Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What make of laptop do you have?

• 18-02-2007 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious as to the different types of makes people have. Also, I would be interested in any problems you have or had with the make/manufacturer.

To get the ball rolling, I've an IBM/Levono Thinkpad which I purchased from Laptopsdirect. No complaints on either.

What make of laptop do you have? 101 votes

Dell
    0% 0 votes
    Sony
    41% 42 votes
    Acer
    13% 14 votes
    IBM/Levono
    12% 13 votes
    Toshiba
    3% 4 votes
    Fujitsu/Siemens
    6% 7 votes
    Apple Mac
    4% 5 votes
    Other
    15% 16 votes

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

toshiba - nice no problems
    dell - ok, some issues with power to usb ports.
    samsung Q35- new from laptopsdirect, no issues as yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

A basic one, Dell Inspiron 1000 and have to say never any problems with Dell with many, many dealings with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I have a compaq presario v6065

absolute beauty!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

MacBookPro for the Win! If i ever find a woman with as good build quality I shall covet her forever!

I'm only a recent OSX cherry convert but I can see myself spending quite some time with the os in the future.

Before that I was a ferrari convert, had an f4005 (fantastic build quality) and F3400 (good machine but bit of a let down with heat disappation) and before those it was a Gateway s400 (if memory serves me correctly) which was bulky but powerful and cheap, since i bought it in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Dell Inspiron 1300, does the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Doodee wrote:
    MacBookPro for the Win! If i ever find a woman with as good build quality I shall covet her forever!

Crap. In my usual blinkered approach, I completely forgot about Macs. I would be interested in seeing if anyone actually has a bad thing to say about Macs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Tosibha Tecra A2- dads work laptop that was never asked back.......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm using a Fujitsu/ Siemens today but I should have a shiny new Dell instead tomorrow. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Apple Powerbook here. It's served me very well for almost 4 years now. Still works great, but the battery life has gone to the dogs.

I'll be upgrading to a Mac Book Pro the next time they update the product line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

dell lat d800

had a good few years now. it was the top thing out at the time.

bat lasts 15mins now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

HP Pavilion (i think). No real problems with it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Dell Latitude D600 - the one supplied by work!
    Only problems being it is nearly a relic and this stage and I was hoping for a D620 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Vaoi for 5 months or so - class. only downside is you have to use their disk when reformatting cause the drivers for the shortcut keys are a bugger to install(only availablr for xp and vista too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

tom dunne wrote:
    Crap. In my usual blinkered approach, I completely forgot about Macs.
    I added it as a poll option. If that's a problem I can edit it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

dell 6400 for two months, no issues so far, very easy transaction etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭trojaneater1

Alienware m5700 and a crappy little sotec(i know) notebook with a line running down middle of screen. The alienware is a great desktop replacement.
    No problems so far with it, other than it does get a little hot at times.......;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Acer Aspire bought from laptopsdirect

No problems with either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Macbook Pro for the win. No problems either. Use it as a desktop replacement. Magnificent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Advent. No issues. Nice machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

Meh, I don't like Dell...I've a Sony Vaio.

But I'm leaving it for a Mac soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Dell Inspiron 6000 (1½ years old)

No issues with it whatsoever, except for my own stupidity, which was easily rectified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

got a Dell XPS M1710
    Use it at least 8 hours a day, no problems. rock solid machine.......!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

An Iqon Qompanion 5011
    Cost me €300 in Tesco about 6 months ago and cant fault it ,has worked perfectly.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

packard bell easynote. was a nice surprise gift from my parents for my 21st!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

acer ferrari 4005

am looking to change soon to a nice 12inch macbook pro ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Dell Latitude D620 (about a week old)
    Dell Inspiron 8200 (about 4 years old monster machine, still works...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Dell XPS M1710. Great machine.

Have a few latitudes at work. No problems either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

Dell 6400 , had problems from day one ,bad memory and motherboard , replaced with new 6400 after a month or so , the new one is on 24/7 and no problems so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

hp pavilon 6065 64bit laptop -

loadsa problems with dvd drive and fan. been sent back twice. when its working its a beast of a machine.

dell d620 -

have it 6months and no issues so far. makes a whirring noise when i start it up in the docking station after its been sitting in the car all night

• Advertisement

vaio sz2xp
    very compact-grand machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 node

Macbook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭underpants

I've a Packard Bell iGo 4000. never had a problem with it.
    I even dropped it about 10 foot on to a wooden floor and it still works!!!
    good few years old now and just ordered an acer to replace it. Hope it lasts as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

compaq c300ea for me..

got it for xmas .. no prbs since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I've a Dell Inspiron 6000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Had a Gateway, pile of crap.

