Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How important is post count and what does it mean to you

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Join date is the new post count

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Do away with post-count like in tCN.*

*Only saying that cause mine is so small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,076 ✭✭✭✭event

post counts should be abolished really, they serve no purpose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ruu wrote:
    It was important with the old For Sale section, I probably wouldn't buy from someone with a lower count but apart from that doesn't matter really.

Same. I rarely post on After Hours though....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It means everything to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

Postcount doesn't mean all that much to me. If someone has less than 10 you might be a bit skeptical if they are advertising something or have a link attached. Apart from that though I don't respect anyone more so because they have a higher post count, people who have a really high post count in a short space of time are probably spending too much time online and not out meeting people face to face.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Is it just me, or does anyone else get incredibly irritated by people that just seem to post worthless dribble, that in no way contribute to the topic in hand? I've been a member for quite a long time and I read boards.ie most days, but my post count is not very big because really I only post a message when I actually have something to add to the "conversation" or have a question or opinion I would like to share. However it drives me nuts how so many topics get littered with people who seem to be positing replies just to raise their post count, or put in some stupid little comment or snide remark.

There are other message boards that have a minimum post size, so you cannot just reply with "LOL", ";)" or some other pointless random addition to the thread. I think this would work very well on boards.ie

To be honest I rarely look at a persons post count, and really if it is a crazy high number and they have not been a member very long, it would probably have a negative affect on my opinion of someone that obviously spends way to much time in front of their pc...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It means everything to me.

Not as much as it does to me baby
    +++

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I check it if someones post sounds suspicious. Like if someone asks is this product is good and someone with one best declares it to be a product fit for the gods then I'll check post count. That's mostly in the broadband forums though. Other than that I couldn't give a crap about it and tend to look down on people that do. Everyone has a low post count at some point and its not like it means anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Nah it doesn't matter to me. Everyone, even the oldies had <10 posts at one stage!

Quality over quantity, on an aside to that....threads like: What are you doing; eating; wearing; listening to; right now that attract single word posts in their 000's and up & up postcounts annoy me!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

MooseJam wrote:
    lol

Seriously, how sad do yuo have to be to find that funny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Zascar wrote:
    Is it just me, or does anyone else get incredibly irritated by people that just seem to post worthless dribble, that in no way contribute to the topic in hand? I've been a member for quite a long time and I read boards.ie most days, but my post count is not very big because really I only post a message when I actually have something to add to the "conversation" or have a question or opinion I would like to share. However it drives me nuts how so many topics get littered with people who seem to be positing replies just to raise their post count, or put in some stupid little comment or snide remark.

There are other message boards that have a minimum post size, so you cannot just reply with "LOL", ";)" or some other pointless random addition to the thread. I think this would work very well on boards.ie

To be honest I rarely look at a persons post count, and really if it is a crazy high number and they have not been a member very long, it would probably have a negative affect on my opinion of someone that obviously spends way to much time in front of their pc...
    Serious business, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I have over 25000 posts on another forum i use :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Everyone's a comedian.
    Postcount ++ posts deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Zascar wrote:

actually it seems you can't reply with lol or ;) , mine were just deleted, someone is doing a stirling modding job / high fives mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Do posts count? (Like counting sheep at night?)

OK, when deciding whether I should open a link of a poster, I will look to see if they have been around awhile, cause I have been burned in the past by a new poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Burned how? By wasting a valuable 10 seconds opening a link to a thread that doesnt interest you :confused:
    But as far as I'm concerned, if im reading a post, its quality not quantity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Burned how? By wasting a valuable 10 seconds opening a link to a thread that doesnt interest you :confused:
    Naaaaa, by passing on a dirty site full of malware, spyware, adware, popups, worms, viruses, trojans, RATS, rootkits... just to name a few of the lovely possibilities.

I only use limited accounts, and am loaded down with all kinds of AV, passive blockers, firewall, anti-malware/adware/spyware programmes, etc., but a close friend of mine, also a boardsie, was not as internet security conscious and got trashed by opening a link on these boards just two weeks ago. He reported the OP (who happened to be a low post count OP new to boards), but that didn't do his trashed laptop any good.

You cannot be on boards for very long trashing others without our mods pouncing on you, which is a good thing, and protects those who have been around awhile, as well as those with low counts or new to boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

but a close friend of mine, also a boardsie, was not as internet security conscious and got trashed by opening a link on these boards just two weeks ago. He reported the OP (who happened to be a low post count OP new to boards), but that didn't do his trashed laptop any good.

"so like i went to this night club and met some burd there and took her back to meh place and like sexxed her but i didnt bother with johnnies or neting, but then when i woke up the next morning she was gone and like she stoled all my stuff and haxxored my xbox and now i found out i'm covered in teh AIDS and its all that night clubs fault!!11 stupid nightclub!!"

cos thats basically what you're saying, really if someones laptop is trashed because they opened a link.... well they probably shouldnt be on the internets in the first place :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

But as far as I'm concerned, if im reading a post, its quality not quantity.

Not every link is to a thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Obviously post count means little to me, I read forums quite a lot but but don't post very often, and as you can see I have only recently gotten around to even registering. But when I do post I like to have something to say, so as the old saying goes.....It's better to say nothing and have people think you a fool than to open your mouth and confirm it....

Bugger I just opened my mouth, I'll get me coat.

SM

Bambi wrote:
    cos thats basically what you're saying, really if someones laptop is trashed because they opened a link.... well they probably shouldnt be on the internets in the first place :)
    Such logic would suggest that you should not walk the Dub streets at night cause you might get assaulted? That innocent people should surrender the streets to the creeps at night? This is called blaming the victim, rather than the criminal?

The OP asked about the "meaning" of post count. Long time posters or those with a high post count typically have demonstrated that they do not trash their fellow boardsies (with corrupt links, or other forms of behaviour that violate rules), because if they did, they would not survive the mods. Rule of thumb: Links offered by new posters to boards you open at your own risk, cause they are unknowns and can only be proven over time or by post count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Doesn't mean anything to me TBH.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

swingking wrote:
    This kind of follows on from the previous thread about the posting in afterhours and its effect on post-count

how important is postcount and does someone who has massive amounts of posts rate better than someone who has a few posts

opinions?

To be completely practical a post count means nothing. Even a relatively high post count ratio to time actually registered won't give you any significant info about a posters contribution how ever helpfull or destructive, as a post count cant distinguish between the two it has little meaning

In nearly all cases a certain range of post counts are directly related to a pre-set amount of titles. this really only serves for humour or as a fun mechanism to incorporate into a friendly community

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Kenny 5 wrote:
    +1
    Did you miss something?
    The rest of the sheep went that way -->

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Rabies wrote:
    Did you miss something?
    The rest of the sheep went that way -->

Deleted, any more of this and I'll start doing more than just deleting the posts.

clownbag, posts celebrating 1,000 posts and whatever are viewed as spam and are deleted. Read the charter please.

Advertisement