Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How important is post count and what does it mean to you

• 18-02-2007 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

This kind of follows on from the previous thread about the posting in afterhours and its effect on post-count

how important is postcount and does someone who has massive amounts of posts rate better than someone who has a few posts

opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Postcount means nothing to me. Sometimes other peoples postcount and join date will effect how I react to what someone says, but not often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Does'nt matter at all, except perhaps to show that someone is active in the community.

/edited typo

Hagar wrote:
    Does matter at all, except perhaps to show that someone is active in the community.
    Yeah, this is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I'm still a relative noob but

post count is not important to me. I can understand the mods mentioning it when someone with less than 10 posts appears to be advertising something but otherwise I've not found it an issue.

When I first arrived, I expressed an opinion on marathon running and some people in the fitness forum gave me hell for being a newbie and not knowing what I was taking about because of my low post-count. I'm an extremely experienced marathon runner and was gtting grief from someone who said he had never run further than 10 km. It peeved me quite a bit at the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It means nothing to me. I post when I have something to say, not just to increase a number. I don't get posing a load of spam just to increase your post count.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote:
    It means nothing to me. I post when I have something to say, not just to increase a number. I don't get posing a load of spam just to increase your post count.
    Nor do I, maybe Tar could explain it for us :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I can understand the mods mentioning it when someone with less than 10 posts appears to be advertising something but otherwise I've not found it an issue.

That's about the only time I pay attention to someone's postcount.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Hagar wrote:
    Does'nt matter at all, except perhaps to show that someone is active in the community.

My thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Not much, sometimes I'm amazed I've posted as many times as I have(though it's still relatively few).

postcount++ cha-ching :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It was important with the old For Sale section, I probably wouldn't buy from someone with a lower count but apart from that doesn't matter really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I disregard all views posted by anyone with a post-'02 regdate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭I_and_I

When looking at my own post count what I see is really something like a sundial, an indication of how long I have been posting on a certain forum. Other than that I don't think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

Ruu wrote:
    It was important with the old For Sale section, I probably wouldn't buy from someone with a lower count but apart from that doesn't matter really.
    You're quite the aul' post whore judging by your post count! You have posted an average of 9 times per day without fail over the last 5 years! WOW! I mean, seriously...

Actually - with that in mind - who is the biggest whore on Boards? i.e. who has highest average of posts per day???

Edit: it appears to be "Victor"

Total Posts: 28,862 (12.72 posts per day)

Futureman wrote:
    You're quite the aul' post whore judging by your post count! You have posted an average of 9 times per day without fail over the last 5 years! WOW! I mean, seriously...

Actually - with that in mind - who is the biggest whore on Boards? i.e. who has highest average of posts per day???

Edit: it appears to be "Victor"

Total Posts: 28,862 (12.72 posts per day)

Quit attacking people on here unless you want that ban reinstated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I, for one, trust no-one without an avatar selected!

<_<

>_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

nesf wrote:
    Quit attacking people on here unless you want that ban reinstated.
    Who did I "attack" and how? Enlighten me. I asked a question about who has the biggest post count - that's all! I called Ruu "an aul' pos whore" in jest/tongue in cheek - I guess you missed that. Nobody uses "aul'" seriously...

Can the mods on here please lighten up and stop taking sarcasm at face value please? I shoudn't be punished just because you can't tell when someone is only having a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

postcount means nothing to me...

i'm serious by the way

yup

+++

Futureman wrote:
    Can the mods on here please lighten up and stop taking sarcasm at face value please? I shoudn't be punished just because you can't tell when someone is only having a laugh.

Welcome to the internet, where people can't see your facial expressions or hear the tone in your voice. If you are going to be sarcastic about a user just remember that this is a written medium and it's easy to be misinterpreted and we have to react to what's written in the post.

• Advertisement

LundiMardi wrote:
    yup

+++
    ORLY?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'm still a relative noob but

post count is not important to me. I can understand the mods mentioning it when someone with less than 10 posts appears to be advertising something but otherwise I've not found it an issue.

When I first arrived, I expressed an opinion on marathon running and some people in the fitness forum gave me hell for being a newbie and not knowing what I was taking about because of my low post-count. I'm an extremely experienced marathon runner and was gtting grief from someone who said he had never run further than 10 km. It peeved me quite a bit at the time.

i think in general people with only a few posts are just not believed no matter what they say. but in fairness I have seen a lot of people with only a few posts claim to be experts in whatever the topic of a thread is and I guess would be less likely to believe them. However the longer I've been around boards the more I realised that there is quite a complex relationship between post count and usefulness of posts, getting into the 1000s doesn't mean anything except you have too much time on your hands :o

rb_ie wrote:
    ORLY?
    what you say about my momma?

