Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mustard madness

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

sikes wrote:
    But this is what my argument boils down to, people who have high post counts and are big contributors should be treated differently to others.

Surely the converse applies? Experienced boardsies should know better than their lower post count brethren and therefore be more careful about what they post. They have less excuse for not knowing the limits and sticking to them.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Actually Sikes, there is a logical argument against your idea.

If we allow people who have a high post count to break or bend rules others werent allowed to without reasonable punishment then we'd have the situation where a single incident like this could be cleaned up but you encourage drunken "invasions" of one forum into another knowing that they have one "get out of jail free card". They can rinse and repeat every 6 months per group of 3-4 "big posters", per forum. This would be chaotic and raise the amount of work that our over-worked mods have to deal with far beyond the "screw this for a bag of chips, this isnt worth my daily effort". We'd lose mods in droves as morale plummets and the whole thing goes to wrack and ruin ultimately.

Not only that but since "special privileges" are afforded to big contributors, some people will spam to get them, making the situation worse, and ironically, DEGRADING the overall of quality of posts that you seek to maintain.

We do think about the way things are set up and what we change you know, its amazing what a small change can do to a complex system and if you think I'm merely making a mountain out of a molehill, I have two words for you:

Reputation System.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

Well I have absolutely no idea of the level of spamming etc and if people are really that sad to organise a drunken spamming session on another forum while still being an integral part of another, then you certainly have your work cut out.

You are certainly in a better position to weigh up the factors

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

If people are really that sad? Isn't that what caused this whole thing in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

ecksor wrote:
    If people are really that sad? Isn't that what caused this whole thing in the first place?

I have no idea.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Why can't we all just get along? The fact that several of the poker types are lowering their standards to posting outside of home turf is surely a basis for reconciliation!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

5starpool wrote:
    Why can't we all just get along? The fact that several of the poker types are lowering their standards to posting outside of home turf is surely a basis for reconciliation!!!!

How about a Mustard Access request forum....like the system for the soccer forum.... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

Ok seeing as I got banned because of this thread I think this thread is the best place to discuss the merits of my banning. I was essentially banned for a combination of complaining and joking. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would have seen straight away that my 'mustard fetish' comment was a joke. However, I do think that ecksor acted in a poor manner regarding not just mine, but all the bannings, especially rounders' banning. Obviously, he can ban who he wants whenever he wants, for no apparent reason, as can anyone who owns/mods the site. However, I fail to see what good it will do for the forums when you have mods who act this way. It can only create animosity in my opinion. From my own point of view though, there was absolutely no justifiable reason for my banning, and the sick part was I would probably have been banned for the whole three months had it not been for some of the 'feedback' in this thread.
    Anyway, its quite possible I could be banned for posting this, though I made sure to keep out any humour where possible, so hopefully this matter can be discussed without any rash actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Ok seeing as I got banned because of this thread I think this thread is the best place to discuss the merits of my banning. I was essentially banned for a combination of complaining and joking. Anyone with an ounce of common sense would have seen straight away that my 'mustard fetish' comment was a joke. However, I do think that ecksor acted in a poor manner regarding not just mine, but all the bannings, especially rounders' banning. Obviously, he can ban who he wants whenever he wants, for no apparent reason, as can anyone who owns/mods the site. However, I fail to see what good it will do for the forums when you have mods who act this way. It can only create animosity in my opinion. From my own point of view though, there was absolutely no justifiable reason for my banning, and the sick part was I would probably have been banned for the whole three months had it not been for some of the 'feedback' in this thread.
    Anyway, its quite possible I could be banned for posting this, though I made sure to keep out any humour where possible, so hopefully this matter can be discussed without any rash actions.

The reason is apparent, you tried to turn the mustard forum into a joke. The humor forum is for jokes. You clearly haven't learnt from the banning experience, and I for one suggest a 4 year ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

cardshark202, did you go to the mustard forum with any intention other than to have a laugh and poke fun at it?

• Advertisement

6th wrote:
    cardshark202, did you go to the mustard forum with any intention other than to have a laugh and poke fun at it?

I think you're a little unclear on what actually happened here.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would have seen straight away that my 'mustard fetish' comment was a joke.

I could say something similar about anyone who came to the false conclusion that I was treating any of this with a sense of humour.
    However, I do think that ecksor acted in a poor manner regarding not just mine, but all the bannings, especially rounders' banning.

I fail to see where the gap in my reasoning is as far as I've explained it both here and on the BB thread on poker.
    Obviously, he can ban who he wants whenever he wants, for no apparent reason, as can anyone who owns/mods the site.

