:
    http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/1219/tesco.html

I find it very interesting if drdre has already seen Tesco branded phones and sim cards in Dundrum? :confused:
    I have see it, if anyone else is in dundrum soon please check out the stand beside the self checkouts.if im there within a week or 2 i will get a picture for you guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

i was looking at buying one but the phone range was crap.they were the cheapy phones

Well, they aren't aiming at the high end of the market so it would be no surprise. In the UK they tend to do the same

BuffyBot wrote:
    Well, they aren't aiming at the high end of the market so it would be no surprise. In the UK they tend to do the same
    I know that but they had really cheapy plastic phones not even like the 6100,6230i,etc .You know what i mean :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I'm in the Dundrum Centre a lot as I live in Dundrum. When I'm there next I'll take a look.

drdre wrote:
    I know that but they had really cheapy plastic phones not even like the 6100,6230i,etc .You know what i mean :)
    So no phones more than €99?

flodis79 wrote:
    So no phones more than €99?

Well when i seen the phone range it was the cheap phones but i would expect they will/should have a better range.i will check it out when i go the next time.

I was in Tesco the other day checking this out and they do indeed have a special range 'tesco in unique cooperation with o2' display, with eg the nokia 2310 for €49 and you get the 10c for all calls. What I didn't get is, if you get €75 euros call credit on new connecions with this tesco/o2 phones, same as on the 'real' o2 deals?

flodis79 wrote:
    I was in Tesco the other day checking this out and they do indeed have a special range 'tesco in unique cooperation with o2' display, with eg the nokia 2310 for €49 and you get the 10c for all calls. What I didn't get is, if you get €75 euros call credit on new connecions with this tesco/o2 phones, same as on the 'real' o2 deals?

Yes i knew someone could back me up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

drdre wrote:
    Yes i knew someone could back me up :)

Don't be so sure of yourself yet, nobody has confirmed whether they have 089 numbers. For now, it looks like they're simply cheap O2 mobiles with 086 numbers with a special, limited time deal on them, and NOT Tesco Mobile phones yet.

Of course perhaps someone would like to correct me, or has indeed picked one up and can confirm they've 089 numbers?

Well id assume they are going to use the 089 prefix since they have it reserved...
    Yes you are right Urban Weigi Tesco do intend to be a virtual network this deal with O2 is only temporary, that was the deal they made when they got offered the licence from comreg though it looks likely that it will be the O2 network they will be piggy backing on

They are going to use the 089 numbers, there's no question about that. The question is: are the current O2 phones sold by Tesco already "Tesco Mobile" phones with 089 numbers, or are they simply O2 phones with 086 numbers?

I am curious because I thought Tesco Mobile was only launching in summer. It sounds to me like nobody has confirmed yet whether these are the actual "Tesco Mobile" phones and have 089 numbers as a result, or simply an O2 deal.

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote:
    Well id assume they are going to use the 089 prefix since they have it reserved...

If they are O2 phones, they'll have 086 even if they are a special offer at Tesco. 089 will only be issued when they start selling the actual Tesco brand phones, and service.
    Yes you are right Urban Weigi Tesco do intend to be a virtual network this deal with O2 is only temporary, that was the deal they made when they got offered the licence from comreg though it looks likely that it will be the O2 network they will be piggy backing on

It's confirmed. Tesco Mobile is a joint venture between Tesco and O2, so with O2 having an ownership stake in the company, it'll naturally use their network

So in other words, as I suspected, Tesco Mobile phones are not available yet, but will be later on in the year.

sorry I didnt explain that very well
    ya the service is not up yet
    the phones being sold are O2 086

1huge1 wrote:
    sorry I didnt explain that very well
    ya the service is not up yet
    the phones being sold are O2 086

Yeah, it could impossibly have been 089 anyway, since they havent
    got clearance from Comreg.

What I wonder is, do you get €75 credit on the Tesco o2 deals, the
    ones they sell now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

flodis79 wrote:

the deal currently in stores is an Tesco branded package on the O2 network (a precursor due to relationship O2 and Tesco have - tesco mobile is 50/50 O2 and tesco)...the advertised summer launch is on a new network on 089 and i expect will have new offers different to the other operators...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

So the 10c call offer is probably Tesco doing market research in advance of the launch of Tesco Mobile. If the only difference between o2 and Tesco Mobile is 10c own network calls then I can't see a mad rush for sign ups esp. with Meteor offers 5C own network calls.

Fungus wrote:
    So the 10c call offer is probably Tesco doing market research in advance of the launch of Tesco Mobile. If the only difference between o2 and Tesco Mobile is 10c own network calls then I can't see a mad rush for sign ups esp. with Meteor offers 5C own network calls.

I think it's way to early to speculate what their tariffs might be. I wouldn't make the assumption that this current offer will reflect Tesco's own.

ya as we all know the only way the new networks in this country try to get customers is by really cheap rates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

BuffyBot wrote:
    I think it's way to early to speculate what their tariffs might be. I wouldn't make the assumption that this current offer will reflect Tesco's own.

hmmmmm .... O2 and Tesco are launcing Tesco Mobile within months so I think it is safe to say the current (very limited) 10c promotion that is exclusive to Tesco is market testing.

10c calls would also be in line with the kinda simplified (but not always the cheapest) tarrifs that Tesco Mobile UK offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Tesco mobile will be the first proper MVNO network in the country. An MVNO network is Mobile Virtual Network Operator.
    It means they use another network's infastructure but have their own billing system, switch for routing calls etc. It is very likely that they will have a different prefix like 089.
    It will be different than just a cheaper offering of O2, they will have their own slant on it, it will be the equivalent of Tesco Cornflakes versus Kelloggs Cornflakes. I know I would rather eat Kelloggs but there are people out there that will eat the non-branded ones to save a few pence even at the expense Sorry for the crap analogy but you get the idea.

Oh yea the proper Tesco Mobile offering will not be in play till later this year.

Advertisement