daveym wrote:
    However the longer I've been around boards the more I realised that there is quite a complex relationship between post count and usefulness of posts, getting into the 1000s doesn't mean anything except you have too much time on your hands :o

Or you've been posting on and off for years. It's easy to have a couple of thousand posts if you've been a member for 4 or 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

LundiMardi wrote:

wow post 24 after hours is really slipping:rolleyes:

++ 368:D :D

Means nothing to me anyway.Who gives two fecks how many posts you have:cool:

nesf wrote:
    Or you've been posting on and off for years. It's easy to have a couple of thousand posts if you've been a member for 4 or 5 years.

well obviously i didn't mean you, you're golden.:)

daveym wrote:
    well obviously i didn't mean you, you're golden.:)

Eh, for me it's more a case of relieving boredom and/or putting off doing work than anything else..

nesf wrote:
    Eh, for me it's more a case of relieving boredom and/or putting off doing work than anything else..

emmm, so too much time on your hands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Postcount is not important on boards. There are well known posters and moderator with less than a thousand posts.
    Having said that, I would never date someone with less than 2000+ posts.

• Advertisement

LundiMardi wrote:
    Shes so fat, when she sits on my face I can't hear the stereo. There, I said it.

daveym wrote:
    emmm, so too much time on your hands?

Nah, more creating time via the wonder of procrastination. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

i guess it means something in somewhere like the poker forum if you're not too aware of who's who, if there's conflicting posters, it's probably safe to go with the 3k+ guy over the 26 guy.

Postcount means nothing to me. It's just a bunch of numbers really.
    rb_ie wrote:
    ORLY?

RLY!

i guess it means something in somewhere like the poker forum if you're not too aware of who's who, if there's conflicting posters, it's probably safe to go with the 3k+ guy over the 26 guy.

It doesn't really work though. I could go onto the poker forum and appear like I actually know a lot by that approach even though my poker knowledge pales in comparison to many of the guys on there with a small fraction of my post count.

On the 2+2 forums it'd be more applicable imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Basically, the more post counts you have, the harder you work.

:D

• Advertisement

nesf wrote:
    Nah, more creating time via the wonder of procrastination. ;)

me too, my post count has shot up now that I am working out my notice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

nesf wrote:
    Welcome to the internet, where people can't see your facial expressions or hear the tone in your voice. If you are going to be sarcastic about a user just remember that this is a written medium and it's easy to be misinterpreted and we have to react to what's written in the post.

in fairness his comment was obviously tongue in cheek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ShoveAllIn

As a long time bulletin board user i believe in neither. A post is a post.

Been on boards since 2000 btw.

go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

so wait, what's the difference between this thread and the one a couple of weeks ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

ShoveAllIn wrote:
    As a long time bulletin board user i believe in neither. A post is a post.

Been on boards since 2000 btw.

go figure.
    How come it says you joined in 06:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

not really, on the old forsale forums, it did slightly, but now with adverts, not really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ShoveAllIn

Reganio 2 wrote:
    How come it says you joined in 06:confused:

Internet. Serious business.

And stuff.

It's just an account on an internet bulletin board. try not to get sucked in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

biko wrote:
    Postcount is not important on boards. There are well known posters and moderator with less than a thousand posts.
    Having said that, I would never date someone with less than 2000+ posts.

DISCRIMINATION! I'm going to sue. And if I can't sue you I'll sue boards.ie. You boys are going down.*

*+ what else would I do on a Sunday night with a glass of wine in hand?! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Wow. you poker players really like your postcount.
    Mine could be stuck at zero and it wouldn't really bother.
    It's quality, not quantity.

Not that I'd know much about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

My post count means the world to me, and could literally be seen as an extension of my penis.

+++

Edit - typo.

+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Well i think it'd be very possible to have a very high postcount by going "your ma" in every after hours thread that could somehow trigger that response.

which shows exactly how accurate a postcount is in measuring someones contribution to a message board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

post count means nothing to me but i post in and read bargain alerts quite frequently so if i saw a bargain or a freebie from someone with a low post count i would be quite sceptical, fearing spam/scam

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If there was a guy in the adverts.ie section advertising Britney Spears freshly shorn locks and his post count was >200 I would have to reply to them wearing underpants.
    If your postcount is over 2000 and I'm replying to you, I dont have underwear on.
    It makes my work day quite hard to get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

connundrum wrote:
    My post count means the world to me, and could literally be seen as an extension of my penis.
    /Looks at connundrum's post count

/Looks at Vics postcount

connundrum is this <--> big*
    Vic is this <
    > big*

*a little birdie told me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Post count means everything to me, and every time I get an extra 100, another little light comes on upon my huge map of the world that I keep at my secret island base.
    Wait til you see what happens when I hit 4000 posts. MWAHAHAHAHA

• Advertisement
Advertisement