Again, my reasons are both apparent and have been explained.
    However, I fail to see what good it will do for the forums when you have mods who act this way. It can only create animosity in my opinion. From my own point of view though, there was absolutely no justifiable reason for my banning, and [..]

Your point of view isn't really what I'm trying to satisfy here. There was a clear message here from the beginning in terms of trolling that forum. It is roughly "Stop that, shut up, go away, don't touch that". I have no problem with generating animosity since I don't think the mustard forum has lost any valuable contributors over this.
    [..]the sick part was I would probably have been banned for the whole three months had it not been for some of the 'feedback' in this thread.

Are you serious? This is utter newbieness on display if you think any whining here is going to get me off of whatever perch or high horse I've unreasonably assumed for whatever purpose [*]. I thought the message had been transmitted so I reduced the bans. Simple as. If you don't believe me then proceed to launch a campaign to reduce DocO's 6 month ban and see where it gets you.

[*] Obviously if the other admins object to something then I must listen to them, but the only other admin who expressed an opinion thought the bans were appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

amp wrote:
    This thread is stupid. Let's bring on the pictures of animals.

dramallamatw3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

cokecatmq5.jpg

Ok a couple of things:

1: I had nothing to do with the other posts in the mustard forum, this seems to have been lost on almost everybody, especially 6th who obviously posts before he thinks.

2: Why did you originally ban me for 3 months only to reduce it?

3: I was banned for 'trolling', what did I 'troll' exactly?

4: You should know from many of my posts in the poker forum that I will often use sarcasm and poke fun at other peoples inferiority, yet you seemed to have just either forgotten or ignored that when you read my post and banned me.

5: If someone mentioned in a feedback thread that all posters in the poker forum were 'degenerates', do you think they would be instabanned?

6. I don't know what DocO did or what he was banned for so I'll stay out of that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I think its called a 'lust for mustard'.

Otherwise known as "Lustard" ;)

2: Why did you originally ban me for 3 months only to reduce it?

I decided to exercise lenience since the message seemed to be getting through to people (DocO proved me wrong, but oh well).
    3: I was banned for 'trolling', what did I 'troll' exactly?

This thread.
    4: You should know from many of my posts in the poker forum that I will often use sarcasm and poke fun at other peoples inferiority, yet you seemed to have just either forgotten or ignored that when you read my post and banned me.

I often find your posts there unacceptable too but I don't moderate that forum and I reckon the mods there do an excellent job of managing a tough crowd so I'm not criticising their policies, especially since it seems to be to be a bit of a balancing act. You may recall more than once people making the point that how the poker forum is run doesn't necessarily indicate how other forums are run.
    5: If someone mentioned in a feedback thread that all posters in the poker forum were 'degenerates', do you think they would be instabanned?

Unlikely, but you never know.

Ok so my first couple of posts in this thread are trolling? Thats an interesting opinion alright. Your attitude regarding this is rather disturbing. Anyway, I guess I should just forgive and forget. Good luck with your mustard forum.

No, I considered the post for which I banned you to be trolling. You'd apparently given up on the thread and were just looking for a larf as far as I could see. I don't know why you refer to your first couple of posts, I made it pretty clear what post I banned you for.

Thanks for the good luck, I also hope all goes well with mustard despite my neglect of it over the last while. Similarly, I hope your poker games go well. Despite my criticisms of your posts I've seen firsthand that you're a talented player and I hope you do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Im reasonably certain that the mustard forum was set up as a wee experiment.
    To see that if a forum is set up about something random and basically completelyunforumworthy (yes it is a word); would people post there, and would the very existance of the forum stimulate discussion there.
    Not many people are interested enough in mustard to actually post on the internet about it, yet because the forum is there, people started topics and have actual conversations on mustard.

I reckon this is a running gag for X_OR, and lots of giggles have been had. ;)

• Advertisement

Your assessment is flawed. It doesn't take long wandering around certain supermarkets or speciality shops looking at the vast array of mustards suitable for many different occasions that there's a lot to it. People don't think of it as a common conversation piece but once you get a group who like their mustard talking about it you can find some pretty lively debate.

The Irish mustard market probably isn't even that lively compared to somewhere like Wisconson where they have quite lively celebrations of national mustard day and create things like raspberry mustard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

He's not wrong. The Duchess of Mustard says hello.
    http://www.mustardweb.com/images/MustardDay2006-52-m.jpg

Advertisement