Have had two Dell's. Inspiron which broke one week out of warranty and Dell wouldn't do anything about it and my current laptop is a Latitude D810 which works perfectly since day one, no problems.

Have Dell dimension desktop with no problems.

Have worked with a company that had nothing but IBM Thinkpads and used them for a year with not one problem on anyones laptop that I'm aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭MjM

I've had a Dell Inspiron 6400 with the last three months and its had no problems. I'm very happy with it. At home i've got an ancient Compaq Armada 1750 PII 366 !!! Its built like a tank though and it still works well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Packard Bell easynote. 30mins battery life, sounds like it runs on a deisel motor. Slow as hell. Its only 15mts old. Screen sucks. Can't say anything positive about it at all. I could say that at least it was cheap at €650 but it was a rip off. Lesson learned.

By the way, any offers?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Dell Inspiron 6000, just over 1 yr old
    Excellent machine, 1gig ram, Ati mobility x300 video card, Centrino 1..86ghz, Xp+Ubuntu dual boot, 2nd 7200mAh 80wh battery lasts over 3 hours
    Good machine, very happy, good service from Dell when needed
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

bogman wrote:
    Dell Inspiron 6000, just over 1 yr old
    Excellent machine, 1gig ram, Ati mobility x300 video card, Centrino 1..86ghz, Xp+Ubuntu dual boot
    :)

Must've gotten the same deal....I've the exact same setup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Dell XPS M170 - Graphics Card Replaced,Bluetooth Module Replaced,Motherboard Replaced Twice...Now it works ok tho'......I was pressuring them for a new one but alas no joy! - Got a free USB key tho'....
    Dell D410 - Ebay purchase for €600 with 2 years NBD...had battery replaced under recall program but sweet as a bloody nut otherwise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

majiktripp wrote:
    Dell XPS M170 - Graphics Card Replaced,Bluetooth Module Replaced,Motherboard Replaced Twice...Now it works ok tho'......I was pressuring them for a new one but alas no joy! - Got a free USB key tho'....
    Dell D410 - Ebay purchase for €600 with 2 years NBD...had battery replaced under recall program but sweet as a bloody nut otherwise!

Jesus. I wouldn't have accepted that. Mother board replaced twice and graphics card also. Usb key for your troubles. Feck that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Oh believe me there was some bloody long battles with supervisors and escalations etc but I dealt with at least 6 different people in the process and a lot got lost in translation...which is a ploy of dell's I bleive,no hard feelings really though,I deal with them regularly enough so I know **** happens....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Dell Inspiron 6400

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A lovely Acer Aspire, my second.
    I am a mac hater. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I am a mac hater. :)

Careful now, Mac users are quite sensitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Home: HP Pavilion zv5368ea and my work laptop is a HP Compaq NC6000

Very happy with both; Altho the NC can be slow at times and suffers from grinding hard disks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Acer Travelmate 2300 over 2 years old and used every day I pimped it up with 2gigs of ram running and using Photoshop and Illustrator with gusto. Great machine cheap and cheerful about to buy a new one will very likely go for same again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

Acer Aspire, first laptop. Don't like the fact that they don't supply full XP disc, so reinstall means all data gone, no possibility of repair. Just this week-end used s-video out for the first time with tv, handy. Also reinstall disc needed about 5 restarts the last time I used it. Had to replace HD, my fault.

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Ive got Philips Freevents x53. Got it last holloween, love it, not one bit of bother with it, runs everything i need perfectly, battery is just under 4 hours (which is great for me after having 2 laptops with battery life that more often than not wouldnt exceed 1 hour!!). Its so small and light aswell which is what i need!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

I have an Acer 4604WLMi and after reading that horror story on here, I hope it behaves. It was blue screening on me a while back and I couldn't figure out why. I reloaded windows and it stopped for a month or so. When it started again, I really did try to figure it out but couldn't find the cause. I eventually reloaded windows again and it blue screens very infrequently now. Hopefully it won't get any worse as I don't want to send it back to Acer now.
    I also won't be recommending Acer as much as I used to due to their very bad treatment of the guy here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement