Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help please :)

• 18-02-2007 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Ok so what i need help with is my home wireless network.
    I need to move my pc and xbox 360 into a seperate room, away from my wireless router so instead of wiring cables through the house im thinking of buying a wireless router and plugging my xbox and pc into it in a differant room.
    Will this work? as in that the router wouldnt have a phone line in it but that it would connect to the wireless router in the other room. Also Which router would you guys and gals recommend for this? i have eircom bband and i dont have a clue what the differance between dsl, adsl and cable modem/routers is :)

Thanks,
    Shane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Ok so what i need help with is my home wireless network.
    I need to move my pc and xbox 360 into a seperate room, away from my wireless router so instead of wiring cables through the house im thinking of buying a wireless router and plugging my xbox and pc into it in a differant room.
    Will this work? as in that the router wouldnt have a phone line in it but that it would connect to the wireless router in the other room. Also Which router would you guys and gals recommend for this? i have eircom bband and i dont have a clue what the differance between dsl, adsl and cable modem/routers is :)

Thanks,
    Shane
    You can try two linksys wrt54G/L/SL (WRT54G versions 1 to 4 only) and use one router for your xbox and pc and the other link to the eircom modem (Disable the wireless end of the eircom box and setup for modem use only). You can setup both as one wireless network with WPA2 encryption.
    The one connect to the modem will have control i.e. giving out IP address, MAC etc, and the other one is basically a repeater with additional functionality.

Thanks to guys out there like thibor who modified the vendor firmware, improve the functionality and then give it away for free. His web page is http://www.thibor.co.uk. Help pages are at http://www.linksysinfo.org and http://www.wrtrouters.com/

There is quite a bit of work involved but it is alot easier than before. You need some knowledge in computers and network setup and setting. There is a lot of information out there about this. Buy the model that is recommended. I have two WRT54G version 2 and they work great, I don’t have extensive needs like some (Printer/ back up servers). I don’t have XBOX on it, but others have used it some had problems or other had not. Problems and solutions are in the above websites I mentioned.
    Have fun with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

could i not just use my existing wireless modem and buy one extra router?
    as in have it as:

Phoneline
    eircom wireless modem """"""""""""""""""""""""" Other wireless modem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

could i not just use my existing wireless modem and buy one extra router?
    as in have it as:

Phoneline
    eircom wireless modem """"""""""""""""""""""""" Other wireless modem
    No, They Both routers need the same firmware for this setup to work.

You could use a game adaptor (Linksys WGA54G ) connected to the second router a - You could still use your existing router with it. If it does work you can still use it for your xbox anyway.

You can also get a wireless internal or USB card for your PC

so i could just buy, say another eircom modem? the same model number and make? then would it work? i dont exactly have a mountain of money :)

anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

So you want two routers? You want the second router, in the new location, to 'talk' with the existing router upstairs? If so, as you know, cable is the best way to facilitate this.

I have a similar setup but I use a wireless bridge from Linksys. Performance is great. Just need to reboot it now and again -- sometimes the wireless LED just keeps flashing even when there's no activity. I also had great fun installing it. Had a lengthy thread on it here!

If you're looking for better performance, you may want a pair of those devices for networking [wired] over your power lines. You'd plug one device into a socket upstairs near the main router and have the other downstairs beside the new router. Bandwidth is dependent on the quality of your wires, whether you're using them in power blocks, etc. Two popular ones ATM come from Devolo and Netgear. Maplin sell them. Aim for 85 Mbps bandwidth or faster.

so would this work instead?

network.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Yes , it would work fine , better and cheaper than wireless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

so would this work instead?

network.JPG
    Yes. Just need two sockets for the two adapters. Happy networking.

and what kind of cable would i use? (sorry just whats the diff between patcs, crossover etc. :s) the pc/xbox would plug straight into the ethernet socket

• Advertisement

anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

CAT 5e cable is fine. For this setup all cables should be wired straight (not crossover). If wiring your own cables, you'll also need two RJ45 plugs (or 6 if you are also making patch cables), an RJ45 crimper, and probably a punchdown tool to wire the sockets.

Advertisement