Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong Tiles Down - Removable?

Options
  • 18-02-2007 7:46pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    did one of the most stupid things I've done today..have 4 rooms to tile in the new house, including two bathrooms..both upstairs..well i mixed up the tiles and have about 3/4 of one of the bathrooms floors tiled with the wrong tile..they're not that far apart in fairness, but the gf is pretty upset about it. The first of the tiles went down on saturday, last of what is done this evening...there is no grouting done, but it was the quick setting adhesive, they're upstairs bathrooms onto plywood...

is there any way of getting them up to put down the right ones?

Comments

I've just spent the last few days tiling as well, [EMAIL="bl@@dy"]bl@@dy[/EMAIL] hard to get off a few seconds later let alone a couple of days.

The tile cement is rapid setting but it takes a week to fully harden, speed is important!

The only suggestion I have is to wet the tiles and use an old saw to cut between the tiles & floor you may be lucky enough to save some tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Get yourself a spade and get ready for a bit of sweat. They'll come up alright but I wouldn't bank on using any of them again. You might need a hammer and chisel also for more stubborn bits. You'll probably have to use floor leveler before fixing the correct tiles.

You couldnt swap the tiling plan from one bathroom to the other and stick with whats down and use the other tiles in the bathroom that's still to be done??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

leaving them down is an option, herself is going to check them in the morning..but to be honest there is a bit of a difference between them...

we're going to attack them in the morning witha chisel...hopefully the fact that they are on wood will help a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

mossym wrote:
    leaving them down is an option, herself is going to check them in the morning..but to be honest there is a bit of a difference between them...

we're going to attack them in the morning witha chisel...hopefully the fact that they are on wood will help a lot

that in fact will make it alot harder

a hammer and chisel is your best option to be honest, you could rent a tiny kango hammer and geta special bent shape chisel head, but sure you`d break them up in about hour max, but dont think you`ll use them tiles again

sorry to be the bearer of bad news :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

actually meant to reply to this to post an update

all tiles came up, if they had been grouted we wouldn't have had a hope...that and the fact that some were down less than 24 hours, there was a huge difference in the ones that had been down for longer..if they had been down a week we would never have moved them...

they had of course a ton of adhesive on the back...we wirebrushed a lot with an angle grinder and they were reused...hten realised it was costing us as much in wire brushes as tiles so i bought a few extra boxes...both bathrooms are now tiled, one is grouted and the other will be by the weekend...

so all is good again..now for the kitchen..:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement